Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
In October. Someone was playing with the genes on this one. It's a monstrosity. I wonder how much he paid to shoot it.

[Linked Image from outdoorlife.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Wow!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'd guess cost of that bull to be between 25 and 35k.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Better him than I

Hang on tight !
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll never understand a "hunt" like this...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
What part of Idaho? I have a cousin that runs an elk ranch where you pick out a bull from a pasture, then they haul it up to some private land that looks like elk hunting ground, then you "hunt" it. Five figures to start. Lots of people have lots of money and are utterly worthless.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
It's the Broadmouth Canyon Ranch near Firth (near Idaho Falls). Here's a link to the article I saw: TAME ELK
They have a Facebook page with photos of giant mulies, buffalo, and big horns, too. They have about 15 square miles.

― George Orwell

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
It's the Broadmouth Canyon Ranch near Firth (near Idaho Falls). Here's a link to the article I saw: TAME ELK
They have a Facebook page with photos of giant mulies, buffalo, and big horns, too. They have about 15 square miles.
Thanks, Rock Chuck. That isn't my cousin's operation. BCR belongs to Rulon Jones and family.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's not hunting..it's disgusting

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I wonder how much he paid to shoot it.

I wonder how far back the shooter got for the pic. Looks like he's in the next county.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Brad

Me neither.
What’s the point in such an endeavor.

NRA Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those antlers look like they've been laying on the ground and out in the weather for a while. The rotten velvet is one thing but the the bear antler looks weathered. looking at the base of the antlers,,,, Looks shopped to me.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I don't know how a bull could rub them off when they're shaped like that. I'm pretty sure they're real. When you start playing genetic roulette, you can come up with some weird stuff.

Did you read this on the link:
Dhooghe shot his first bull (which scored 571 inches) during one of his first mornings on the ranch. The next day, he joined a group of four other folks for an afternoon elk drive, where the shooters lined up at the end of a patch of timber and the guides walked through the trees pushing the animals out. The others were looking for 300- to 400-class bulls, so when they saw the record-sized bull step out, there was no question as to who would take the shot.

“We’re all sitting there when up comes this thing,” Dhooghe says. “We saw him close to 400 yards, so I put him in my scope and the damn thing didn’t even fit in there!”

Dhooghe shouldered his .300 Weatherby and waited for the bull to reach 150 yards. With the bull quartering to him, he aimed in front of its shoulder and fired. The hand-loaded, 180-grain Nolser Accubond bullet took out the bull’s heart, and after trotting about 15 feet, the massive animal cartwheeled over and died.

The shooters just stood there while drivers pushed the elk out of the trees. It was a cattle drive, not a hunt.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like someone took a picture of some dead New Zealand freak elk and shopped on a local elk.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Scored at 648". That's 200 more than the record PA elk on the other thread and that's a huge elk. This one isn't a freak of nature. It's a freak of pasture breeding.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ok, if true, it's no more than a Holstein cow or bull in this case. Man has breed animals to be larger, product more meat, milk and pull wagon and plows over time. In the last 5 decals people have worked on producing big antlers. It comes as no surprise to me. Just another sign of the times. I'm really surprised that people who pay for hunts like that, think it's a real trophy instead of just shooting someone Holstein Elk.

Last edited by MickinColo; 12/17/22.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by hotsoup
25-35 won’t touch it. Have a friend that let his wife shoot one 405” or a little better at BCR. It was right at double that amount for that (sic) hunt.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I suppose if I was compensating for a tiny dick and my $150k lifted 3/4 ton wasn't cutting it, I'd want to shoot pasture bulls and get them mounted.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The guy that shot that elk also hunts on Pheasant farms where they tie the pheasant to trees

KB

Last edited by KillerBee; 12/17/22.

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Not for me, though I also won't judge. There's lots of operations like this in Idaho and most every other state. It is their money and as long as they don't try to enter it into B&C or otherwise lie about the situation, I have no objection to it.

I worked on an elk ranch like this one fall when in college. It was fun, but pathetic. I came across no "hunter" that wasn't 100% cognizant of what they were getting themselves into. Most of them fully acknowledged it was nothing but a money transaction. They were OK with it and so was I.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 10at6
That's not hunting..it's disgusting

I agree. What some guys will do to get a set of antlers on the wall.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Umm…no thank you. Whatever makes the dude happy I guess, but no thank you for me. Congrats to him, I spose. 🙄

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A rather hideous "trophy" if you ask me.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Not the bull that gets me up in the morning.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Me neither.

