Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anyone familiar with Ugartechea shotguns from spain? I am looking at an entry level sbs; interested in quality, etc... JB turned me on to these and the look interesting.

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
''Uggies,''as they're also called, are excellent guns for the price--and that was no backhanded compliment. Go over to Shootingsportsman.com and go through the archives; there's a ton of old posts about the maker and nearly everything you read points to a good gun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I barely know how to spell "shotgunn" -- "shottgun" -- whatever -- so I'm obviously no expert (and I haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn for as far back as I can remember). But FWIW, I bought a new Ugartechea 12-gauge side-by-side a few years ago, for 'way less than $300. I've seen a lot of obviously cheap shotguns over the last fifty years, but this Ugartechea of mine is NOT in that class at all. I'm no judge of middle-range quality in shotguns, but to my untrained eye, my 12-gauge side-by-side is a well made gun -- not a super-high-dollar gun, to be sure, but well above the average cheapies.

Ugartechea -- regarded as one of Spain's best makers -- went bankrupt several years ago. The Ugartechea guns now for sale are used or from Spain's version of the company's bankruptcy sale, if my information is correct. I also understand that Ugarthechea was the gun-maker that produced the Parker-Hale shotguns.

I understand that Ugarthechea (a) was Franco's favorite gun-maker and (b) opted not to join the cartel or guild formed several years ago by the other major Spanish gun-makers. I can only guess whether either of these facts (if true) played any part in the failure of the company.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ken, all,

I'm also not a big shotgun guy either and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but am a little familiar with the Ugartechea guns. At least familiar enough to be dangerous. I checked with my pal Terry Wieland, who wrote the book on Spanish doubles, and got some information. They are, as already stated, excellent values for the dollars expended, across the line.

They did not, however, go bankrupt and are still very much in business. What did happen, in the late 80's I believe, is that they had a serious labor dispute that resulted in a strike. The company did close down during that period. As a part of the settlement, the company was downsized and the workers received a bunch of gun parts in lieu of cash. They assembled numerous guns from the parts, most of which were sold to the United States. After awhile though, they found out that selling guns wasn't all they thought it was going to be so they sold the parts back to Ugartechea who had reopened after the strike was settled. Ugartechea continues to manufacture fine double guns from moderately priced boxlock guns to top-of-the-line sidelock models.

I am told that they did, in fact, make the Parker-Hale shotguns.

My pal Terry, author of "Spanish Best," describes the situation with Ugartechea and the labor unrest in some detail in the second edition of his book. It is an excellent book and anyone interested in Spanish doubles should have it.

Tom

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the correction and clarification, Tom!

... and for the word on the Wieland book. Sounds like one that I ought to get for the Powley Center library, which is weak on shotguns and shotgunning. Just added Rudy Etchen's Common Sense Shotgunning to the few other shotgun classics in the library. (I'm increasing the range and variety of selection for the sake of future visitors, which has meant adding a lot of titles about firearms that don't fascinate me.)

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
257Bob,
I had one I purchased from Lion Country Supply,it was a Grade II 20ga.
Fit and finish were pretty good,decent wood handled nice.BUT I couldn't or wouldn't get used to the double triggers and sold it.
Overall I think it was a really nice gun and don't think you'd go wrong with one. You can see them at www.lcsupply.com

257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
thanks to all for the information and comment. jb originally introduced me to these shotguns and I have looked at them at the "lion" site. they look wonderful for the money. I would like to compare them to the new sbs weatherby if they ever become available as I understand they are spanish made also and start at a similar price. I do like the weatherby pistol grip and single trigger but they may never make it to market. also, looking forward to see if the new rugers are worthy of the price. we'll see but again, thanks to all.

257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
handled a uggie yesterday, it was a 20 ga in straight stock. nice gun for the money, about $1100, but too dainty for me (6'4", 225 lbs). spoke with folks at lion country supply, can order a grade III with pistol grip and single trigger for about $1800, same price as a SKB. first choice would be a beretta silver hawk if price was not an issue.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 68 invisible), 2,515 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,447
Posts18,470,977
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.