-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Everyone has ideas, and places are different. As are the times.

Was a time, years ago, we lived on deer meat.
I killed does exclusively, for meat.
Any buck was someone's trophy.

Then they massacred our herd.
Now I'd rather kill any buck, for any reason, than kill does.
Bucks are just bucks, females can get bred and are the future.
Now days we can get a half dozen tags, only 1 buck.
Can't kill does with a clear conscience anymore.
Unfortunately others don't feel that way. So they keep hammering does, and complain how it's gotten hard to fill tags. As they kill more.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've killed a few spikes in the past but, it's been at least 25 years since I killed one.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by Deere_Man
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by hanco
Kill them all out or not?? They never amount to much from what I’ve read.

That’s simply not true. A spike can turn into a trophy animal.

From a 6 year study in Texas they found otherwise. First year bucks that had forks or better became much better trophy deer than spikes.

Please cite the study you are referring to.

The spike has the potential to be a great looking buck at 4.5 years. No reason to “cull” unless you just want to eat him.

jwp is likely referring to the Kerr WMA study.

Kerr WMA Study

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's very interesting. We have a ton of spikes on my place, nearly all being 1.5yr old deer. We try to let all 1.5-2.5yr bucks walk, but I've also noticed that we have a lot of 3.5yr old "stunty" racks present, much like the bottom row above. It's the pretty little 2.5yr old 8pt basket racks I really try to let walk, as they seem to have better odds of being something nice one day. I wonder what a couple years of spike culling would do...

Shooting horns to control genetics for the purpose of improving antler quality is putting the cart before the horse. I did see a study in QDMA that suggested that shooting some younger bucks is good to improve survival rates of other young bucks in the area. This has something to do with the remaining younger bucks not being kicked out of their home ranges.

Only one way to shoot a big buck, and thats to not shoot him when he’s little. That’s the hard part, passing on a 3 or 4 year old 8 or 10 point that is handsome and starting to put on some body and antler mass.

We get 5 tags where I hunt in Texas. If I’m still looking for deer meat by the time our late season doe and spike season rolls around, they are are the same to me.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Originally Posted by geedubya
This will be the third season I've seen this guy.

Last year the left antler was pressed against his jaw.

I let him walk.

If I see him this year, he is going to die!

Ya!

GWB

It’s probably time for that one to go. You have a good history on him.

Biologists say that unless you have total control of a big area with good forage year ‘round and your neighbors take the same approach, culling spikes is a waste of time. If the buck to doe ratio is off and your does are bred late and as a consequence, the buck fawns are born late in the year, it wouldn’t be unusual for them to only grow spikes. Some spikes catch up, some don’t but if you shoot a spike this year he surely won’t be on his way to catch up next year. The ones to protect are the yearlings with small six or eight point racks.

Lots of folks don’t realize that the doe’s genetics are part the problem as well.

This is at my brother's place.

I would take the spike 11 times out of 10 before I would take one of these 3 yr. olds. (my estimation). I keep several feeders going. I've got cellular cameras set up and I love watching the deer in real time. Since I'm paying the freight, I've asked him not to let anyone (including me) to take either of these two for at least a year if not two.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by hanco
Kill them all out or not?? They never amount to much from what I’ve read.

IMHO it's an "it depends" question. If it is still small framed, hasn't grown to full adult size, let it grow and see what it turns into. If it is a full sized adult, 2 years old or more, shoot it and eat it, it has spike genes that probably shouldn't be passed along. Not just spikes .. we've got some does around here that I'd shoot if I had a tag, they've got weird ears that droop 'n' stuff suggesting too many generations of inbreeding. (I guess we have some neighbors like that, too.)

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This spike walked within a few feet of my burlap wind break a few years back and jumped sideways when I moved, stopping but 20 yards away from me.
I could only see its back when it walk by in a bit of a down slope.
The only reason I didn't kill him was because I had already filled my antlered tag earlier that fall, and had two anterless tags ( antlers under 4") in my pocket.
This is in Alberta, we don't have buck and doe tags, but antlered and antlerless.
You can see the trail he was on in front of my blind, this was two days after I saw him

Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If it's legal I take it, spikes, forkhorns. I've even taken a button buck on a deer reduction hunt, I thought it was a doe till I came up upon it. Young deer's venison is tender and tasty.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I think I've shot one spike ever and one 5 point that I shouldn't have. It was clearly his first rack. I'd rather have a doe these days if I feel like shooting a deer. The kids can shoot whatever they want. I'd rather help them out.

Camp is where you make it.
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
We had a genetic thing going on quite a few years ago. My brother and I noticed spiked one horned buck and didn’t shoot him. A year later there was four of them walking around. At the end of season there was zero left. We must have got rid of that gene in time because no more popped up. Edk

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You’ll start shooting big deer when you quit shooting little deer.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Only by mistake.