I’m guessing this is Rulon Jones Idaho place?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I worked on an elk ranch like this one fall when in college. It was fun, but pathetic. I came across no "hunter" that wasn't 100% cognizant of what they were getting themselves into.

Most high fence hunters I’ve met did not fully understand what the situation was.

High fence hunting is not legal in many Rocky Mountain states and many/most other states in the west last I knew. Idaho, Utah, and New Mexico are notable exceptions.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Me neither.

I’m guessing this is Rulon Jones Idaho place?
Yes.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Yep, Rulon Jones……

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I worked on an elk ranch like this one fall when in college. It was fun, but pathetic. I came across no "hunter" that wasn't 100% cognizant of what they were getting themselves into.

Most high fence hunters I’ve met did not fully understand what the situation was.

High fence hunting is not legal in many Rocky Mountain states and many/most other states in the west last I knew. Idaho, Utah, and New Mexico are notable exceptions.

Then our experience differers with that.

I do think you are right about the high fence operations in the west though, now that I think about it. I believe operations such as this are illegal in Montana and maybe Wyoming too, but those states have similar bison hunts, so it kind of gets blurry. Not totally sure, to be honest. I believe in some states private elk herds are considered livestock and thus operations such as this are not considered "hunting", so that is one loophole I guess.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are you guys aware that the connection between Elk Farms and the introduction of CWD into the wild ungulate populations has been made?

That's why I am against it, CWD has had dramatic effects on our Mule Deer Populations in Alberta and Saskatchewan! As in REALLY BAD EFFECTS!

KB

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Then our experience differers with that.

I do think you are right about the high fence operations in the west though, now that I think about it. I believe operations such as this are illegal in Montana and maybe Wyoming too, but those states have similar bison hunts, so it kind of gets blurry. Not totally sure, to be honest. I believe in some states private elk herds are considered livestock and thus operations such as this are not considered "hunting", so that is one loophole I guess.

You’re right in that where wildlife ends and livestock begins can be a blurry line.

Bison were generally considered livestock at one time, so that line is even blurrier…..

In Colorado critters like domestic deer and elk cannot be hunted and killed for a fee. Now if Rulon wanted to let us shoot his bulls for free……

How many of you are aware Rulon Jones was an All Pro defensive lineman for the Orange Crush back in the day?

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

In Idaho, privately owned animals are considered as livestock. They're regulated by the state Dept of Agriculture, not by the Fish & Game, so the dept of Ag sets any rules. The owners can butcher or sell them in any manner they want as long as it's humane. They're required to have all privately owned animals ear tagged for identification.
Maybe 15 years ago, a high fence farm a few miles from Yellowstone had a bear tear down a fence and about 100 to 150 elk got loose. The owner wasn't having much luck rounding them up and didn't report it for weeks. To prevent them from mixing with wild elk, the governor (currently US senator Jim Risch), ordered a carte blanche on any elk wearing an ear tag. They could be shot on sight by anyone, not just hunters. I don't think all that many got shot and I have no idea how many were finally captured. I think quite a few mixed with the wild herd.

As for ethics, they're livestock. In Idaho, we like our freedom and here we have the freedom to raise and slaughter livestock as we wish. I have no interest in 'hunting' them, but I support the right to do so. It's a business, just like selling cattle or pigs for slaughter. If someone with a lot of money is willing to pay to shoot a cow in a pasture, that's their business.

― George Orwell

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Are you guys aware that the connection between Elk Farms and the introduction of CWD into the wild ungulate populations has been made?

That's why I am against it, CWD has had dramatic effects on our Mule Deer Populations in Alberta and Saskatchewan! As in REALLY BAD EFFECTS!

Amen.

Also a lot of the domestic elk have red deer genetics (which may partly explain some of the freak antlers) and just like livestock, some will ALWAYS escape at some point.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
High fence hunting is unethical. Importantly, how hunters are perceived by the general public is important for our continued privilege to hunt.

In Colorado domestic wildlife like elk are regulated by the state Dept of Ag. Previously they were regulated by Colorado Parks & Wildlife.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Technically it was the captive mule deer herd at CSU in Ft Collins Colorado that gave us the blight of CWD.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho's Dept of Ag requires all cervids being imported to be tested for CWD and brucellosis.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Amen.

