Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Barkoff
I have to be honest with you, as someone with bipolar in the family, it would scare the hell out of me to not have any recourse in disarming somebody having a manic episode.

You’d need to live with full blown mania to understand the precarious situation a firearm in the mix would have.

So let me put it to you folks, should there be recourse to disarm somebody in mental distress? What should the criteria be for disarming somebody who is hearing voices?

If you're going to take their guns, shouldn't you take the car? Knives? Baseball bats? Lighters? Gasoline? Hockey sticks? Axe? Hammer? Nail gun? Acetone? Bleach? Sticks? Steel toed shoes? Glass? Kitchen utensils?

There is nothing confusing about the Bill of Rights and the US Constitution.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Let's let any Karen with a bag full of issues decide who gets to own a gun. Yeah, that'll work.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here's a tidbit from NY's ERPO application:

Return guns to respondent. When a final ERPO expires and it is not renewed, the respondent can apply to have any guns that were surrendered to or removed by the police returned.
To make an application to have your guns returned, complete and print the fillable online application form and file it with the court. You must attach proof of ownership and show that you can legally possess the guns. The court will send a copy of the application to the petitioner and any licensing officers who have issued a gun permit to you. If the petitioner or a licensing officer objects to you getting the guns back, the court must schedule and hold a hearing. The court notifies you, the petitioner and the licensing officers of the hearing date. At the hearing, the parties can testify, call witnesses and give evidence to support their side of the story. Then, the court will decide if the guns should be returned to you.

I have no proof that I own any of my guns. I have no bill of sale or receipts and Idaho doesn't require them to be registered. There's no paper trail. If this law was in effect here in Idaho, I wouldn't be able to get my guns back. Then, if whoever filed the application doesn't want you to get them back, regardless of legal ownership, he can drag you through a hearing process.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I have to be honest with you, as someone with bipolar in the family, it would scare the hell out of me to not have any recourse in disarming somebody having a manic episode.

You’d need to live with full blown mania to understand the precarious situation a firearm in the mix would have.

So let me put it to you folks, should there be recourse to disarm somebody in mental distress? What should the criteria be for disarming somebody who is hearing voices?
No one ever claimed that living within societies that respect basic rights, and have rule of law, creates perfect safety for all. Just that it's far better than the alternative.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by noKnees
I think the person should get to defend themselves against the order, the presumption should not be that the person in the submission is incompetent to have a firearm. The burden of proof should be on the person or state submitting the order.

Its wrong that in many places the first a person learns of a red flag order is a knock on the door at 4am
Well said.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn
If you're going to take their guns, shouldn't you take the car? Knives? Baseball bats? Lighters? Gasoline? Hockey sticks? Axe? Hammer? Nail gun? Acetone? Bleach? Sticks? Steel toed shoes? Glass? Kitchen utensils?

Thank you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn

YES, we have taken keys and put kitchen knives in the safe, and locked bedroom doors.
We are talking about people who belong in a hospital, but the system is geared to allow them NOT to be hospitalized.
Straight up, you are given the choice of dealing with it in your home, or pushing your child into the street, really, those will be your choices. If your loved one lives alone it’s just as hard. Think Berkowitz, or any others who had voices tell them what to do, it’s scary schitt, trust me.

Let me give you an example, my daughter once in full mania, took a frozen Turkey out of the freezer, put it on her front lawn, doused it with lighter fluid and lit it on fire. She told the neighbors she was cooking it, and asked them if they would like some when it was done cooking.
Cops were called, she was 5150’d, we begged the hospital to keep her in until she is medicated, three days later the released her, still manic as hell. Should I have recourse to get her guns from her?

She is doing well today, on her meds, back in school, very mellow and clear headed, but the monster is always there under the surface.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

So Barkoff, do you live with someone or have a family member who is bipolar and they have access to guns?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
We are talking about people who belong in a hospital, but the system is geared to allow them NOT to be hospitalized.
The result of liberalism. The solution to liberalism isn't more liberalism.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

WTF are you talking about, I don’t give a schiit how you want to label it.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sako76

So Barkoff, do you live with someone or have a family member who is bipolar and they have access to guns?

Well, yes, I live with somebody bipolar, she is doing well for the last year, but yes, I still lock up my all firearms. Before she was medicated and moved back home, she lived on her own in a condo, if she would have had a firearm which legally she could have obtained, I would have done everything in my power to get it from her.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To most of you this is an exercise in constitutional debate, for others a F-ing nightmare that gives you a personal insight.

I fully understand how these laws will be misused and agenda driven, all I’m asking for is a solution, one that defines real mental illness from a pissed off ex-wife

Last edited by Barkoff; 12/31/22.

D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
The NY ruling pretty well resolved the standard for taking the firearms of someone who has mental issues.

The existing law is unconstitutional because there is no due process. A simple request by just about anybody, with no evidence, and no right for the accused to present a defense does not meet the bar of due process.

The judge ruled that the standard for confiscating firearms has to be as high as the standard for involuntarily committing someone or sending them to prison.

Be not weary in well doing.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Why am I not surprised?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, yes, I live with somebody bipolar, she is doing well for the last year, but yes, I still lock up my all firearms. Before she was medicated and moved back home, she lived on her own in a condo, if she would have had a firearm which legally she could have obtained, I would have done everything in my power to get it from her.
So you locking up your guns keeps her from getting a different gun?

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

If they have been adjudicated mentally deficient by a court of law, they can legally told they cannot have a firearm. Just like any felon released from prison, that works doesn't it.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Why am I not surprised?

You become a bigger dipshit by the day.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
You become a bigger dipshit by the day.
Naturally, your ilk would feel that way.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by worriedman
If they have been adjudicated mentally deficient by a court of law, they can legally told they cannot have a firearm. Just like any felon released from prison, that works doesn't it.
That's all too inconvenient for the likes of Barkie.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by worriedman

No, too slow. When some people go manic, they can go from normal to out of their gourd in a matter of a few days, what would work is if the law maintained you could take the guns so long as the person is guaranteed a hearing within three days.
There are a lot of laws I would like to see put on the books, if anyone is 5150'd more than twice in one month, the family can petition the court to h ave their loved one institutionalized. As much as I hate the hell out of Gavin Newsom, he is finally seeing the light..

Up to two years forced treatment. Most people would respond in under six months. My daughter was 5150'd EIGHT TIMES in one year, every time they let her out in three days, AGAINST our pleas to keep her in.

Excerpt.

People could come into the program through short-term involuntary hospital stays (also known as “5150s”), through the criminal justice system or at the recommendation of family members, mental health providers or first responders, among others. They would not need to be homeless to participate.

The court would order a tailored plan involving some combination of housing, medication and services, and would offer the support of a full clinical team, as well as a public defender and a “supporter” who could help a participant make care decisions and prepare advanced mental health directives.

Unlike with conservatorships, which can be indefinite, participation would be time limited – one year, with the possibility of an additional one-year extension.

A stream of state and local leaders spoke to the urgency of the need at the news conference, held on the San Jose campus of Momentum for Health, a behavioral health treatment organization. 

Before this when a person was 5150'd they would get a hearing in three days. Only the bad cases would be held over on a 5250, which is a three week hold. after that, 95% are right back out on the street, but I would say 90% never even get 5250'd It is a worthless revolving door, and it gives families NO recourse, NONE!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

435 members (1Longbow, 2500HD, 1badf350, 163bc, 257 mag, 10ring1, 40 invisible), 2,161 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,335
Posts18,506,048
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.