Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I’m replacing a set of LaCrosse insulated boots that I use in colder weather while sitting on stand.

Would a pair of Schnee or Kenetrek pac boots be a suitable replacement?

Are they comfortable to walk in? Do the soles hold up well for walking short distances of < 3 miles a couple times per week during hunting season?

Any input on the boots I’m considering is appreciated.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Have owned both and would recommend both. Also look at Hoffman boots. They will probably be my next rubber bottom boot. Any of the ones mentioned are a big improvement over the La Crosse boot.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have Kenetrek Mountain Guides in 400 gram and Non Insulated and also the 10" Northern Pac Boots for when it gets cold and I am on stand. They are warm and I really like the soft soles, much quieter than their mountain boots. I have been using the Kenetreks for years and they are excellent hunting boots. I have been thinking about a set of 10 or 13" Grizzlies as well for when I wanna walk a bit more. The big Northerns aren't bad, but I wouldn't wanna go miles and miles in them.

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I can't speak to kenetreks,but I tried schnees about 12 or 15 years ago. They were warm and comfortable, and the rubber bottoms completely fell apart after the first winter of trapping. Completely broke out where the rubber bends when you are walking. I called Schnees, and sent them back. They replaced them, said they had gotten a bad batch of bottoms, and that the problem was fixed. The second pair did the exact same thing after only one winter. I threw em in the burn barrel. I have since switched to Hoffman. They are the warmest, best built Pac on the market, built in Idaho. Great quality leather uppers, and I got five years of hard use on my first set of rubber bottoms before sending them in. They will put new bottoms on your leather uppers for about 1/2 price. Just got done ice fishing in mine.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like I need to look at Hoffman‘s.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Earlier this month I picked up Hoffman's 12" Double Insulated Guide boots.

I was going back and forth between Schnee's, Kennetreks, and Hoffman's.

Probably all good, but Hoffman's gives a military discount, and I'm a sucker for a military discount. smile

I wore 'em last weekend hunting in snow with temps in the negatives, like down to -7. No complaints, and I was pleasantly surprised how well my feet felt with just a single pair of lightweight DarnTough socks.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've had Schnee's for at least ten years. Easy to walk in and they will keep your feet plenty warm. I bought the 13" boot, fine if you're going through very deep snow, but not needed most of the time. If I bought another pair, I'd get the 10" boot.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I’ve a pair of Shnees I’ve had for probably 15 years with no complaints. That said, since moving to SC 4 years ago I only wear them when I go up north or out to Missouri. Down here it never gets so cold that I feel the need for anything other than my Irish Setter snake boots which are very comfortable and excellent (for my feet) to walk in.

Mathew 22: 37-39

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That’s great info about Hoffman’s Skeen. Never heard of them but they look great, made in Idaho and like you, I’m a sucker for a mil discount.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Would a pair of Schnee or Kenetrek pac boots be a suitable replacement?

Are they comfortable to walk in? Do the soles hold up well for walking short distances of < 3 miles a couple times per week during hunting season?

I have never been terribly impressed with Kennetrek in general. Their packs boots with thininsulate inserts have served me well though. I am on my third season with them, however they do have quite a few holes that have developed in high wear spots. I shoe goop the crap out of those areas. The seams and soles have held up well and they are comfortable to walk in. I did 6-8 miles yesterday on snowshoes with them and another 4 or so miles without snowshoes. Will likely do 3-4 miles in them today. This has been pretty normal usage on winter weekends for the last 3 years. I do think I will replace them before next year but I feel they've given me much better service than anything else Kennetrek. I am constantly moving however, so I can't speak to how warm they'd be on stand.

I don't know squat about Schnees pacs.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Have both also and like them although I use them more in early fall or if doing a lot of walking. I don't consider them a cold weather stand-hunting boot, at least not for me. Stand-hunting I need more insulation.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I’ve had great luck with Schnees. I use the Hunter II for an all around hunting boot. If I’m moving periodically, I’ve never gotten cold. For short walks and all days sits, the Extremes are better if temps are in the teens. If colder, I’ll add a toe heat warmer. My Hunter IIs, which by far and away see the most use, have held up perfectly for more than a decade.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I own two pairs of Schnee’s pacs, and one pair of the Hoffman Outback. The Hoffman is hands down better than the Schnee’s. I bought Hoffman’s after the others cracked on me. Hoffman’s uses a heavier leather and I quickly noticed that they don’t have a tendency to collapse like the Schnee’s. The Hoffman Outback is excellent for keeping your heel locked. I use them a lot while elk hunting.

Last edited by drakecasey; 01/01/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Sounds like I need to look at Hoffman‘s.

For sure give the Hoffman's a look.

I've had K-treks and currently have Schnees. About equal for both, IMHO.

My son has Hoffman's and my brother wears Hoffman's. The Hoffman's look like a better built boot.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Do you preferr vibram soles or Bob soles?)

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a pair of kennetrek cowboys pac boots that I like. I would definitely get their regular pac boot though for your needs,

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ehunter
Do you preferr vibram soles or Bob soles?)

For my purpose, it really wouldn’t matter.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've used both Schnees and Kennetrek. Both have given good service. I should note that I get Kennetreks from work for free so that's what I have been using. With that said Schnees are better quality in general.
Hoffmans are better than either IMO.

Last edited by BWalker; 01/11/23.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Look up BAFFIN'S

Last edited by wyowinchester; 01/11/23.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by wyowinchester
Look up BAFFIN'S
Those would be about useless in any sort of rough terrain I would think. Just like Bunny boots are.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,465
Posts18,471,363
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.