Also a lot of the domestic elk have red deer genetics (which may partly explain some of the freak antlers) and just like livestock, some will ALWAYS escape at some point.

CWD has decimated our MD populations for several reasons. Where I hunted 20 years ago I would see 150+ Mulies every day, now if I see 15 its a good day.

By law we have to now take every deer in to the Gov to have it tested and if its CWD positive, into the garbage the meat goes!

Humans F everything up!

Last edited by KillerBee; 12/18/22.

KB

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
High fence hunting is unethical. Importantly, how hunters are perceived by the general public is important for our continued privilege to hunt.

In Colorado domestic wildlife like elk are regulated by the state Dept of Ag. Previously they were regulated by Colorado Parks & Wildlife.

I know you're referring to the canned operations like in the OP, but I am curious about what you consider "high fence".

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Amen.

CWD has decimated our MD populations for several reasons. Where I hunted 20 years ago I would see 150+ Mulies every day, now if I see 15 its a good day.

By law we have to now have every deer tested and if its CWD positive, into the garbage the meat goes!

Humans F everything up!

I wonder why cwd decimates mule deer but not elk...weird stuff.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 12/17/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by hotsoup
25-35 won’t touch it. Have a friend that let his wife shoot one 405” or a little better at BCR. It was right at double that amount for that (sic) hunt.

So this dude just dropped well over $100K? I'd like to think that if I had that kind of money to blow I'd do something more memorable.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Makes two of us

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft

Makes two of us

Make that 3.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Technically it was the captive mule deer herd at CSU in Ft Collins Colorado that gave us the blight of CWD.

Ironically (well, maybe ironically), those captive deer came from game farms in Minnesota and Saskatchewan. This occurred in the early 60’s. To this day they have never determined if the deer arrived with the prions present in them or if they contracted it from wild deer on the other side of the fence. The facility bordered public and private ground that is still open space where both muleys and white tails are present.

A small herd of bighorns that were also at the facility at the time ended up with CWD.

The post grad student who was studying the deer at the time eventually identified the disease and the prions present in the deer. The existence of prions and their connection to CWD and all forms of TSE’s were only discovered in the early 60’s.

At the time it was a big deal for the post grad student to discover the presence of prions in wild ungulantes (in this case captive deer) because nobody understood what the disease was when it had been encountered in the wild previously. Only later it was understood to be what has become to be known as CWD.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lonny
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft

Makes two of us

Make that 3.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
I wonder why cwd decimates mule deer but not elk...weird stuff.

It may still happen. It is speculated (emphasis on speculation) by biologists that TSE's in the wild tends to run in cycles. It is also speculated that warmer weather/climate may enhance the transmission of the disease from one individual to another. There is evidence that ungulates crowded onto ever smaller winter range is making the disease more prevalent.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ll take the experience, memories, and overall charm of my small freak elk over that one any day. Fair chase…so fair in fact…my guide and I waded across the Williams Fork River(8” deeper than my boots at the time)to get a shot opportunity at him. Got a nice cow about 20 minutes later just before dark that day as well. Not a record freak elk…but damn sure a trophy to me, and I smile every time I look at the antlers on the wall. If that’s what that fella feels, then good deal for him. 😎

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I know you're referring to the canned operations like in the OP, but I am curious about what you consider "high fence".

The easy answer is critters behind a 6ft fence, ostensibly elk proof (or any other game critter proof).

In the case of Rulon Jones and most other of these kind of operations, those elk are raised in pastures--might be 10 acres, might be a 100 acres--fed lots of high nutrition diets, then released into larger enclosures--might be a few hundred acres, might be 1500 acres--a few days before the "hunters" show up. Those elk are the proverbial "Babes In The Woods" when it comes to survival. A few may be wily enough to give a guy a short run for his money, but the learning curve is exceedingly short......

There are varying degrees of that scenario, and yes, there are the large Texas game farms where exotic critters are inside of 10,000 acre enclosures and roam freely year round, and even though those critters can give a guy a challenge I still consider that unethical to some degree.

A guy's first clue he is entering a game farm or Jurassic Park is when he passes through the 6 foot high gate--electrified or not..... smile

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Gotcha. I knew those elk on Rulon Jones's place and many other similar operations are pen raised and then released into a fenced area, whether the day before the hunt or months beforehand. No desire here regardless, under any of those circumstances.

