Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by isaac
"hiding behind reasonableness" That's a new one!!

Some of you guys are scary at times. Kinda makes me grateful for all those laws shutting done the so called "great unwashed masses"

You and Bristoe knock yourselves out buying your "Yellow Trident Submarine"!! Let me know how it works out for you.

Kind of amazing that, while a large proportion of civil litigation turns on a determination of reasonableness, the RP amen corner can't even deal with the concept. Because, of course, the analytical underpinning of the whole tort law scheme turns out to be part of that vast conspiracy of CFR/int'l bankers/Trilateralists/Freemasons/Reasonables etc etc. to deny Bristoe his constitutional right to backpack nukes and Stingers.

Sort of makes you wish somebody cared enough to do a little ad on old Ron, doesn't it?

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by derby_dude
True conservatism is a thinking ideology, whereas, liberalism is a feeling ideology. In any great debate between emotion (feelings) and logic (reason), emotion wins every time. Conservative politicians are beside themselves on how to get the message out and win votes. The majority of people are incapable of deep thought. Hence, RINO's will end up going against Hilde*itch in this election and all for see-able elections.
I disagree. Since Conservatism is actually a whole world better than leftism, we have a lot of the emotional appeal too. The problem is that few are willing to actually come out and defend the conservative positions. When Reagan did it in his "awe shucks" manner, it really struck a cord with the American people, and he won two landslides.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
But Reagan constantly had to battle the "feelings" crowd, who "felt" that budget cuts were mean, and "felt" that tax cuts were paybacks to the rich, and who "felt" that a nuclear freeze was just soooooo much better than missiles in Europe, and "felt" that those nifty Sandinistas were just way cooler than the tacky Contras, etc etc.

Its always easier to say....they want to starve the old people and children and give the money to the rich.....and it feels so good and self-righteous.

His diaries reflect a constant battle with the feelings crowd, and an argument for stern rationality, both on domestic economic policy and in dealing with the Commies. He could stir feelings of patriotism, yes, but that wasn't the basis of his appeal, IMHO.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Bristoe....Try and use your head for a second. The FF's dealt with muskets, cannons and minimal sized explosives. Do you really think, even for a second, that if there was the weaponry of today avaiable back then, that they would have specifically written that "The People" should have an individual right to possess such weaponry?

I don't even think your RP guy would entertain that foolishness.
The sole purpose of the Second Amendment was to ensure that the Federal Government could never claim any say regarding what arms a private citizen may own. The purpose was to ensure that the Federal Government could never be in command of a standing army that would be a match for the mass of able bodied citizens, all in possession of the same types of arms as possessed by said standing army.

This whole issue of whether that means private citizens may lawfully possess an armed ICBM or anthrax is a canard. These are not so much arms as evidence of an intent to commit murder on a massive scale, which is an inchoate crime in the first place. An American citizen cannot conceivably aim a nuke or anthrax only at United States military personnel. Any substance or device which would constitute reasonable evidence of an intent to commit mass murder is not, I think it's safe to say, an "arm" in the sense intended by the Founders. It may have strategic application, such as a deterrence to other nations' using the same types of substances and devices, but has no application within the boarders of the United States, and is really no more an arm, in the sense the Founders understood the term, than a barrel full of mercury.

How, after all, could an armed ICBM conceivably be used by civilians to fight the United States military? Since it virtually cannot be used by a civilian other than as a sort of doomsday device, it is not an arm. That leaves, however, every other real weapon, in possession of the United States Armed Forces, fully within the scope of the meaning of "arm" as found in the Second Amendment, e.g., tanks, mortars, field artillery, machine guns, microwave beam weapons, etc. Nukes and anthrax are no more "arms" than ten barrels of mercury strung together constitutes an "arm."

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
"hiding behind reasonableness" That's a new one!!

Hiding behind the word "reasonable". Or more accurately, the elitist definition of "reasonable"......

Some of you guys are scary at times. Kinda makes me grateful for all those laws shutting done the so called "great unwashed masses"

Even I'm kinda' surprised at the number of RP bumperstickers I have seen in my travels through Colorado and northern New Mexico in September and October. Over on the northern Front Range, I just noticed a new RP sign along the highway. I'm not big on bumper stickers, but I may just have to get me a RP sticker--it outta be fun watching the neo-cons get all red-faced as they tool down the road..........

Honestly, I'm seeing more RP stickers and signs than I recall ever seeing Perot signs in this part of the Rockies.

You and Bristoe knock yourselves out buying your "Yellow Trident Submarine"!! Let me know how it works out for you.

Oh, don't worry, if the neo-con establishment haven't already passed a law outlawing Yellow Submarines, or Trident Submarines, or any combination thereof, the liberal establishment will be sure to to do so.

Besides, it really doesn't matter if Hillary Guliani or Rudy Clinton are elected, the establishment will salute, and then go back to partisian politics as usual.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
The sole purpose of the Second Amendment was to ensure that the Federal Government could never claim any say regarding what arms a private citizen may own. The purpose was to ensure that the Federal Government could never be in command of a standing army that would be a match for the mass of able bodied citizens, all in possession of the same types of arms as possessed by said standing army.

In other words, the 2nd Amendment's primary purpose was to overthrow the government when government became too oppressive--which is precisely what scares the establishment elitists. Which is why they are perfectly comfortable with limiting arms to a tiny sliver of today's modern arms.

It gives the semblence of a 2nd Amendent--but without the teeth.

Case

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
See, Isaac, the whole concept of reasonableness is so foreign to the RP mindset, its.....well, its a neocon plot.

Despite the fact that it has worked remarkably well in law for hundreds of years....even before Dick Cheney was born.

