Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Have a friend who has a Sako 85 Finnlight, .270, and it has the "sticky" stock problem. He is not a big rifle guy, so trying to help him out
First; I hear calling Beretta CS is a waste of time. Hear Browning dealing with the problem; but not Beretta/Sako. That sux.
Second, I recommended Mcmillan; but when I called them they are no longer doing 85 drop in's. Flat tops that need a lot of fitting/bedding; only. That sux; seems like a lot of 85 owners need stocks?
For a fix; have read about using acetone to thinner and ScotchBrite pads to remove the sticky? Anybody done this with success? Then paint or dip after cleaning??
Thanks for any advice I can pass on

Last edited by Cruiser1; 07/16/21.
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Brake Kleen will take it off w minimal elbow grease.

Either leave it as is after that or have it dipped.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Had a custom stock built for mine when my first 85 did that. Threw that sticky mess pitiful excuse of a stock in the garbage. Pretty sad rip-off for a $1400 gun.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Been down that road. Was/am not a happy camper. Like said, for the $$$ Beretta did nothing. They graciously offered to sell me a replacement stock.

I did the acetone/ScotchBrite thing. I taped off all the hand grips and used an exacto knife to trim excess tape. I was pretty anal about doing it right.

I used DuraCoat for finish. I did 4-5 light coats. It looks good as new but I have a lot of time in it. Bottom line, after spending that kind of money on the the gun I was to cheap to spend the $$$ for another stock.

Last edited by Snootie; 07/16/21.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Had a custom stock built for mine when my first 85 did that. Threw that sticky mess pitiful excuse of a stock in the garbage. Pretty sad rip-off for a $1400 gun.

Exactly..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Snootie
Been down that road. Was/am not a happy camper. Like said, for the $$$ Beretta did nothing. They graciously offered to sell me a replacement stock.

I did the acetone/ScotchBrite thing. I taped off all the hand grips and used an exacto knife to trim excess tape. I was pretty anal about doing it right.

I used DuraCoat for finish. I did 4-5 light coats. It looks good as new but I have a lot of time in it. Bottom line, after spending that kind of money on the the gun I was to cheap to spend the $$$ for another stock.

Sounds like you did a great job on repainting it. Probably the best option, if you have the ability..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks for the suggestions
Is anybody making a decent drop in aftermarket for these now?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Do the brake cleaner thing. No scraping w tools, just several cans, let it soak and wipe it off, repeat.

You will have a nice black stock or whatever color you see now as the coating is clear.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Do the brake cleaner thing. No scraping w tools, just several cans, let it soak and wipe it off, repeat.

You will have a nice black stock or whatever color you see now as the coating is clear.

sounds like the way to go, thanks

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Its how I cleaned the Dura Touch from a sticky Browning.

IC B3

G
G
Brake Kleen will take it off w minimal elbow grease.

Either leave it as is after that or have it dipped.

Its how I cleaned the Dura Touch from a sticky Browning.

So glad I found this thread. I have a Sako 85 Finnlight with the synthetic stock and i was ready to throw the stock out i was so unhappy with the stickiness. I saw 10gaugemag's post after a search, tried it and couldnt be happier.

Since he did it to a browning i though id give my notes about the sako.
I used the 'red can' brakleen, the strongest kind i could find. I did not mask off anything, just soaked the stock and let it sit. Soak it twice and give it at least 5 minutes or more. Only scraping i did was with the plastic lid from the brakleen, that sped it up. The brakleen did soften the grey rubber grip panels a bit when it was on, but they were back to normal after it dried off.

It took almost 2 cans of brakleen and maybe 30-40 minutes total. The inside of the stock where the receiver goes is also coated, so i took that off too but you probably dont need to. The stock with the coating off looks very cheap, just bare black molded plastic. I thought about putting another finish on it, but decided against it. Grey rubber grip panels are a little discolored with a white haze but i think it would come off if i worked on it.

Its a huge improvement and a lot better than paying $1000 for a carbon fiber stock to replace it. I mostly like the rifle for how light it is, and i dont think i could find a lighter stock than this one without paying a whole lot.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Local gunsmith cleaned and dipped my friends Sako M85; total price $100. Came out nice:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a CVA Axis that has turned sticky this season. Looks like I'll be buying a couple cans of brake cleaner after season is over.

Now with even more aplomb
G
G
wow that dip looks phenomenal, might have to get that done.
Just noticed it matches the boots in the bottom left corner, lol.

Last edited by gulfcoastsako; 11/03/22.
G
G
Hey I would love to talk to whomever done the stock for you. I have the same problem located in Jasper Alabama

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Inverness Outdoors in Birmingham; talk to Austin. Tell him Bill referred you; he's a good guy.

https://www.invernessoutdoors.com

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Try rubbing compound.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've done numerous stocks with Duracoat for members here and what has been said so far is good info. If you have access to a sandblaster that will also take the sticky stuff off the stock. My friend is a gunsmith and has a blaster using black oxide and it works wonders on paint, hydro-dip, sticky stuff, etc. The brake cleaner, xylene, acetone, etc will also work. If you want to Duracoat it make sure all oil/sticky/residue is cleaned off as Duracoat will peel if not cleaned completely. Scuff it with some red scotch brite or 320-ish sandpaper and go to it. If you want to skip all of that I've got a photo gallery of some stocks I've done. Just got done with one for Sako, hopefully he'll post some pics soon. If I can help you through the process just shoot me a PM.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tag

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
Local gunsmith cleaned and dipped my friends Sako M85; total price $100. Came out nice:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
That looks great!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (10Glocks, 6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 673, 9 invisible), 1,575 guests, and 761 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,511
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.