Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’m ready for 1923 to start

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I enjoy a good western, and I enjoyed both these by Sheridan, but the internet and all the wokeys frothing at the mouth about anything conservative makes it a bit hard to stomach sometimes......hemp gummies help remedy that and really good popcorn and beer!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Poorly done.

Sam Elliott could be one of the best Western actors of all time, but he is too old to be a wagon boss.

Throwing stoves and pianos out of the wagons is pure crap, the wagon boss should have known before the trip, what people had in their wagons before they left.

It took them too long to get out of Texas, the waiting and feigning a fight with the bandits was phony as was the whole series.

It could have been better and would have if Leanwolf had helped write it. He was on the writing staff of “Gunsmoke.”

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn
Elsa had to die, she was running out of guys to screw.

I didn't understand where she got her accent from, her parents had no accent like that. Plus her bad poetry.....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel
" ... It could have been better and would have if Leanwolf had helped write it. He was on the writing staff of “Gunsmoke.”

Thanks for the compliment, Shrapnel. A slight correction. I was not on the Gunsmoke staff. Although I wrote several scripts for Gunsmoke, the various scripts were all written by free lance writers. Back in those days, all dramatic shows were written by free lance writers. The "staffs" of the shows were comprised of an Executive Producer, Producer, and Executive Story Editor. They were responsible for getting the shows on the air each week.

Once the dramatic shows began to adopt the "soap opera" genre, then the producers would hire a number of writers who were on staff and paid regular salaries for their writing. This was necessary because given the "soap opera" format wherein the lives and conflicts of the characters would continue into the following story episodes, free lance writers who'd want to pitch stories would be unable to know where the stories and characters were going. Therefore, a writing room full of staff writers kicking around story ideas was necessary to keep the continuity of the show flowing.

I may be wrong here but I think the first dramatic primetime "soap opera" show which was staff written was Hill Street Blues. I wrote some cops-'n-robbers scripts, but did not write for Hill Street Blues. Probably the show that took dramatic shows to "new soap opera heights" was Dallas. Afterward, almost all dramatic shows followed suit. Staff writers wrote 'em all.

Today, if you watch a dramatic show, you'll see in the credits "Exec. Producer," "Producer this producer that producer something or 'nother," etc., etc., etc. Maybe a Story Editor thrown in there. Reason for that is complicated but basically has to do with the Writers Guild of America's contracts with the studios and networks wherein a writer who is credited with the title "Writer," on staff has to be paid much more than a "producer." The studios always have some way of screwing a "writer." wink

The comedy shows have always been staff written. That is very difficult writing, trying to make people laugh, not withstanding the usual "laugh tracks" cut into the sound. I am reminded of an interview I read many years ago of the late great vaudeville comedian Bert Lahr. He was asked what it felt like to be on stage and know that his "stuff" was not working for the audience, that he was "dying?" Lahr replied, "Dying is easy; comedy is hard." And I think that is true. I never wrote for any comedy shows ... unless you count "Dukes of Hazzard" as comedy. smile

Time to end this epic peek -- and I hope not boring -- into the business of writing in show business. Best regards and Merry Christmas to you and your family.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
lostrail60: Aren't you?
Or are you queer?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
" ... It could have been better and would have if Leanwolf had helped write it. He was on the writing staff of “Gunsmoke.”

Thanks for the compliment, Shrapnel. A slight correction. I was not on the Gunsmoke staff. Although I wrote several scripts for Gunsmoke, the various scripts were all written by free lance writers. Back in those days, all dramatic shows were written by free lance writers. The "staffs" of the shows were comprised of an Executive Producer, Producer, and Executive Story Editor. They were responsible for getting the shows on the air each week.

Once the dramatic shows began to adopt the "soap opera" genre, then the producers would hire a number of writers who were on staff and paid regular salaries for their writing. This was necessary because given the "soap opera" format wherein the lives and conflicts of the characters would continue into the following story episodes, free lance writers who'd want to pitch stories would be unable to know where the stories and characters were going. Therefore, a writing room full of staff writers kicking around story ideas was necessary to keep the continuity of the show flowing.

I may be wrong here but I think the first dramatic primetime "soap opera" show which was staff written was Hill Street Blues. I wrote some cops-'n-robbers scripts, but did not write for Hill Street Blues. Probably the show that took dramatic shows to "new soap opera heights" was Dallas. Afterward, almost all dramatic shows followed suit. Staff writers wrote 'em all.

Today, if you watch a dramatic show, you'll see in the credits "Exec. Producer," "Producer this producer that producer something or 'nother," etc., etc., etc. Maybe a Story Editor thrown in there. Reason for that is complicated but basically has to do with the Writers Guild of America's contracts with the studios and networks wherein a writer who is credited with the title "Writer," on staff has to be paid much more than a "producer." The studios always have some way of screwing a "writer." wink

The comedy shows have always been staff written. That is very difficult writing, trying to make people laugh, not withstanding the usual "laugh tracks" cut into the sound. I am reminded of an interview I read many years ago of the late great vaudeville comedian Bert Lahr. He was asked what it felt like to be on stage and know that his "stuff" was not working for the audience, that he was "dying?" Lahr replied, "Dying is easy; comedy is hard." And I think that is true. I never wrote for any comedy shows ... unless you count "Dukes of Hazzard" as comedy. smile

Time to end this epic peek -- and I hope not boring -- into the business of writing in show business. Best regards and Merry Christmas to you and your family.

L.W.

OK, I learned something. Still, I’m my mind, “Gunsmoke” remains one of the best written and best acted shows of all time…

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That was fascinating, thanks both of you for bringing that up and leaning into the pitch.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by hanco
I’m ready for 1923 to start
It’s streaming.

Watching it now

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AKduck
I agree Ace....Tulsa King has been good so far.

Yes it has. And I can’t stand Stallone.
But he’s been great in Tulsa King so far.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Or are you queer?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Ole CalledScum changed his handle to losttrail60.

He’s as queer as a 3 dollar bill.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 12/18/22.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

L.W.

OK, I learned something. Still, I’m my mind, “Gunsmoke” remains one of the best written and best acted shows of all time…

Wife and I turned into Gunsmoke junkies. These days when we recognize an unseen episode it’s happy happy happy time. And the half hour versions are the best. Colorized the worst.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Go suck chili, scumbag.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Or are you queer?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

You sniff hair too like Biden? You old pervert.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Go suck chili, scumbag.

LMAO. Rent Free Little Man. Rent Free. 😂😂😂

Little Man Syndrome kicks your little ass DAILY.
Must suck being YOU. 😂😂😂

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Or are you queer?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

L.W.

Great post LW. Always like to hear your input and about your experience on the behind the scenes TV & Film Industry.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We quit watching 1883 after 3 or 4 episodes,
Maybe 1923 will be better

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

grin

The actress was great for the part, she had some great scenes, and it was creative to show a western from a young woman’s viewpoint.

Overall though, the series sucked, the last couple of episodes were just excruciating.

I oughtta know, I bing watched the whole ten hours overnight while visiting my sister in NY State.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

grin

The actress was great for the part, she had some great scenes, and it was creative to show a western from a young woman’s viewpoint.

Overall though, the series sucked, the last couple of episodes were just excruciating.

I oughtta know, I bing watched the whole ten hours overnight while visiting my sister in NY State.
Well you’re a loser.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (300jimmy, 2ndwind, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 2UP, 270cowboy, 52 invisible), 1,766 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,150
Posts18,523,363
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.