Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
sliding into my late seventies, I find myself a kinder, gentler person. smile

Sam......

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Yes, especially after getting out of the house building business, I have far less thoughts of punching people in the face as hard as I can.

I hear ya! Since we turned the TV off no more news or anything I like it better. As for computer its mostly forums not all that news garbage.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by COLO_western
Maybe I just haven’t reached that point yet, but so far my fuse has only gotten shorter as I’ve gotten older. I’m 35 now. Parents and in laws (in their 50s and 60s) seem more irritable than ever. Maybe it’s just these times we’re living in.

I don't think that is a real thing, it's .. delusion. I haven't mellowed at all. Maybe wiser 'bout deciding whether someone is worth the effort, certainly more apathetic. Stupid people cling to their stupid. I used to think it was worth the effort to try to correct them. Today .. mostly .. fuggit, let 'em stay stupid. I really only know 1-2 people who claim to have mellowed with age and so far as I can tell, they haven't. It's just a lie they tell themselves. I try not to lie to myself. (That's a work in progress, it would be ironic to lie to myself saying I'd "arrived" :))

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I volunteered to put up a purple martin nesting gourd pole, needs a hole 12” wide by 32” deep. I’ve put in about a dozen of these things over the years but the last one was 12 years ago.

The good news is I can still get it done with digging bar and post hole digger. The bad news is it takes longer and I hurt 🙂

As far as becoming mellow, age has taught me nothing lasts forever, good or bad and my own time here is short. I don’t get as wound up as I used to.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
As I approach my 80's, I find that it takes a lot more provocation to trigger a response, but once that threshold has been crossed, the actions I take are a lot more vigorous. I've never been one to tolerate fools, but the fool needs to really push my buttons to light my fuse these days.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Been retired for two years. Gives me the ability to avoid idiots and azzholes. If I don't like where I'm at or who I'm with, I leave. I don't go to town during peak times cuz I despise traffic.

There are times I voice my strong opinions but do it in a calm, no nonsense demeanor. I don't suffer fools. I'm not a big guy or any kind of bad azz but I believe most see me as a guy better left alone.

Im in a really good place in my life and think my mood reflects that.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I think I have too.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Sometimes I think so, then other times I reconsider.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd say definitely, yes. I turned 65 this year and somewhere along the way I learned what really matters and I just don't give a schitt about the other stuff. It's just easier that way for me.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On some things but the past three years hasn't helped. I try to stay away whenever possible from anyone I know that's a liberal including family members. Not that many are. Toleration leads to acceptance.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 12/30/22.
IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Not really.

As my stress level increases my fuse shortens.

I am MAGA.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I know I have mellowed with age, but I think that comes from knowing that you are not going to change people.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm only 45 and get pretty pissed off but am trying to teach myself not to let things out of my control make me mad.

Case in point, I don't watch much news on the TV.

And on a more personal level I have really backed away from trying to be an influence in my 12 year old nephew's life.

I used to take him with me on the weekends and he'd ride along when I did chores. Instead of soda we'd try a new bottled water, I got him to quit his baby talking, just things like that.

But.... He'd revert back to big baby as soon as momma was around and then I'd get pissed and it created tension in my house.

So I decided fuuck it and basically removed myself from any 'father' role. He still asks all the time to come along and its hard to say no but I no longer get mad at his stupid antics.

Not my kid, not my place to get grouchy.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by COLO_western
Maybe I just haven’t reached that point yet, but so far my fuse has only gotten shorter as I’ve gotten older. I’m 35 now. Parents and in laws (in their 50s and 60s) seem more irritable than ever. Maybe it’s just these times we’re living in.

I don't think that is a real thing, it's .. delusion. I haven't mellowed at all. Maybe wiser 'bout deciding whether someone is worth the effort, certainly more apathetic. Stupid people cling to their stupid. I used to think it was worth the effort to try to correct them. Today .. mostly .. fuggit, let 'em stay stupid. I really only know 1-2 people who claim to have mellowed with age and so far as I can tell, they haven't. It's just a lie they tell themselves. I try not to lie to myself. (That's a work in progress, it would be ironic to lie to myself saying I'd "arrived" :))

As I've gotten old, I pick my battles...

The folks I care about, I care even more for them..

The folks I have no use for, I have even less for them...

as far as "people mellowing out with age"... where I live, DOPE and other drugs use are off the charts.... that makes a substantial part of our local society NOT GAF at just about anything.... from their personal hygiene and wardrobe, to even paying for things at the store or supermarket....cops are on the catch and release program....the live giving the finger to anything that is status quo, and pretty much ignore any and all laws....those that seek jail time are the transients who just want a warm place, with 3 free meals a day, and a roof over their head until spring.... the number of methheads living in tents and under ANY kind of bridge is off the charts.... Its easier to find a a bridge people are living under than it is to find one where NO ONE is living under.. and the trash under them and in the woods is off the charters from just filthy. The number of beaters you see driving around with plates that expired 5 - 6 to 10 years ago, is ridiculous.. and I can imagine what a cop sees when they pull over one of these clowns and asks for their registration and proof on insurance...and half the time the beater they are driving has been stolen or "oh it belongs to friend of mine who let me borrow it... and yeah he's out of state right now..."

If you really care about things legally and socially, Southern Oregon is not the place to live.

I'm here for the mountains and the outdoors, certainly not the politics or people giving a schitt about anything.. but themselves, if even that...
Go to Wally World, half the people in the store, smell like they have schitt and pissed in their underwear, and haven't bathed since last month....
Go into the restroom stalls you'll find dirty underwear full of feces, and an empty package of new underwear on the floor.

but under democRATS where can you go in this country, that life isn't a complete SchittShow in some way, shape or form.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Dang Sam.....

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://bitly.ws/ypgd

Not trying to be crass - but giving fewer F’s sure helps.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I think it was Thoreau maybe..."Most men lead lives of quiet desperation" or something like that. And the rage is bottled up, for years, just bubbling below the surface, waiting there for the last straw. Bureaucrats, clerks, pushy women named Karen, mask fanatics...they insist on adding a little straw...age and so called wisdom doesn't seem to be helping much.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am less tolerant of idiots, but their presence bothers me less. I tend to ignore them. Odd, but true. I think some of my "filters" have disappeared, and I no longer really care what people think of me. Their problem, not mine. My stress level has gone down since I adopted this way of life, and that's a good thing.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hell no...

Smarter, wiser, better shape and I live life aggressively.

Proud NRA Life Member
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I no longer worry about things I can’t change. Stopped watching the news and most regular television.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (257Bob, 257 roberts, 25classic, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 66 invisible), 4,188 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,584
Posts18,532,300
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.