I have changed my tune considering high fence areas somewhat though as one of the most difficult animals I have ever hunted was fallow deer in Argentina behind a fence that was several thousand acres and had several areas where pigs and whatnot had dug holes under it. Those critters came and went as they pleased and as far as I knew, the fallow there were free breeding. I didn't see a deer for 4-5 days and finally got a young buck that was as skittish as any whitetail I have hunted. There are plenty of wild deer or islands in SE AK that are smaller than those enclosures and while deer do swim, they often don't leave whatever island they're on even if hunted.

By contrast about the easiest hunt I have ever been on was caribou 100 miles from any road. That was like shooting cattle that were being driven. Assuming you got in front of where they wanted to go there was zero challenge to it. Same with musk ox in Greenland. I wouldn't doubt the bull in the OP was more of a challenge than those hairy beasts were, other than the travel and weather extremes.

It is all perspective, I guess.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Ironically (well, maybe ironically), those captive deer came from game farms in Minnesota and Saskatchewan. This occurred in the early 60’s. To this day they have never determined if the deer arrived with the prions present in them or if they contracted it from wild deer on the other side of the fence. The facility bordered public and private ground that is still open space where both muleys and white tails are present.

A small herd of bighorns that were also at the facility at the time ended up with CWD.

The post grad student who was studying the deer at the time eventually identified the disease and the prions present in the deer. The existence of prions and their connection to CWD and all forms of TSE’s were only discovered in the early 60’s.

At the time it was a big deal for the post grad student to discover the presence of prions in wild ungulantes (in this case captive deer) because nobody understood what the disease was when it had been encountered in the wild previously. Only later it was understood to be what has become to be known as CWD.
There's another theory that scrapie, which was being studied at the same CSU facility prior to the deer study, was able to cross the species barrier.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
This operation is just down the road. Not for me. No respect for those who do it but like others say it’s legal so whatever floats your boat. Not a hell of a lot of difference than shooting a Texas whitetail at a feeder

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That isn't hunting. That's paying for an assassination. The shooter" is a POS with $.

He is just a different version of Roundoak.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i guess i will pose this. how big of an area does it require to be fair chase? a 10,000 Acre fenced in area would be unfathomable to truly understand to a guy who has spent all his life hunting the same 100 acres

Last edited by gitem_12; 12/18/22.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
There's another theory that scrapie, which was being studied at the same CSU facility prior to the deer study, was able to cross the species barrier.

They weren't studying scrapie because it wasn't specifically known at that time. Scrapie is another form of TSE specific to sheep. CWD is a form of TSE specific to cervids. BSE is a form of TSE specific to bovines. Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease is a form of TSE specific to humans. And so on. The general name for these diseases are known as TSE's--Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathy (I dare ya to pronounce it quickly). The prion that causes TSE was not discovered until shortly before the deer at CSU arrived. And it was more than a year after they arrived the deer became obviously sick. Prions can be present in a critter or human for years before the disease becomes apparent.

It has been only more recently discovered Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease was prevalent in the Russian Czar family possibly going back 500 years. We just thought they were crazy.......

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
T Inman,
I know, as I said the line can get blurrier and blurrier. I think what bothers me the most about Rulon Jones that it is not clearly stated the circumstances of the hunt, many people from back east are not aware it is high fence--our very own Pugs and Jorge for example. There was a new member here a couple years ago from back east who breathlessly announced his wife had purchased a hunt on Broadmouth. He clearly did not understand it was a high fence hunt.

Whoever wrote the info on the Broadmouth literature and website is really, really good at being deceptive without being legally deceptive.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
T Inman,
I know, as I said the line can get blurrier and blurrier. I think what bothers me the most about Rulon Jones that it is not clearly stated the circumstances of the hunt, many people from back east are not aware it is high fence--our very own Pugs and Jorge for example. There was a new member here a couple years ago from back east who breathlessly announced his wife had purchased a hunt on Broadmouth. He clearly did not understand it was a high fence hunt.

Whoever wrote the info on the Broadmouth literature and website is really, really good at being deceptive without being legally deceptive.

Understood, and agree for the most part.

