Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
MD will tell you that pellets kill feathered things, not gauges.

With today's good ammo and chokes, good patterns can be expected.

I believe him.

Kinda like 308 vs 300.....

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
GB1

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
No, I think the 12 will continue to dominate. I terms of weight, when playing mountain goat after chukars, a six-pound 12 gauge is very hard to beat.

I like and use smaller gauges, and they have their place, but a light 12 is a much more efficient and
productive gun in terms of range, pattern and effectiveness than any sub gauge. I also have found through painful experience that as gun weight drops much below six pounds my shooting falls off pretty badly. A five pound gun is a demanding mistress.

As to shooting the same charge with smaller gauges - it is not an equivalent effect. The larger bore is a decided and proven advantage. This all presumes lead shot; the harder/denser shot has indeed changed the game.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Until steel shot came along, 16 was my all around favorite.

I stopped using the 12 gauge in favor of 20 for turkey about 7 years ago. I use 12 for ducks and defense.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I don’t waterfowl hunt and only turkey hunt occasionally (hoping to do a lot more this spring!).

All I own are 2 12’s. A Mossberg 835 and a Mossberg 1000 (copy of the Smith & Wesson 1000) that was my first gun.

They work fine for what I do (dove hunt a couple times a year, clays occasionally), but it struck me a few years back while looking at reloading data, that for those uses, a 12 won’t really do anything a 20 will. Shot payload and speed are so similar with the advantage of a lighter weight gun going to the 20.

I “need” a good 20 SxS, just haven’t sprung for one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Churning.

The industry pushing demand In a new direction to force sales.

Without it, they would die.

I can't help but laugh.
The very same idiots who told me I needed a 3 1/2 gun for turkeys(i have a 3" gun with lengthend forcing cone a good .665 tube, DT reciever with a red dot.) told me how I should go to a 3" 20ga. Now, they are going 410.

It's true. And advances in shotshell technology are what have fueled that.

I used to hunt turkeys with a BPS 10 gauge. Then a gas 3.5" 12. Now a 3" 20 gauge single. But I have a .410 set up that is as effective as any to reasonable distances where you're still turkey HUNTING and not turkey SHOOTING.

But, with TSS and the other heavies, a 3" 20 gauge will do what no 10 or 3.5" 12 would do 15 years ago.

Does the 20 replace the 12 ?? In a large way, it can. But with coarse shot, buckshot and steel...........no.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No. smile Signed, die hard 12 gauge shooter whose dad started us on super light 3/4 oz 12 gauge loads that my friends with 20 gauges envied shooting. Then again, I’m still a stubborn and active 43 year old who has never thought my 26” Citori has felt overly heavy in the field. Maybe when I get old I will change my tune. I’ve seen too many late season South Dakota and Iowa pheasant get hit by a 20 gauge and keep going until I hit them with a 12 gauge. That being said, one of my mentors when I was a young hunter used nothing but a beautiful Winchester 42 with 3” 5s on pheasants all season. He shot pretty much every bird in the head and didn’t shoot at birds beyond 30 yards. I also witnessed him kill more than one pheasant on the fly with a pump .22 LR while we were rabbit hunting, so he was exceptionally precise on winged targets.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I like the weight of the 12, 20 is too light.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Watched my son kill geese this year with a 20 at ranges we wouldn’t even didn’t even shoot at with a 12 and a 10. I got onto him once until I heard the bird hit the ground. I didn’t say a word after that. He’s 12 and I thought he was just sky blasting. He did it twice that day. Shooting mixed 2/4 shot shine shells, 3”, I believe they’re a Browning offering. The kid surprised all of us.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I see skeet shooters shooting 20 ga in the 12 ga events, they do well.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
New shot, and powders etc have closed what was the gap between the 12 and 20. But at the same time the 12 has also improved. So the gap on performance is the same or similar.
Question is, how much performance do you need in a shotgun?

NRA Patron
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I'm a big fan of the 20gauge and have 4 doubles and one pump so chambered. I love a 20 for rabbits, quail, grouse, doves etc....

