Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thoughts? Experiences? I have a clean little walnut/blued model here that has a well-tuned trigger. About to dig out some brass/dies, as it’s been a while since I’ve owned anything in .44mag. I believe there’s some 240xtp bullets and Blue Dot still on the shelf. Likely stick a 2-7 on top and try to kill a hog or deer in the next couple weeks.

Now with even more aplomb
HR IC

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd bet you'll find easy loads for your rifle JPro. Haven't ever found a 44 being hard to like. Never used Blue Dot, but Longshot, H110, 2400, Unique and Lil Gun. All of them did pretty dang well with about any decent bullet.

That's a sweet rifle though, looking forward to hearing how you make out with the load work, assuming it'll be short.

If you don't have a Lee FCD, grab one. It'll make your life easier, and your spreads a bit tighter in my experience.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JPro
Thoughts? Experiences? I have a clean little walnut/blued model here that has a well-tuned trigger. About to dig out some brass/dies, as it’s been a while since I’ve owned anything in .44mag. I believe there’s some 240xtp bullets and Blue Dot still on the shelf. Likely stick a 2-7 on top and try to kill a hog or deer in the next couple weeks.
I have never seen or heard of an accurate one

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't have a 44, but my 77/.357 is a great little rifle. Plenty accurate for the ranges I would use it at.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Fotis

Are you thinking of the semi?

I wanted one and looked for a spell but never took the plunge. I thought the 77/44 was reputed to have reasonable accuracy.

https://gundigest.com/rifles/hunting-rifles/ruger-77-44-a-masterful-44-magnum-rifle/amp

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have had 2. They are great woods rifles. Neither of mine were much better than 4 inch guns at 100 yards. While that's a bit frustrating, it's more than adequate for the typical 30-70 yard shot that we get in the woods here. That was before I knew about shimming the bolts and I didn't work hard at load development. They probably had better accuracy in them. Just a pleasure to have in the hand and stand.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

X2. I like to shoot groups not patterns

Last edited by Ghostman; 12/21/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

I wanted one and looked for a spell but never took the plunge. I thought the 77/44 was reputed to have reasonable accuracy.

https://gundigest.com/rifles/hunting-rifles/ruger-77-44-a-masterful-44-magnum-rifle/amp
Nope. The bolt. There are tons of posts around the internet and I've never seen one be a positive post as far as accuracy is concerned

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I’ve owned two, a Remlin that’s been sold and I still have a CVA Scout. The Remlin was terribly inaccurate so I sold it and replace it with the CVA. I haven’t found a load yet that shoots great and I’ve tried a lot. Maybe my expectations are too high….

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Nope. The bolt. There are tons of posts around the internet and I've never seen one be a positive post as far as accuracy is concerned

Should have tried one in .357 mag.
I know of a few and all have shot very well.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been using a 77/44 for deer for the last three years. With 240 Gr HP/XTPs over H110, it is accurate and effective out to about 150 yards.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had one that was S/S with a red dot sight. Shot factory ammo OK, but not inspiring. Loaded up some 300 gr paper patch lead with max charges of Li'l Gun....nothing took a second step after receiving that package.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had one long ago. Liked the weight, but not the balance, which combined with the stock trigger made it really hard to shoot well offhand. It’d do about 2” off the bench IIRC. Nowadays there are a lot of light rifles for sale, so there are better options IMO, unless the cartridge is the attraction. They are kinda cute, but so is my Low Wall .44.

Since you have one already, and with a good trigger, give it an honest try. A better trigger might have kept mine here.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

It was a nice concept that shot like schit. I REALLY wanted to like mine, but didn't.

Camp is where you make it.
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like opinions are all over the place, but that these rifles are not known for shooting well, on average. I did find a new container of IMR 4227 and another of H110. I'll see what it can manage. If it will keep 3 rounds inside 2.5MOA at 100yds, it will work for the woods hunting I have planned. A lot of my hunting is from box blinds on shooting lanes, but I do sometimes like to make the occasional hunt in the thick stuff where shots might make 50-60yds on the long side.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i have owned a couple. They are/were reasonably accurate (2-3") at 100yd guns. They are handy, but did not find them to be as handy as my Marlin 1894. The Marlin is slightly more accurate too so the Rugers went down the road.

Last edited by TnBigBore; 12/22/22.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Sounds like opinions are all over the place, but that these rifles are not known for shooting well, on average. I did find a new container of IMR 4227 and another of H110. I'll see what it can manage. If it will keep 3 rounds inside 2.5MOA at 100yds, it will work for the woods hunting I have planned. A lot of my hunting is from box blinds on shooting lanes, but I do sometimes like to make the occasional hunt in the thick stuff where shots might make 50-60yds on the long side.

That accuracy is minute of deer at its intended distance. Good luck

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had one, SS/Syn. I floated the barrel, put a Volquartsen trigger kit in it, and shimmed the bolt. Used a Leupold 1-4X20 for the scope.

It had a preference for the heavier bullets, and my intention was to shoot 300 WFNs anyway. The reason for choosing it over a Marlin lever was the 1/20 barrel. The load I used was lil gun and Beartooth's 300 WFN GC sized at .432". It was a 1.5" to 2" shooter, which was good considering its intended use.

It was very light, and I am convinced that didn't help with accuracy, being so whippy and all.

But it would kill a woodlands Whitetail right now.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Got a new Ruger 77/44 years ago and it was sent out to John's Guns and they installed one of their 20 inch full Silenced Barrels. Naturally had to go through a proper FFL channels and do all the necessary paperwork at the time, but I have to say it's a pleasure to have and shoot. Quiet for a 44 cal. Rifle. The .44 magnum shoots well, and the .44 Special is a little quieter naturally.
You can Google John's Guns suppressors and a pretty good article describing what I'm talking about.

HS 58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
J
jdb Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Mine’s an 1 1/2” shooter at 100 yards with 240 xtp’s.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (10Glocks, anothergun, BB3, 6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,513 guests, and 634 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,514
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.