I do not remember that new member talking about it but Pugs and his crew made it clear they knew what they were doing and never tried to hide it or be deceitful. If I remember right it was in the very first sentence of that thread.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I may have not remembered it all correctly, but I do recall teasing Jorge about it..... grin

The public sees that kind of hunting and equates it with fair chase sport hunting, to me that's the danger.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
T Inman,

Caveat emptor.

If you find a purposefully vague website, charging mid-five-figures on private ground, and a guaranteed animal, that's a livestock business. I can't quite imagine the person who wouldn't understand that, unless they chose to be intentionally oblivious, or they inherited all that cash. Technically, it fits a definition of hunting. It's also commerce.

I understand guys who pay for land use, or who pay for guide services. But paying for an animal is buying livestock.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm glad I brought up CWD, quite the discussion!

The day you find me hunting an animal in an enclosure is well.............never, the entire concept is sick to me, and the ramifications to wild animals has been devastating.

That's what you get for designing a Frankenstein Elk for some rich dude to shoot and playing with nature, CWD, just like us humans custom designed Covid.

Leave nature alone, Let God design the genetics, he does a way better job!

Last edited by KillerBee; 12/18/22.

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

They weren't studying scrapie because it wasn't specifically known at that time. Scrapie is another form of TSE specific to sheep. CWD is a form of TSE specific to cervids. BSE is a form of TSE specific to bovines. Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease is a form of TSE specific to humans. And so on. The general name for these diseases are known as TSE's--Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathy (I dare ya to pronounce it quickly). The prion that causes TSE was not discovered until shortly before the deer at CSU arrived. And it was more than a year after they arrived the deer became obviously sick. Prions can be present in a critter or human for years before the disease becomes apparent.

It has been only more recently discovered Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease was prevalent in the Russian Czar family possibly going back 500 years. We just thought they were crazy.......
Was CSU studying whatever had been causing sheep to get sick and die for centuries, they just didn't know at the time they were studying scrapie?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gitem_12
i guess i will pose this. how big of an area does it require to be fair chase? a 10,000 Acre fenced in area would be unfathomable to truly understand to a guy who has spent all his life hunting the same 100 acres
100 acres of solid forest is nothing at all like 10k acres of mixed sagebrush and timber patches like what's found in much of southern Idaho. You can find open areas of sagebrush a square mile or more in size, often a LOT more. You can find large patches of timber but with equally large open areas between them. The timber patches often extend up the sides of steep mountains or draws, making secluded escape routes for elk.

The OP article says that the ranch workers stationed several hunters at the edge of a timber patch to wait while they moved through to chase the elk out. They knew exactly where they'd come out. Wild elk aren't going to be chased out into the open like that. They'll double back and will use a hidden escape route. It's amazing how a spooked elk can disappear. These elk aren't wild.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

+1!

I'd rather take a wild raghorn or cow than a freak like that.

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Livestock, not a game animal. I would not pollute my game pole with that nor would I allow it on my wall. This sort of thing is not good for the sport of hunting.

I would rather have a 5x5 raghorn bull taken fairly off public land than that "thing."

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Teeder

+1!

Yeah, that is not really hunting. It's "harvesting". I shoot a lot of spikes on public land where hunters success rates are only about 5%, so they are well earned. I also shoot cows and appreciate the meat they provide. This shooting at elk locked up behind a fence is unethical. There are probably a lot of guys here that like those antlers on their walls that do it every year though, then badger some of us thinking we don't shoot elk or hunt, but this is not "hunting".

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Agreed. Maybe he rolls with member sharpthings.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by gitem_12
100 acres of solid forest is nothing at all like 10k acres of mixed sagebrush and timber patches like what's found in much of southern Idaho. You can find open areas of sagebrush a square mile or more in size, often a LOT more. You can find large patches of timber but with equally large open areas between them. The timber patches often extend up the sides of steep mountains or draws, making secluded escape routes for elk.

The OP article says that the ranch workers stationed several hunters at the edge of a timber patch to wait while they moved through to chase the elk out. They knew exactly where they'd come out. Wild elk aren't going to be chased out into the open like that. They'll double back and will use a hidden escape route. It's amazing how a spooked elk can disappear. These elk aren't wild.

we drive WILD deer exactly like that successfully every year

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Judging by the guys clothes in the picture, must not have been too hard of a "hunt" considering his blue jeans or red t shirt aren't even dirty or sweaty.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not even an attractive head, IMHO.

I'll take a normal 350 rack anytime over something like that.

