Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
For the garage where I do mechanical and machine work I covered the 2 x 6 bench top with a piece of 1/8" steel with one bend for the front. Works great.

For a gun and hobby work table in the basement I use a piece of 3/4" plywood with 4 or 5 coats of spar varnish. I put a piece of cardboard on top if I'm doing something that can scratch or damage it. It's a work bench...

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Spar urethane, multiple coats over stain is what I put on my loading bench. Looks good and holds up fine for associated oils and stuff. The clear poly and acrylics will probably wear better with hard use as mentioned above.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
H
H5farm Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
It is a table on castor wheels with leveling blocks for mostly reloading an gun work

Attached Images
IMG_1595.jpg (13.87 KB, 171 downloads)
Last edited by H5farm; 12/18/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

I used this stuff about 7 years ago on a 2 foot deep long work bench of birch plywood, oak trim. Pleasant to work with being water based I followed a hand rubbed rifle stock type treatment using 0000 steel wool to wipe it in really well. Then wipe any excess lightly with a shop towel and let cure. It dries quick so you can build up coats fairly quick I probably put 8 or 10 on, the same treatment repeated. Its lasted well you can see fine scratches in the finish if you look close in good light but looks great from 4 feet away. lol It would be easy to lightly scuff sand and add some more coats to make it perfect if wanted. Disclaimer- I put cardboard down if I'm working on something steel, heavy with sharp edges. But other than that I work right on the bench lots, its held up better than I would have thought.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Also, the first coat makes wood fibers stand up like any treatment so I sanded with 220 I think after the first coat. No sanding after that, the steel wool and wiping off excess keeps it building nice and smooth without sanding. So I had that goin for me. ..

IC B2

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by old_boots
For the garage where I do mechanical and machine work I covered the 2 x 6 bench top with a piece of 1/8" steel with one bend for the front. Works great.

For a gun and hobby work table in the basement I use a piece of 3/4" plywood with 4 or 5 coats of spar varnish. I put a piece of cardboard on top if I'm doing something that can scratch or damage it. It's a work bench...

^^^^ This

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've got one bench I covered with a 3/4" dense rubber sheet, easy to clean and doesn't damage parts. But depends on what you want to use it for.

Phil

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I had one log ago with a sheet of Masonite lightly nailed on. It was pretty durable, but easy to replace. When I moved into this house 36 years ago, the work bench in my furnace room became my reloading center, It had linoleum already on it - and it still does today. Darn stuff simply lasts forever but I admit it isn't subject to hammering and stuff.
This is a good solution - easy to install and to replace if need be. I have two benches so covered and they work as Rocky described. I keep both a sturdy steel plate and a Delrin plate handy to put on the surface when I need to hammer, cut or grind something.

Have also used the epoxy floor paint mentioned by others - worked great.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Use formica can be picked up usually cheep if a corner is broken from most retailers....will holdup to just about any chemical....cleans up easy and looks good....

I used Masonite because my Great Uncle was a engineer for them and I got it for free....about 25 years ago picked up for almost free a 10' x 3' x 2 1/2" with rounded corners panel with formica on it been the top of my reloading table it has a 3" x 3" x 1/4" tube frame...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Looking for small dark gun parts on a dark, mottled surface is a pita. Last thing I would do is stain it. At this point I would either bleach or pickle it as light as possible and use clear gloss, water-based urethane or polyurethane.

Hunting for small pieces on a light colored surface is far easier especially when it is easier to see the shadow.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So you have a sheet of plywood sitting on top of two 2x10?

If it were me, and I'm going to do this with mine pretty soon, I'd by some pieces of 1/16 - 1/8" steel to mount the big boy press on, otherwise that plywood will eventually fail. I'd recess the steel into the plywood, paint it white, and cover the whole thing with epoxy. I have three old C-H presses. Two singles and a three position one. I first mounted it straight to my two layers of 3/4" plywood. First time I tried sizing some 7x61 from 7mm Mag the table was flexing. Added the steel, no more problems. Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/c/BlacktailStudio This guy does some pretty amazing stuff with epoxy and a ceramic coating. It's the path I'm planning to go down with mine when I find time to clean it off.

Last edited by minengr; 12/19/22.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Deft is the best I've found, seals and is very durable been using it for years.

Deft looks promising for my workbench

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Horse stall mats.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1234, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 52 invisible), 16,013 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,920
Posts18,539,019
Members74,051
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.