Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by EdM
[quote=Rock Chuck]You can only have fair chase with wild animals. These are livestock. They're bred and raised to be shot, just like an angus steer but with big antlers.

Which is how the hunt appears to have been represented, legally.

Legal or not, this is not a “hunt.” This is a livestock harvest in a high fence pasture with captive animals. This is no different than a guy walking out to pasture and shooting a beef cow for 30k. Good for him and anybody that supports this BS

GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
It's not even a good looking bull. He must be proud.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ehunter
It's not even a good looking bull. He must be proud.
That's glossing it over. The bull is freaking ooogly.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tater74
I have an acquaintance near Brownwood, TX with 1,200 fenced acres.

They sell hunts, whitetail and elk.

He told me a guy drove out from Dallas to shoot a 6-point elk.
He asked the shooter if he wanted the elk turned loose out of the 40 acre pasture that it was in.
Nope, just got out of his vehicle and shot the elk.

I guess he had the itch and the money, but I wouldn't do it.

I’ve never been elk hunting, but it is a dream of mine.

But this ain’t the way to do it.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I've seen wild elk along side a road many times. The difference is that they will watch a car drive by but the second you stop and open a door, they vaporize.

― George Orwell

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have no words to describe the feelings preserves of this type stir in me. I would have less an issue if the rich were hunting actual humans.......

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
You can only have fair chase with wild animals. These are livestock. They're bred and raised to be shot, just like an angus steer but with big antlers.
And a fat Angus steer would taste a heap better (elk is not bad) and cost a whole lot less. And unless you lie and cover up what you did your "trophy" was livestock and harvested in a pen. I know, it was a big pen.

After I retired I patrolled for a group of landowners some of whom were high fence operations. I disliked what I saw and what I dealing with so I quit. It wasn't hunting by any stretch of the imagination.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If some rich person wants to make a farmer / rancher wealthier while leaving more wild elk for the rest of us, I see that as a win / win. There are certainly some downsides, and it seems about the same as paying to shoot a huge Texas Longhorn cow for the horns. Not something I'm interested in, but to each their own.

Last edited by Woodsman1991; 01/30/23.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I've never seen one of those farm animal wall mounts. I've never had anyone who shot one brag about their 'hunting prowess'. I've never heard a rich man brag about being able to afford shooting one. I've never been bothered with any results of raising or shooting them. My concern is being able to find a wild one and bring it home. It's a different world from what I know and I couldn't care less what they do.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Not my cup of tea for the most part. Though I'd shoot a bison behind a fence like a lot of other stuff for the meat.

After all if its legal, and the shooter is happy with the results and the cost and the effort, then more power to them.

We hunted for meat to live. Thats how it started. Ethics is something I preach a lot. Yet OTOH is it different how... from buying your meat at the store?

Now if you do it, want to brag its hunting etc...then thats your choice I suppose.

I will say this much. As a guide many years ago the owners had a 640 acre fenced in with a few red stags. One hunter wanted this one stag. Did our best to find that stag the first day. I am sure we walked around in circles. Him knowing the drill I suspect.
Next day I simply found a spot they should go through at some point... lets just say it was a long day but the hunter got his stag. Bothered me none. But then again I've shot a lot of hogs in a pen tame and wild. Shot a few beef on the hoof. Etc...

The older I get the more I try not to be holier. And the more I do things for me ONLY the way I want to do them, with zero influence from anyone else.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 2,985 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,930
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.