MM

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by johna1
Judging by the guys clothes in the picture, must not have been too hard of a "hunt" considering his blue jeans or red t shirt aren't even dirty or sweaty.
If you read the article, he was with a group of shooters ferried to a place near some timber. Then ranch employees chased the elk by them. They were all shooters, not a hunter in the crowd.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T Inman,

I do not remember that new member talking about it but Pugs and his crew made it clear they knew what they were doing and never tried to hide it or be deceitful. If I remember right it was in the very first sentence of that thread.

I made the mistake of trusting a (non-CF) long-time friend who made all the arrangements for that trip and it was only after I had paid my deposit that I started to investigate and found out how it was run. The ranch was very evasive about it and several e-mails didn't answer my questions so I finally cornered them at the Harrisburg outdoors show. I let my friendship take over my normally cautious nature. I'm glad I went, I had a very good time with friends but it was not an elk hunt and I wanted to make sure that was clear in my post about it so others understood what they were getting into.

Still investing in Wyoming elk points to take myself on a real hunt sometime here after retirement.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Gotcha. Makes sense.

You may not have known what you were dealing with when you paid the deposit but made clear what it was in your story/write up. That is good to go as far as I am concerned.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

ask a Texan lol

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Teeder

+1!

Yeah, that is not really hunting. It's "harvesting". I shoot a lot of spikes on public land where hunters success rates are only about 5%, so they are well earned. I also shoot cows and appreciate the meat they provide. This shooting at elk locked up behind a fence is unethical. There are probably a lot of guys here that like those antlers on their walls that do it every year though, then badger some of us thinking we don't shoot elk or hunt, but this is not "hunting".

Id be super happy to take a cow elk every year archery elk hunting

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Pugs
T Inman,

I made the mistake of trusting a (non-CF) long-time friend who made all the arrangements for that trip and it was only after I had paid my deposit that I started to investigate and found out how it was run. The ranch was very evasive about it and several e-mails didn't answer my questions so I finally cornered them at the Harrisburg outdoors show. I let my friendship take over my normally cautious nature. I'm glad I went, I had a very good time with friends but it was not an elk hunt and I wanted to make sure that was clear in my post about it so others understood what they were getting into.

Still investing in Wyoming elk points to take myself on a real hunt sometime here after retirement.

Pugs, I think you're a Veteran, and you wanna hunt Wyoming, so you should send a message to Fotis, I'd bet a dollar he could probably help you with getting in on that Wyoming hunt.

Agree with Ted, being upfront about the whole thing means a ton. It's about like finding a decent bison hunt. I want a bison for the freezer but I'd prefer something at least a little like hunting. I wouldn't kid myself though about "the hunt". It's definitely about putting one in the deep freezer and it's more fun than getting beef at the Restaurant Depot.

Semper Fi
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I figure for every person shooting one behind a fence is one less competing with me in drawing a tag. The way things are going, I don't know if my 4 Wyoming points will even draw a general tag in 2023.

He went over yonder way
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a friend who killed a magnificent elk at Roulon Jones' place. Super good guy. He's wealthy, has some health limitations, knew what he was getting into and did it with a bow. He's happy with the experience. Not my style, but I certainly don't begrudge him for it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ugly rack!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I kind of have a hard time telling folks what to do with their money or their livestock.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm not exactly sure what the objection is here, so
someone will have to explain.
Many in my area spend thousands every year to
go " hunt " a whitetail deer.
Many decry high fence hunting, and as many embrace
it. Most all are trying to take a "good " buck. If
you strip away all the layers, they want a large
antlered head to put on the wall to post on their
web page, or show off to friends, or for whatever
reason. A good many don't keep the any meat,
some giving it away, some donating it to charitable
organizations, some stashing it in their freezer
for a year or 3 until it's useless. I'm sure there's
been many that just took the head and left the
carcass, otherwise we wouldn't have the laws we
do about taking a mandatory amount of the
carcass. It really doesn't bother me if the next
guy wants to hunt like he wants to and spend
a pile of money every year to get a new head or
two on the wall as long as the laws are followed.
I do wish that other people would leave me be
and let me "hunt " like I want to as long as I
follow the laws. My license costs as much as
everyone else's does

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'm sure those elk are fed high quality feed during the antler growing season. I do have to wonder what that one tastes like...or chews like. I suspect that he's good for bologna and not much else.

