Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Originally Posted by Doc_Holidude
Wow…that is one hideous looking bolt action! Not sure who they figure they’re targeting with that, but I can’t imagine die hard Sako lovers think it’s better than what they already have. I get it’s a switch barrel multi caliber do all rifle, but damn…that’s uuuugggggllyy. 🙈

Doc_Holidude
I believe that's a fine example of what Chuck Hawks dubbed "Eurotrash" style.

Chuck Hawks now there is a gun authority.
Could have gone with the U-G-L-Y song instead?

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Amazing! Just think, you can buy just one rifle and change it around to suit any game or cartridge you want. Never have to buy another one! Wow. Just wow.

Never heard anything like it before 🙄

Pappy, SigArms marketed their 970 SHR back in 2000. It was a switch barrel with two different action lengths and two different bolts for standard .473” and magnum .532”. Jon Sundra did some testing with the 30-06 by zeroing then taking barrel off, slapping it back on for accuracy, in doing so it held a 1.25” MOA.

SigArms didn’t sell very many but price point back then was around $400. Extra barrels were available. The bolt simply locked into the barrel itself unlike a typical action where the bolt locks into the action itself.

SigArms eventually dropped it and went to switch barrels on their expensive models with straight pull actions.

It looks like this SAKO could be a straight pull action with rear bolt and part of action moving on a rail. I didn’t see them define it. Looks like they are just copying SigArms type rifles with switch barrel technology.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Doc_Holidude
Wow…that is one hideous looking bolt action! Not sure who they figure they’re targeting with that, but I can’t imagine die hard Sako lovers think it’s better than what they already have. I get it’s a switch barrel multi caliber do all rifle, but damn…that’s uuuugggggllyy. 🙈

Doc_Holidude
I believe that's a fine example of what Chuck Hawks dubbed "Eurotrash" style.

Chuck Hawks now there is a gun authority.
Could have gone with the U-G-L-Y song instead?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Originally Posted by Rossimp
Amazing! Just think, you can buy just one rifle and change it around to suit any game or cartridge you want. Never have to buy another one! Wow. Just wow.

Never heard anything like it before 🙄

Pappy, SigArms marketed their 970 SHR back in 2000. It was a switch barrel with two different action lengths and two different bolts for standard .473” and magnum .532”. Jon Sundra did some testing with the 30-06 by zeroing then taking barrel off, slapping it back on for accuracy, in doing so it held a 1.25” MOA.

SigArms didn’t sell very many but price point back then was around $400. Extra barrels were available. The bolt simply locked into the barrel itself unlike a typical action where the bolt locks into the action itself.

SigArms eventually dropped it and went to switch barrels on their expensive models with straight pull actions.

It looks like this SAKO could be a straight pull action with rear bolt and part of action moving on a rail. I didn’t see them define it. Looks like they are just copying SigArms type rifles with switch barrel technology.

You mean Sig Sauer? Yeah I bought one of those in 270 win , it was a nice rifle , a little on the heavy side but it shot great. Made in Switzerland.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Back then it was SigArms for conducting sales and distribution of the 970SHR rifle for USA distribution.

Last edited by Rossimp; 12/12/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m glad I got my Sako when I did. Supposedly multi barrel options are popular in Europe with European gun laws. I have zero interest in switching barrels. I like collecting guns not barrels. Zero interest in a do all rifle. I want stocks, steel types, action lengths ect tailored to a purpose and ready to go, not a one size fits all rifle.

IC B2

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seems Like they are trying to re invent the wheel and make or bring a new style Of bolt actions. It’s not ugly, but it’s not pretty by any means.
Probably because it’s out of the standard norm. Too bad I can’t buy guns anymore. I want more wood stock Rifles. Regret not getting more 527 or 550.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Well that’s a disappointment. I was hoping that the replacement for the 85 would be very similar to the 85 but with the ejection issue fixed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rossimp

It's not a straight pull. https://www.sako.fi/sako-100-legendary-bolt-action

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It looks like they incorporate a new proprietary scope mounting system.

That should be popular...

Sako should just file bankruptcy.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
T
Tarquin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by kingston

They probably will after this latest marketing move. IMHO, they do not understand the American market and why American shooters have historically loved Sakos.

Tarquin
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My Sako 85 (6.5x55) is probably my favorite hunting rifle. It works well, shoots incredibly well and is not hard to look at. I have never experienced any “ejection issues.”

Realistically, I will probably never buy another hunting rifle. I’m actually trying to thin the herd. (Never mind that I just bought another shotgun and have my greedy eyes on a particular nickel N-frame.) If, for some reason, I felt compelled to get another hunting rifle I would give this Sako a close look. From the pictures I don’t think it looks bad…different, but not bad. I’d probably look for a reason to have a couple of different caliber set-ups just to switch back and forth because I like the level of manufacturing precision necessary to make that work. I have a Sako Quad 4 barrel set that works well.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I like the early L-61’s

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don’t really care. As with most quality firearms, Sako peaked in the 60’s with the Pre-Garcia/Bofors guns. I keep my eyes out for those guns and will add one once in awhile.

I do have a 75 deluxe 300 Weatherby that is a nice gun with the covered bolt and no lock. The 75 with the drop floor plate is a decent gun, but that 75 with the proboscis sticking out the rear of the bolt is too hideous.

I have one 85 heavy barrel in 223 and it is a nice gun, but nothing like the 60’s Bofors guns.

Where Sako is headed, I don’t know and really don’t care. The best Sakos have all been made and sold years ago…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Where do you see the 85 is being discontinued? Their website still shows many different style 85s, I didn't see anything about it being discontinued, just looks like the 100 is additional model, not a replacement.

Last edited by DHN; 12/13/22.

Dale

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A while back I ended up on the CZ site for Yurrup because I was using a VPN with a euro IP address. That’s where I first heard that they were discontinuing the old rifle models in favor of the 600s. Caught a little crap here when I posted about it because the U.S. site didn’t mention it. Didn’t take long for them to catch up though, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Sako is gonna do whatever they think will make them the most money. The U.S. market is just one piece of their pie. Just like with CZ’s dumped models, owners of the old ones better get magazines and other bits while they can.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Tarquin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by DHN
Where do you see the 85 is being discontinued? Their website still shows many different style 85s, I didn't see anything about it being discontinued, just looks like the 100 is additional model, not a replacement.

Phone convo with Eurooptic on Monday. He said they are Sako's biggest American distributor and he was adamant about it. I wanted to bring in another new Sako Bavarian in.223 Remington and he said it couldn't be done.

Tarquin
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Anyone see weight specs on the 100?

I'm guessing it's gonna be fairly heavy, even the carbon stock version. Lots of "stuff" going on with that rifle and the weight adds up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wonder what the EuroOptic sales guys think about the new 100’s. I live about 20 minutes from the shop…might have to stop in and see what their thoughts are regarding these hideous new beasts.

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by kingston

Sako is gonna do whatever they think will make them the most money. The U.S. market is just one piece of their pie.

Europe's gun laws strongly favor switch-barrel capability, so they are serving their target market.

And following Blaser's lead, they have decided more profit can be made by selling expensive barrels and scope mounts than by selling complete rifles.

The rifle reminds me most of a Sauer 200/202 which were switch-barrel too. Unfortunately they failed to duplicate the trim clean lines of the Sauer.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
May as well. Because Sako 85s are steaming piles of dog crap. Owned 2 that had "ejection issues"

Never again.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,792
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.