Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
I recently picked up an SHV 3-10 with MOAR reticle. I was happily surprised to see the complete outer bars were actually filled rather than containing the hollow section as shown in the pic below. Have they changed some of their reticles?

In the past I've avoided some of their scopes mainly because the MIL-R was tough to pick up in busy backgrounds. Anyone know if the current NXS 2.5-10x42 with MIL-R has solid bars to the end or does it still have the hollow section?

[Linked Image from cdn.nightforceoptics.com]

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I can't speak to the newer NF NXS.

What I can pass along is that I find the NF reticles in general to stand out better on dark game, targets and backgrounds than their appearance might otherwise suggest.

When I picked up my first MAOR I was pretty sceptical about how usable it'd actually be on game in low light/dark background conditions; however, after a lot of use with several of them in varied conditions, I can report that those apprehensions were unfounded. I can't recall a scenario in which the reticle wasn't usable.

I still prefer an MQ, or Bushnell G2H as more of an all around reticle, but I won't shy away from an NF if they offer something that fits the application I'm going for.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
After using the MIL-R in the 2.5-10 I avoid them. In the open they are ok. In woods or cluttered backgrounds it was just to hard to pick up. In NXS's of different power ranges, like the 3.5-15, that may not be the case.

The MOAR in the SHV 3-10 was much better. I'm assuming it was the outer brackets being filled all the way in that made it stand out more. I haven't tried to compare subtensions between the NXS/SHV, so it could be a touch thicker. The SHV has a daylight bright illum that's only the inner most plex and that could also help if needed. On it's lowest setting the illum is a touch brighter than I'd prefer in lowest light....but it wasn't to bad. I do prefer only the inner plex being illuminated in the SHV vs the entire hashed area in the NXS.

I'm liking the SHV 3-10 MOAR much more than I thought I would. I can live with SFP on a 10x max scope...though I prefer FFP. If this was in mil vs moa I'd likely pick up a few more of them...may still do it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I have the 2.5-10 Nxs and the picked the MOAR version for the reticle, it is bolder that than MILR, better for hunting even though I prefer MIL adjustments in a scope.

Spence

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
If it's subtensions are thicker it would certainly help picking it up.

Does the MOAR in the 2.5-10 NXS you're using have filled outer bars or do they have the hollow section as they near the measured inner plex?

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
After using the MIL-R in the 2.5-10 I avoid them. In the open they are ok. In woods or cluttered backgrounds it was just to hard to pick up. In NXS's of different power ranges, like the 3.5-15, that may not be the case.

The MOAR in the SHV 3-10 was much better. I'm assuming it was the outer brackets being filled all the way in that made it stand out more. I haven't tried to compare subtensions between the NXS/SHV, so it could be a touch thicker. The SHV has a daylight bright illum that's only the inner most plex and that could also help if needed. On it's lowest setting the illum is a touch brighter than I'd prefer in lowest light....but it wasn't to bad. I do prefer only the inner plex being illuminated in the SHV vs the entire hashed area in the NXS.

I'm liking the SHV 3-10 MOAR much more than I thought I would. I can live with SFP on a 10x max scope...though I prefer FFP. If this was in mil vs moa I'd likely pick up a few more of them...may still do it.

JC:

Those are my thoughts exactly on the subject. Tried the NXS to pick up mil based system, but I find I actually like the SHV a little better. I like the center only being lit. I wish the SHV 3-10 was mil, as they're the only MOA scopes I own, but they fit a niche better than other things I've tried.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Might be worth a call to EuroOptic or Doug; I have a fairly recent (last year or two) vintage MIL-R and it’s still open as your image depicts.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Does the MOAR in the 2.5-10 NXS you're using have filled outer bars or do they have the hollow section as they near the measured inner plex?

Not spencer but I have several newer NXS Compact MOAR reticle scopes and all of them have the filled in outer bars. They are solid black out to the actual reticle and to my eyes anyway the MOAR reticle is maybe slightly thicker/heavier versus the MIL-R. So far I've not had any real problems seeing that reticle in lower light or brush.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley

Not spencer but I have several newer NXS Compact MOAR reticle scopes and all of them have the filled in outer bars. They are solid black out to the actual reticle and to my eyes anyway the MOAR reticle is maybe slightly thicker/heavier versus the MIL-R. So far I've not had any real problems seeing that reticle in lower light or brush.

Thanks!

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Got a nxs coming with the moar reticle,I’ll report back.

NE Oklahoma
Love all things outside and enjoy cooking.Married with 3 kids
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Appreciate that Coopsdaddy.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Posted this over on Rokslide but here is a not great picture of the MOAR reticle, for my hunting I can live with it. Perfect no but not terrible even in some of the stuff I hunt which is coastal blacktail which is usually in darker conditions at best.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
I saw it there, good pic. If I had known the MOAR had solid outer bars I would have given them a try a long time ago. After spending a few weeks with the MOAR in the 3-10 SHV it's much more visible than the MILR I tried in the past.

Sometimes I get the feeling that Nightforce is intentionally being an azz on their scope/model/reticle offerings. I "want" reliable, Mil, elevation dial, FFP, visible/measured reticle, minimal reticle illumination, compact size......the one that best fills the "need" is MOA, SFP, entire inner reticle illuminated.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,400 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,159
Posts18,502,996
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.