― George Orwell

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
The guy that shot that elk also hunts on Pheasant farms where they tie the pheasant to trees

KB

That's disgusting. Now, Huns- I can see doing that to. Likely the only way I'd ever hit one of the little bastards.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sure those elk are fed high quality feed during the antler growing season. I do have to wonder what that one tastes like...or chews like. I suspect that he's good for bologna and not much else.

Probably tastes like stocked trout. No thanks.
My guess is the guy never had a bite of it anyway. IMO, schit like this is a bad look for "hunters". At a time when there are fewer and fewer people that hunt, the optics are bad.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

No dog in the fight here. This bull was killed on a ranch (high fence) near me by an eighty year old guy who had never shot an elk. It wasn’t advertised as a hunt by the operator, in fact he told the client that they were grain and hay fed and would be great eating. Day of the “hunt” client showed up, operator put him in the side by side, drove out to the pasture, dropped the windscreen, set up bipod and sandbags and shot the bull. Loaded him with the tractor and processed meat and hide. The head and cape were taken by my buddy to the taxidermist for him. That’s where I snapped the pic. I don’t care what a guy does with his money as long as they’re honest about what’s going on. That goes for both the client and operator. Unlike that d-bag Sharp things in the archery forum.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mbogo2106

No dog in the fight here. This bull was killed on a ranch (high fence) near me by an eighty year old guy who had never shot an elk. It wasn’t advertised as a hunt by the operator, in fact he told the client that they were grain and hay fed and would be great eating. Day of the “hunt” client showed up, operator put him in the side by side, drove out to the pasture, dropped the windscreen, set up bipod and sandbags and shot the bull. Loaded him with the tractor and processed meat and hide. The head and cape were taken by my buddy to the taxidermist for him. That’s where I snapped the pic. I don’t care what a guy does with his money as long as they’re honest about what’s going on. That goes for both the client and operator. Unlike that d-bag Sharp things in the archery forum.
That's pretty much what I've been saying. Penned elk are livestock, not wild animals. If the owner can find someone to butcher one for him, more power to him. It's not a hunt and not intended to be one.
What's the difference between this and butchering a bovine bull for the hide? They sometimes make very attractive rugs or wall hangings. I can drive by a house with a pen raised cow or elk head on the wall 10 times a day and it won't affect me in the least. My friends and I hunt them for real and that's good enough for me. I don't care what others do.

[Linked Image from thetaxidermystore.com]

― George Orwell

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mbogo2106

And he got a pile of some of the best meat there is, that could've been his whole goal. That, and a nice set of horns always looks good, no matter where they came from.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Was CSU studying whatever had been causing sheep to get sick and die for centuries, they just didn't know at the time they were studying scrapie?

I think they were studying lungworm. Of course they have been studying lungworm in bighorns forever. Lungworm is another disease that has never (or yet) determined if the white man brought here from Europe or if it was already present. I know a lot of biologists have come to the conclusion that lungworm will always be present and bighorns will always be dying of it.

There have been proposals to prohibit sheep and goats from certain public land areas to minimize exposure to lungworm.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
As an added note to the CWD part of this thread: The epicenter of a disease is generally considered the most likely area where a disease evolved and/or got its start. In the case of CWD in mule deer the epicenter is east of Cheyenne near the Nebraska border and just north of I-70.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I think it’s up to hunters to police ourselves. If we don’t call people out and let them know this isn’t real hunting, this trend will likely continue and will make things worse for future hunters. I unapologetically won’t support this type of garbage.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
He just stepped out of the 4 seater Polaris Ranger. Did that elk have an ear tag?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
He just stepped out of the 4 seater Polaris Ranger. Did that elk have an ear tag?
By law it had one. They likely removed it for the photos.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Not even an attractive head, IMHO.

I'll take a normal 350 rack anytime over something like that.

MM
I agree.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Each to their own.
I'll not say anything bad about anyone in regard to how they hunt or not hunt.

It's their business, not mine.

You all have a good day.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have an acquaintance near Brownwood, TX with 1,200 fenced acres.

They sell hunts, whitetail and elk.

He told me a guy drove out from Dallas to shoot a 6-point elk.
He asked the shooter if he wanted the elk turned loose out of the 40 acre pasture that it was in.
Nope, just got out of his vehicle and shot the elk.

I guess he had the itch and the money, but I wouldn't do it.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If only you had the required intelligence to attain some money......or rich parents.

