Print Thread
Hop To
Page 51 of 57 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 56 57
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Who knew? I picked up my first wheel gun recently and wandering around the Fire I found this most appropriate thread. My new to me '81 blue DW 44 mag VH isn't nearly as pretty as others in this thread. I'll get some pics up soon.
Meanwhile I'll lurking about and maybe asking a question or two. I'll be adding hunting optics of some sort soon and then there is the carry method to decide upon. I like cast and today some are headed my way. Thanks Ted!

Last edited by mjac; 10/03/21.

"My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 0311 1967.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No flies on the DW revolvers. They were popular silhouette guns for good reason.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Mackay,
Those are as good looking a set of grips as I think I’ve ever laid eyes on. Very, very nice!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by lastround

Mackay,
Those are as good looking a set of grips as I think I’ve ever laid eyes on. Very, very nice!

I was just thinking the same. Burl?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M

There is a bit of a backstory behind the grips. I have had the grips shown on the 4" M29 shown above for 20 some odd years. Fancy Herretts Ropers. They have even been featured in one of John Taffin's books. Bob (RJM52) had admired them in the past. Fast forward a ways. He recently has been urging me to start producing 41 Mag and 41 Special ammo, as well as .38 Super ammo. Problem was I did not own any guns chambered for those cartridges and I won't make ammo without being able to thoroughly test it.

So, Bob being Bob has his guy mail me some of his personal guns out, including a 5" Model 27 that was rebuilt into a .41 Mag.

The fancy grips on the 4" Model 29 that you guys were admiring originally were on his 41 Mag.

Bob however informed me that they were a bit too large for his hands. They are custom grips but he could not recall the maker. Well, he had always admired my fancy walnut Herretts Ropers, so he should be receiving those this week. We swapped and both ended up with grips that fit each of our hands better. Plus I think of all the people I know, Bob is definitely the guy I would like to have those fancy Herretts that I have carried all over the place. smile

Mountains and desert

So, a pretty good trade! cool

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Check this guy's available for single actions:

https://chigsgrips.com/?page_id=7080

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

There is a bit of a backstory behind the grips. I have had the grips shown on the 4" M29 shown above for 20 some odd years. Fancy Herretts Ropers. They have even been featured in one of John Taffin's books. Bob (RJM52) had admired them in the past. Fast forward a ways. He recently has been urging me to start producing 41 Mag and 41 Special ammo, as well as .38 Super ammo. Problem was I did not own any guns chambered for those cartridges and I won't make ammo without being able to thoroughly test it.

So, Bob being Bob has his guy mail me some of his personal guns out, including a 5" Model 27 that was rebuilt into a .41 Mag.

The fancy grips on the 4" Model 29 that you guys were admiring originally were on his 41 Mag.

Bob however informed me that they were a bit too large for his hands. They are custom grips but he could not recall the maker. Well, he had always admired my fancy walnut Herretts Ropers, so he should be receiving those this week. We swapped and both ended up with grips that fit each of our hands better. Plus I think of all the people I know, Bob is definitely the guy I would like to have those fancy Herretts that I have carried all over the place. smile

Mountains and desert

So, a pretty good trade! cool

Mac, Good trade, indeed.. and story. 😊

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
This thread is my fave on the fire. Don’t want it lost in archive!

It has pushed me over the edge to a S&W 629 4”. I’m looking at all the local shops the next few days and if someone has a new one or a good used one in, I’m bringing it home. If one isn’t available, then I’ll be internet shopping. I’ve waited long enough and it’s time to join the club. Have dies ordered, ammo from Mackay ordered, and will be getting some Starline brass as soon as it shows up as orderable.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I should have some more .44 Special coming up soon!

I don't know who made this cartoon, but I thought it was funny.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M

That is 5 shots not 6, though I have six loaded rounds showing.

I am today just putting into production a 240 grain lead semi wadcutter .44 Magnum load, that is a break from my norm. Probably won't put it in the classifieds or website until tomorrow. I just got done wrapping up the T&E this morning.

Out of a 5" barrel it is right at 1,200 FPS and from my Model 29-6 Classic, which is a performance center gun (they have to shoot sub 2" groups at 50 yards to make the cut) it was shooting.

I used to use a very traditional powder and while it was "pretty good", I have always wanted better. Something that could be somewhere close to how super accurate the 300 grain heavy flat points are. This is definitely "THE" load. I won't be going back to my old school load for production purposes.

