Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Neo-cons in the Colorado legislature? I call BS....who has Colorado invaded lately?

They were too busy keeping the Great Unwashed Masses in line.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, I read about that....the concentration camps, the executions, the draconian laws, the censorship .....oh, wait, that was Cuba. You said Colorado. My bad. I must have missed the Great Unwashed Mass control program.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Neo-cons in the Colorado legislature? I call BS....who has Colorado invaded lately?

Colorado has become a retiree haven. But we're not talking you're normal "golden years" retirees. These are folks who have made their money, and are retiring in their 40's and 50's.

And lots of them are classic Suburban Repulican refugees escaping the "evils of the big city".

The first thing(s) they do after they build their 4000 sq ft house, horse barn, buy a few pedigreed horses, a couple turbo desiels and a 6 horse gooseneck and a Chevy Suburban for the wife, is to:
--Open a boutique on Main Street
--Join the Jaycees
--Join the Elks Lodge
--Join the Lions Club
--Join the Chamber of Commerce
--And then.....run for political office........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So wealthy successful people with civic involvement are spending money in your neighborhood and that pisses you off. Want me to ship you a few hundred thousand of the opposite and see how you like having urban democrats for neighbors instead? Just askin.... wink

Last edited by Steve_NO; 11/13/07.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I understand the "reasonable man' concept, but also know that the founders did not discriminate against certain arms. They were smart gents and I think must have known that there would be armament development. It's doubtful smile they comprehended nukes though.

When Bristoe's sober I think I'd trust him with a boom-boom vest! smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
No, what you were doing was trying to talk around some of the more bizarre and absurd consequences of the absolutist position Bristoe is lobbying for, when you said:

" That leaves, however, every other real weapon, in possession of the United States Armed Forces, fully within the scope of the meaning of "arm" as found in the Second Amendment, e.g., tanks, mortars, field artillery, machine guns, microwave beam weapons, etc. Nukes and anthrax are no more "arms" than ten barrels of mercury strung together constitutes an "arm."

Nukes and anthrax certainly are arms (ever heard the term "Strategic Arms"...as in SALT treaty), and the US army has low yield nuclear warheads on artllery shells that have been deployed in Europe for years. An anthrax artillery shell should certainly be civilian legal if the 155mm howitzer that fires it is. There are plenty of US military targets for such a weapon, if the Constitutional Partisan Rangers want to pick that fight. And if field artillery is legal, why not Apaches, if you've got the 30 or 40 million for a fully equipped one.
Exactly! Why not? So long as you show no intent to use it in a way which violates the rights of others, just owning the thing doesn't constitute an inchoate crime. As for anthrax, or nukes, however, the mere ownership by any but a military or state militia force could be construed as being an act anticipatory of mass murder, since you cannot reasonably expect to use such a device other than for mass murder, unlike a rocket, hand grenade, machine gun, tank, etc. Nukes, when detonated, blast radioactive material into the atmosphere, causing a kill zone larger than an average city, not matter how small the device, and anthrax is more akin to rat poison than an arm. Is rat poison an arm in your book? Well, then, anthrax is even less so.

Go ahead and make that case. And watch that 3% go to 1% in a heartbeat.

But simply by defining some arms as not arms, you admit yourself that the Second Amendment is not a unlimited guarantee of a US citizen's right to own any fighting tool or machine or weapon on the planet. The operative word, as I said about ten hours ago, is....reasonableness. A very old and not too complicated legal principle.

No, reasonable is entirely too arbitrary a word to govern here. Who's going to define what's reasonable? Arm, however, within the context of a potential civil war, is pretty objectively definable. Not all matter falls into the category or arm merely because it has the potential to be used to harm others. Additionally, some substances and devices can only be used to cause mass death, such that they could not conceivably be used in a civil war, which is what the authors of the Second Amendment had in mind, or rather, preventing the need for one by the ongoing presence of the deterrence of an armed citizenry.

What makes a nuke an arm is the context, i.e., nation against nation, involved in unlimited war. In that context, it could be described as an arm of sorts. In the context of a civilian being in possession of one, it becomes merely evidence of an inchoate crime, whereas the mere possession of any kind of arm, in the classic sense of that word (and yes, that includes all the arms - I didn't say all substances or devices - found on board an Apache), does not.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you were serious in a civil war, any weapon is an arm. If you didn't use such weapons to take out large enemy....(i.e. regular US) formations, your little revolution wouldn't last a week.

You're trying to define around an absurdity.....it ain't working.

Just the mental picture of it is almost too silly for words. I can see you and Bristoe, lounging around, leaning on your howitzers with big Ron Paul signs on them, playing with the rangefinders, cracking a couple of cold ones, bitching about the damn neo-cons.....don't let Bristoe near the artillery shells after he's had a few, though.

I see this is just an extension of the "why are you complaining about a guy just walking down the street with his AK?" discussion. Only now its "why are you concerned that the dude has a battery of 105s in his backyard?"

I really wish somebody would ask RP this one in a debate. Is there something lower than single digits? wink

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
If you were serious in a civil war, any weapon is an arm. If you didn't use such weapons to take out large enemy....(i.e. regular US) formations, your little revolution wouldn't last a week.

somebody forgot to tell the Vietcong that in the 60's and 70's, the Afghans in the 80's, and some folks in Iraq in the 2000's...........

A determined, indigeneous force, can--and history has so demonstrated--wreak havoc against a enemy with superior numbers and firepower.

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I really wish somebody would ask RP this one in a debate. Is there something lower than single digits? wink

laugh laugh laugh

Yeah, but for a single digit guy he sure is causing the neo-cons a lot of heartburn--and dang is it fun watching laugh

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I see this is just an extension of the "why are you complaining about a guy just walking down the street with his AK?" discussion. Only now its "why are you concerned that the dude has a battery of 105s in his backyard?"

