-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do it this way...just EXACTLY are you hoping/trying to get accomplished? Concise particulars,never hurt the equation. Hint...........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
What people think is “slick” material that shouldn’t wear things - well it surely is not always the case.
in benchrest we originally used aluminum plates to ride the bags.. and if you use them with cordura bags they do fine -

BUT - I used them with “SLICK” ear material, and rest material..

One of the older shooters asked me to life up my gun after I shot my round and showed me the aluminum embedded into the “slick” material…

WTH !! So don’t assume other protective coatings aren’t not abrasive…

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
MD,

In the way of exhausting research…

Coating thickness testing is yet another dimension… but I would think people end up on the heavy side more than the light side…
But the only way to check is with a gauge.

Huh.. I could go to a gun store and measure a bunch of commercial coating - I haven’t done that yet.

Here is the one NIC resells - if you get into testing they’d probably loan you one, they aren’t too expensive but past QC they have limited use.
[Linked Image]

Thanks, but after considerably more research I doubt the thickness of the coating has nearly as much to do with effectiveness as application technique.

Will be publishing my article in Rifle Loony News, the quarterly on-line "magazine" my wife and I publish through our website, www.riflesandrecipes.com--partly because we don't take any advertising so have considerably more "flexibility" in what info gets published.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Agreed - thickness would pertain with well applied coatings and how long it takes lighter abrasions to penetrate to metal
- but when a guys saying it’s wearing off completely something else is afoot with coating adherence, and that’s application.. application method, coating type or baking issues.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one rifle that I bought “cerakoted”, citra strip removed it.

Have another done by a local smith. It’s been used and handled quite a bit and shows pretty much zero wear.

Personally, I’d try nitride before I ever cerakoted again.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 02bfishn, 1234, 007FJ, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,647 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,724
Posts18,475,806
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.