At 25 yards it shot 5 shots rested into .6"s

At 100 yards it put 5 shots a shade under 3"s.

The interesting thing was (at 100 yards) I was having difficulty centering the red dot in the optic on the black dot on the target, so I ended up putting the red dot on top of the black dot. I really did not anticipate very good results. It turned out far better than expected. I would have shot another group, but for one, it was cold and blowing and my hands were not exactly warm. Plus I knew darn well if I shot another group, I would royally screw it up! LOL !

laugh

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The thing that helped me a great deal using the dot, was to make a circle similar to yours shown, but make the lines of the circle bold enough to plainly see @ 100 yards, with the inside of the circle just a bit larger than the dot. I also use freezer paper as the black marker on the white paper contrast seems to help my old eyes!

By the way……pretty nice group! 👍 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Congrats my friend....now about that 41 Spl ammo....LOL!

Frog---OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Thread reminds me to order a Bowen rear for my beater brass frame SBH.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by frogman43
Congrats my friend....now about that 41 Spl ammo....LOL!

Frog---OUT!

It is getting closer. smile

I have to get a couple others out first.
Not enough hours in the day smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That is 5 shots not 6, though I have six loaded rounds showing.

I am today just putting into production a 240 grain lead semi wadcutter .44 Magnum load, that is a break from my norm. Probably won't put it in the classifieds or website until tomorrow. I just got done wrapping up the T&E this morning.

Out of a 5" barrel it is right at 1,200 FPS and from my Model 29-6 Classic, which is a performance center gun (they have to shoot sub 2" groups at 50 yards to make the cut) it was shooting.

I used to use a very traditional powder and while it was "pretty good", I have always wanted better. Something that could be somewhere close to how super accurate the 300 grain heavy flat points are. This is definitely "THE" load. I won't be going back to my old school load for production purposes.

At 25 yards it shot 5 shots rested into .6"s

At 100 yards it put 5 shots a shade under 3"s.

The interesting thing was (at 100 yards) I was having difficulty centering the red dot in the optic on the black dot on the target, so I ended up putting the red dot on top of the black dot. I really did not anticipate very good results. It turned out far better than expected. I would have shot another group, but for one, it was cold and blowing and my hands were not exactly warm. Plus I knew darn well if I shot another group, I would royally screw it up! LOL !

laugh

That's some great shooting, Mackay_Sagebrush!

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Thanks Skeen!

I just posted this load up in the Classifieds!

and on the site for those who want to use a C.C.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...0-grain-lead-semi-wadcutter#Post17955714

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Just for the record, those Jackrabbits didn't shoot themselves! Mackay can shoot, and so can Bob, and a lot of Bob's shooting is double action even way out there. I'm wanting to go but it's still only the 357 because of the thumb surgery & it's been 3 months. Two days left on my elk tag, I'm seeing them but don't want to damage the thumb with the FA's or something bigger & have a set back. Had to shoot my deer left handed.
Mackay, who did your N frame 357 to 44 conversion?

Dick

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Idaho1945
Just for the record, those Jackrabbits didn't shoot themselves! Mackay can shoot, and so can Bob, and a lot of Bob's shooting is double action even way out there. I'm wanting to go but it's still only the 357 because of the thumb surgery & it's been 3 months. Two days left on my elk tag, I'm seeing them but don't want to damage the thumb with the FA's or something bigger & have a set back. Had to shoot my deer left handed.
Mackay, who did your N frame 357 to 44 conversion?

Dick

Dick,

That is actually Bob's (RJM52) N Frame conversion. I have had some requests for .41 Magnum ammo, but don't own one. Bob, being Bob, stuck one in the mail (along with a .38 Super naturally!).

I don't recall who he said di the conversion. I had ordered .41 mag and .41 special brass, and the mag brass finally showed up, almost a year after ordering. I think they must have cancelled my order on Special brass as its been a very long time and no word. I just have not had time to load the 41 Mag yet, as I am behind on numerous other cartridges.

Best wishes on your recovery. Hand surgery recovery takes a while. I had my shooting hand cut on. The years of heavy recoil and other abuse had taken its toll. It took a considerable amount of time to heal and it is not something you want to rush and screw up. You can really enjoy shooting .22s again in the mean time!

Take care

Ted

Page 51 of 57 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 56 57

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,429 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,034
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.