In Nebraska, whitetail bucks are considered to be "antlerless" if they antlers less than 6" long. A buck with small spikes can easily be mistaken for a doe at ranges past 100 or so yards. The "River" WMA tags allows for 2 antlerless deer to be taken, with no limit on the number of tags you can buy. They are a "seasons choice" tag, meaning that you can use them during any open season. I donate most of the deer that I shoot to Hunters Feeding The Hungry, which allows me to shoot several deer with different rifles or loads each year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Everyone has ideas, and places are different. As are the times.

Was a time, years ago, we lived on deer meat.
I killed does exclusively, for meat.
Any buck was someone's trophy.

Then they massacred our herd.
Now I'd rather kill any buck, for any reason, than kill does.
Bucks are just bucks, females can get bred and are the future.
Now days we can get a half dozen tags, only 1 buck.
Can't kill does with a clear conscience anymore.
Unfortunately others don't feel that way. So they keep hammering does, and complain how it's gotten hard to fill tags. As they kill more.
Yeah and they fish my stream at my Camp until there's not a trout in it. Then they still keep fishing it. It's just the PA way

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
The places I hunt now are 1 buck states and it gets expensive in a hurry to transport the meat home. If I’m not shooting something with an impressivenn I am eating the tag instead a spike.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jeffbird
You’ll start shooting big deer when you quit shooting little deer.

Seen lots of nice bucks follow in a little while after some does or a little buck walks through.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Not deer, but moose.

The largest bodied 1.5 YO spike that I've killed (NEVER have passed one up!) had a 3" spike on one side, and 3 1/2" on the other side, with a bit of a knob on it, 330 # of boned out meat. I initially thought him to be a cow, at 30 yards! Then I noticed those funny eyebrows..... And no, he was not a big calf of the year - his antlers were hard, not velvety and soft.

The smallest bodied one that I've killed had 16" velvet spikes, 270 # boned meat. (16 yards, if you must know.). Both with a .338WM. For the bears, doncha know.

They were killed several years and 5 miles apart, in identical habitat - a common burn area, with excellent winter feed and similar winters/snow.

Pretty sure it was genetics, but who knows for sure?

I did let a "spike" get away from me one time, under spike-fork/50inch/3 brow tine rules. At the time, he was 3 or 4, and I didn't see that he only had a long, 20 or so inch spike on the side away from me until he turned and stepped into the brush. 4 years later, and a half mile away, I got him tho, I think. That same side, on the bull I shot, had a main palm noticeably smaller than the "good side", tines less than a couple inches long on that side, and where the brow tines should have been, was a "drop-tine" lump of antler about 2 1/2 inches in diameter and 4 or 5 inches long. He was in full rut on Sept 13 about 2 weeks before he should have been, but hadn't been fighting yet, and came in hard to my call. Excellent eating, despite that.

He would have been legal the first time I saw him with that spike. When I shot hum, he had 3 brows on the good side, and went 53 inches. Had the antlers been symmetrical, he would have been about 58", I think. I suspect his deformity was due to either a damaged antler bud, or a damaged/undeveloped testicle.

They all hunt the same and eat the same(well, latter not strictly true).

Last edited by las; 09/04/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
At 200 acres, our place is big by local standards, but not big enough to really influence the herd on our own.

Being in Zone 1, Kentucky allows one antlered deer per year and any number of antlerless harvests. We have 2 weeks and a day to get the job done. If you have the urge to burn your buck tag on a spike, have at it.

We have the Spike Wall at camp. If you harvest a spike it goes up on the wall. For a young kid, it is a badge of honor. For the rest of us, it is a remembrance of some moment of angst or frustration or regret we'd rather leave at camp. On the occasion of Opening Day Dinner, we have The Toast, and it is delivered towards the Spike Wall. There aren't all that many up there, but we all have one or two.

“He that outlives this day and comes safe home will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam’d, And point a finger at his mounted antlers saying ‘These wounds! These wounds, I gave on Opening Day!’ For he today that sheds blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne’er so vile. This day shall gentle his condition. And Gentlemen all now in bed shall think themselves accurs’d they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks that hunted with us on Opening Day.”

My Spike came to me about a decade ago. I was out on a dark, windy afternoon and there was this single forlorn creature that came out and ate for a good long time with his head down in the tall grass. I glassed him all that time trying to make out any antlers. Finally, I concluded it was a doe and shot. This picture was snapped just as I was falling over.

[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I thought I killed a spike a few years ago, ended up being a 3pt. He weighed 194lbs and the spikes were both over 20 inches. I've had a couple of hunters kill spikes thinking they were a doe. I tell them spikes will usually be by themselves or with other small bucks, but the thrill of killing something overwhelms thinking.

Life is good live it while you can.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It just all depends. I am usually pretty picky, but I have taken a spike or two over the years.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm not a head hunter.

I don't really care if it has horns or not.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shot a spike that was a mature buck with both horns broken off. I knew it was an adult deer as it ran across the field but where were it's horns? I saw them when it stopped, so I shot. I would shoot again if that happens again. One of the places I hunted in Wisconsin has tons of broken horn deer.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

364 members (1lesfox, 160user, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 10ring1, 12344mag, 36 invisible), 2,187 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,452
Posts18,528,948
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.