That said. There are a couple things that a 20 doesn't do well for me.

1) Trap shooting
2) Predator Calling.

I'll not be giving up my 12s for these tasks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smallfry
Excuse my ignorance but is it hard to hunt turkeys other places? In Idaho here turkey hunting is very easy for me and I do not take much consideration as to what I am using. But to the topic… I enjoy the 20 gauge for the weight of the gun but also shoot the light loads.
S.
come to hardy county wv and hunt, then tell me how easy turkeys are!

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Ridge_Runner
Excuse my ignorance but is it hard to hunt turkeys other places? In Idaho here turkey hunting is very easy for me and I do not take much consideration as to what I am using. But to the topic… I enjoy the 20 gauge for the weight of the gun but also shoot the light loads.
S.
I don’t doubt it I am just curious what the challenges are, for example… just not very many? I generally take turkeys every year but i rarely take one unless I am headed home/walking back to the truck.
S.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I think many have forgotten all the new advances are not limited to 20 ga. They also apply to a 12. I like to fool around with a 20 and 28, but when hunting far flushing birds I take my 12s. Don't for get what the new things do for a 20 the improve the 12 just as much.

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In my opinion, until 20 gauge factory ammo is as cheap and ubiquitous as 12 gauge, it won’t come close to replacing the 12. Even then, the 12 is light enough and the recoil is manageable enough that most folks won’t switch. The 12 still brings more to the table than the 20 does in every dimension except recoil and possibly weight. Shotgun loonies obsess about this stuff like rifle loonies do about the small details, but the average Joe will just trundle along forever with the 12 gauge.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ridge_Runner
S.
I don’t doubt it I am just curious what the challenges are, for example… just not very many? I generally take turkeys every year but i rarely take one unless I am headed home/walking back to the truck.
S.
Probably hunting pressure.

On my little 20 acres if a bird is roosted just right he may have me and owners of 2 other adjoining pieces of property trying to call him in. It doesn't take long for a bird to get very quiet and sneaky if a couple 2 or 3 people are messing with him.

This is why I have started using a blind and hang out along travel areas. Not nearly as fun as working gobbling birds but far more productive.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 12/31/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ky221
I'm a big fan of the 20gauge and have 4 doubles and one pump so chambered. I love a 20 for rabbits, quail, grouse, doves etc....

That said. There are a couple things that a 20 doesn't do well for me.

1) Trap shooting
2) Predator Calling.

I'll not be giving up my 12s for these tasks.
Pretty much this. Can't beat a 20 or 28 for birds or small game.

For the predators loads of big shot are handy.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I switched to 20 and 16 gauges years ago, lighter frames and recoil is friendlier on aging shoulders.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by GF1
No, I think the 12 will continue to dominate. I terms of weight, when playing mountain goat after chukars, a six-pound 12 gauge is very hard to beat.

I like and use smaller gauges, and they have their place, but a light 12 is a much more efficient and
productive gun in terms of range, pattern and effectiveness than any sub gauge. I also have found through painful experience that as gun weight drops much below six pounds my shooting falls off pretty badly. A five pound gun is a demanding mistress.

As to shooting the same charge with smaller gauges - it is not an equivalent effect. The larger bore is a decided and proven advantage. This all presumes lead shot; the harder/denser shot has indeed changed the game.

This, mostly.

Talk to a sporting clays competitor or a serious trap shooter. If there were any advantage in the smaller gauge they’d use it . They don’t. Little guns are simply harder to shoot well. Other than certain specific situations, the “short, light quick” thing is the mark of a neophyte. The 20 gauge shell itself is very capable to 30 yards and most casual shooters can’t reliably hit beyond that distance. Also, the super shells are no doubt very effective but few guys really end up “shelling” out the cash for them. It’s always amazed me that so many fellows will drop big $$ on a gun but insist on feeding it the cheapest shells.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Funny thread

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

216 members (320090T, 17CalFan, 1OntarioJim, 30incher, 23 invisible), 1,239 guests, and 971 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,980
Posts18,519,942
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.