Originally Posted by smokepole
And he got a pile of some of the best meat there is, that could've been his whole goal. That, and a nice set of horns always looks good, no matter where they came from.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Each to their own.

You all have a good day.

This.

It’s his money. Just don’t try to pass it off as something it ain’t.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Money shouldn’t null fair chase. This reflects poorly on hunters and hunting in general. Dignity should still mean something. Apparently it doesn’t to some people anymore. If doing this sort of thing makes a person happy, I won’t support it. To each their own is right

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Each to their own.

You all have a good day.

This.

It’s his money. Just don’t try to pass it off as something it ain’t.

P

Which it wasn't reading a post above.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
You can only have fair chase with wild animals. These are livestock. They're bred and raised to be shot, just like an angus steer but with big antlers.

― George Orwell

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
You can only have fair chase with wild animals. These are livestock. They're bred and raised to be shot, just like an angus steer but with big antlers.

Which is how the hunt appears to have been represented, legally.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by EdM
[quote=Rock Chuck]You can only have fair chase with wild animals. These are livestock. They're bred and raised to be shot, just like an angus steer but with big antlers.

Which is how the hunt appears to have been represented, legally.

Legal or not, this is not a “hunt.” This is a livestock harvest in a high fence pasture with captive animals. This is no different than a guy walking out to pasture and shooting a beef cow for 30k. Good for him and anybody that supports this BS

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
It's not even a good looking bull. He must be proud.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ehunter
It's not even a good looking bull. He must be proud.
That's glossing it over. The bull is freaking ooogly.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tater74
I have an acquaintance near Brownwood, TX with 1,200 fenced acres.

They sell hunts, whitetail and elk.

He told me a guy drove out from Dallas to shoot a 6-point elk.
He asked the shooter if he wanted the elk turned loose out of the 40 acre pasture that it was in.
Nope, just got out of his vehicle and shot the elk.

I guess he had the itch and the money, but I wouldn't do it.

I’ve never been elk hunting, but it is a dream of mine.

But this ain’t the way to do it.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I've seen wild elk along side a road many times. The difference is that they will watch a car drive by but the second you stop and open a door, they vaporize.

― George Orwell

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have no words to describe the feelings preserves of this type stir in me. I would have less an issue if the rich were hunting actual humans.......

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
And a fat Angus steer would taste a heap better (elk is not bad) and cost a whole lot less. And unless you lie and cover up what you did your "trophy" was livestock and harvested in a pen. I know, it was a big pen.

After I retired I patrolled for a group of landowners some of whom were high fence operations. I disliked what I saw and what I dealing with so I quit. It wasn't hunting by any stretch of the imagination.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If some rich person wants to make a farmer / rancher wealthier while leaving more wild elk for the rest of us, I see that as a win / win. There are certainly some downsides, and it seems about the same as paying to shoot a huge Texas Longhorn cow for the horns. Not something I'm interested in, but to each their own.

Last edited by Woodsman1991; 01/30/23.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I've never seen one of those farm animal wall mounts. I've never had anyone who shot one brag about their 'hunting prowess'. I've never heard a rich man brag about being able to afford shooting one. I've never been bothered with any results of raising or shooting them. My concern is being able to find a wild one and bring it home. It's a different world from what I know and I couldn't care less what they do.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Not my cup of tea for the most part. Though I'd shoot a bison behind a fence like a lot of other stuff for the meat.

After all if its legal, and the shooter is happy with the results and the cost and the effort, then more power to them.

We hunted for meat to live. Thats how it started. Ethics is something I preach a lot. Yet OTOH is it different how... from buying your meat at the store?

Now if you do it, want to brag its hunting etc...then thats your choice I suppose.

I will say this much. As a guide many years ago the owners had a 640 acre fenced in with a few red stags. One hunter wanted this one stag. Did our best to find that stag the first day. I am sure we walked around in circles. Him knowing the drill I suspect.
Next day I simply found a spot they should go through at some point... lets just say it was a long day but the hunter got his stag. Bothered me none. But then again I've shot a lot of hogs in a pen tame and wild. Shot a few beef on the hoof. Etc...

The older I get the more I try not to be holier. And the more I do things for me ONLY the way I want to do them, with zero influence from anyone else.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

182 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 33 invisible), 2,220 guests, and 1,072 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,702
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.