Meanwhile us Great Unwashed Masses are thrilled that the federal Courts have allowed Washington DC residents to posses a mere handgun.

Steve, in legalese how do you say, "May I have more soup?"...............

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Except for Steve_No and Issac I see the tin foil head gear guys are keeping a stiff upper lip. laugh

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
So wealthy successful people with civic involvement are spending money in your neighborhood and that pisses you off. Want me to ship you a few hundred thousand of the opposite and see how you like having urban democrats for neighbors instead? Just askin.... wink

Oh no, we have an influx of urban Democrats too--they just aren't wealthy enough to retire and make mischief.

The money urban/suburban refugees spend just means that everything is outrageously expensive in the Rocky Mountains--like land. for example.

Besides, the values I grew up with didn't center around money--and that is one of the biggest differences in personal values in the metro/suburban values and our rural Rocky Mountain values......a very, very important difference.

There is no possible way my father and I could afford the things we have at today's prices....no way.

The best thing, the urban Democrats stay in Denver and the Front Range--unless there is fresh powder in Vail....then they spend hours or days snarled in traffic on I-70 and the Eisenhower Tunnel........... grin

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You've watched too many Rambo movies my friend, but keep talking.....do you really want your enclave to look like RVN, Afganistan or Iraq after the war?

Putting aside the fact that the Paulestinians so casually discuss treason and civil war, there are (fortunately)not enough whackjobs around to create much more than a speed bump. Now, the mental health facilities would be overcrowded for a while, but I guess if you can't convince the voters, a coup is your only remedy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh no, we have an influx of urban Democrats too

The influx of californians, ruined that state, way back in the 90's.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You've watched too many Rambo movies my friend, but keep talking.....do you really want your enclave to look like RVN, Afganistan or Iraq after the war?

Don't worry, none of it will happen in our lifetimes--things are gonna have to get a lot worse first.....like taking away the Yuppies ipods or something...........

Besides, as many Suburban Republicans and "ex special forces" guys we have to go look for during hunting season tells me most of them'll become lost before they get here.............

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by watch4bear

Oh no, a lot of the Suburban Republican refugees are from California....and besides they haven't limited themselves to Colorado--Californians have invaded the entire Rocky Mountain region with equal fervor.............

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by watch4bear

Oh no, a lot of the Suburban Republican refugees are from California....and besides they haven't limited themselves to Colorado--Californians have invaded the entire Rocky Mountain region with equal fervor.............

Casey

+100 on that Casey!

I've been thinking (look out) smile Isn't the most dangerous soldier the sniper?--I mean I'd take a high power rifle and a top dollar scope before a pipe bomb any day. Where is this resonable line drawn? How about them fancy scopes from the optics forum? do you really need a big scope to shoot Bambi's dad with? Are we all potential snipers? What if SCOTUS says we need smooth bores and open sights to be reasonable? It's hard to give an inch without giving some more, if nobody else gets that, you lawyers should. I don't need a machine gun or an Apache helicopter but like that other game, this one is down to the inches. I say don't give the %$^%# one, because as soon as they get it, their goal is the next one. Sounds to me like some of you think, maybe we can be reasonable and meet them in the middle--then you'll be arguing over the middle of what's left. Just keep compromising and see what's left in the long run.

Last edited by JaquesLaRami; 11/13/07.

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JaquesLaRami

+100 on that Casey!

I've been thinking (look out) smile Isn't the most dangerous soldier the sniper?--I mean I'd take a high power rifle and a top dollar scope before a pipe bomb any day.

Hey Jaques! How's it going? Do you still have that bull tied to tree? When are you headed down to Aruba?

Yeah, don't tell SteveNO, but one of the most effective weapons for the kind of Fighting we would do requires what we already have--a good elk rifle with good bullet. Placed right it'll bring down a chopper. Besides, shoot and run will be the name of the game

SteveNO is rolling his eyes while simultainously breaking out in a cold sweat grin

Last edited by alpinecrick; 11/13/07.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You must not of come back to that one thread (which ever one it was) when you asked me that before. Yeah I got him. I got a nice three point (6 if you're from the East) point mule deer too. But I broke my camera along the way. The lens won't come out and I can't get it to download either. It just blinks and shuts itself off. ?

I'm thinking, I need a new camera anyway, I'll post something when I get the bull back from the taxidermist, the deer is just gone as far as photos go anyway. He was a Platte valley alfalfa fed and corn fed and had an inch of fat. I never got him weighed, but he was big and sure tastes good.

It looks like Aruba will go down in January, maybe Feb. Look out! I think I might be the son of a son of a pirate. smile

Hey let's just be reasonable and start shooting thirty thirtys with open sights again. I mean isn't anything more than that just overkill and a threat to national security wink

Last edited by JaquesLaRami; 11/13/07.

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You must not of come back to that one thread (which ever one it was) when you asked me that before. Yeah I got him.

COOL! I wanna see pictures.

The lens won't come out and I can't get it to download either. It just blinks and shuts itself off. ?

Yeah, I made the mistake of having mine repaired--it worked fine whenever I didn't need it......

It looks like Aruba will go down in January, maybe Feb. Look out! I think I might be the son of a son of a pirate. smile

Oh, Oh.........

Hey let's just be reasonable and start shooting thirty thirtys with open sights again. I mean isn't anything more than that just overkill and a threat to national security wink

Yeah, if the Suburban Republicans ever find out how effective a M99 in 300Sav is, they'll probably try to outlaw those too.......a terrorist weapon or something.......

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 160user, 1badf350, 16penny, 1936M71, 59 invisible), 2,140 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,026
Posts18,481,761
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.