Its amazing that about 99% of the non-intitutionalized population (those would be the elite, I guess) can figure out whether its reasonable or not for private citizens to possess Stingers or nukes. And most probably, could make that determination without breaking a sweat. That doesn't bode too well for RP.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Even I'm kinda' surprised at the number of RP bumperstickers I have seen
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Guess it's a matter of where you travel. I'm 16 miles away from DC and I haven't seen one bumper sticker, one TV ad or anything having to do with RP.

My only exposure to the guy is from what I gather here.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Saw a bumper sticket this weekend. First one. I guess its the beginning of the juggernaut... wink

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

In other words, the 2nd Amendment's primary purpose was to overthrow the government when government became too oppressive--which is precisely what scares the establishment elitists. Which is why they are perfectly comfortable with limiting arms to a tiny sliver of today's modern arms.

It gives the semblence of a 2nd Amendent--but without the teeth.

Case
Exactly but, truth be told, if any sizable portion of the American citizenry wished to overthrow the Federal Government, they could do so with their Winchester 94s and varmint rifles. Shock and awe would only turn more Americans against any despotic regime in DC.

IC B3

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Casey....you're so foolishly mistaken if you think for one moment your blather about RP leaves anyone "red-faced". My concerns in politics deal with my hope that FT wins the nomination over Guiliani, Romney and, maybe, McCain. RP isn't even a blip on my radar other than playing with you and some others on the net for comedic value. And, to learn how a miniscule segment of the population thinks in regards their politics.

Do you really think; I mean really think ,that any of the front runners are sitting in their war room trying to determine how much of their war chest needs to be devoted to stop the RP juggernaut?

Good grief Casey...I'm surprised you can't even see the fun we're having with this!!!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Exactly but, truth be told, if any sizable portion of the American citizenry wished to overthrow the Federal Government, they could do so with their Winchester 94s and varmint rifles. Shock and awe would only turn more Americans against any despotic regime in DC.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

Are we getting nearer to the full moon??

Last edited by isaac; 11/12/07.

William Arthur Ward

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Saw a bumper sticket this weekend. First one. I guess its the beginning of the juggernaut... wink

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Was it on the back of a short, yellow bus??

Last edited by isaac; 11/12/07.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
These internet revolutionaries are a crack-up......we have elections every two years where you can replace the whole Congress, if you want to. They you won't need your stingers and Ma Deuces.....see, that's not the way we do regime change in a Republic.

Of course, the fact that only a small single digit slice of the populace support the New Messiah is a slight problem for democratic change, thus the silly revolution talk. It is not surprising that you can read almost identical quotes over at DU, which has a similarly tiny but equally noisy fan base. And they're constantly talking about revolutions and stamping their little feet, clenched fists in the air.

At least our little coven of Paulestinian plotters have weapons to start their coup with, unlike their leftie dopplegangers. Despite the fact that the neo-con conspiracy has deprived them of their God-given right to a mortar and some anthrax shells.

Somebody should do the math on how many of their fellow citizens they have to execute before 3% becomes a majority.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I must be bored to keep reading the garbage from the Paulies but it sure is funny. laugh laugh laugh

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Even I'm kinda' surprised at the number of RP bumperstickers I have seen
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Guess it's a matter of where you travel. I'm 16 miles away from DC.................

The seat of big government--you need say no more grin .........

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Casey....you're so foolishly mistaken if you think for one moment your blather about RP leaves anyone "red-faced". My concerns in politics deal with my hope that FT wins the nomination over Guiliani, Romney and, maybe, McCain. RP isn't even a blip on my radar other than playing with you and some others on the net for comedic value. And, to learn how a miniscule segment of the population thinks in regards their politics.

Do you really think; I mean really think ,that any of the front runners are sitting in their war room trying to determine how much of their war chest needs to be devoted to stop the RP juggernaut?

Good grief Casey...I'm surprised you can't even see the fun we're having with this!!!

You mean Barack Thompson or Fred Obama?............

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

who "felt" that budget cuts were mean,

WHAT BUDGET CUTS?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reagan cut the budget in a few areas and INCREASED in a lot of areas.......Geez-O-Friday........

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
See, Isaac, the whole concept of reasonableness is so foreign to the RP mindset, its.....well, its a neocon plot.

Despite the fact that it has worked remarkably well in law for hundreds of years....even before Dick Cheney was born.

Oh this is just dandy--give SteveNO enough time and he'll have himself convinced T. Jefferson, J. Madison, and even G. Mason were neo-cons.......................

Talk about a rewrite of history.............

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
These internet revolutionaries are a crack-up......we have elections every two years where you can replace the whole Congress, if you want to. They you won't need your stingers and Ma Deuces.....see, that's not the way we do regime change in a Republic.

Of course, the fact that only a small single digit slice of the populace support the New Messiah is a slight problem for democratic change, thus the silly revolution talk. It is not surprising that you can read almost identical quotes over at DU, which has a similarly tiny but equally noisy fan base. And they're constantly talking about revolutions and stamping their little feet, clenched fists in the air.

At least our little coven of Paulestinian plotters have weapons to start their coup with, unlike their leftie dopplegangers. Despite the fact that the neo-con conspiracy has deprived them of their God-given right to a mortar and some anthrax shells.

Somebody should do the math on how many of their fellow citizens they have to execute before 3% becomes a majority.
I hope you're not referring to me. I'm discussing hypotheticals in relation to the Founders' intent for the Second Amendment, as exhibited in their own writings. You couldn't be dimwitted enough, in light of the obvious context of what I stated, to believe I was speaking of current realities, could you?

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 22250rem, 12344mag, 22kHornet, 49 invisible), 2,079 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,009
Posts18,481,461
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.