Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Thanks! I've been easing into it for a few years, and so far like it....

Me too and it's great. I only work with existing clients and referrals.
Someone mentioned redundancy in an earlier post. I just received my last issue of Petersens Hunting. Joseph Von Benedikt article on the 7PRC has a picture of his wife and kids with a black bear. This is the same picture that was in another publication regarding the 7 PRC. There's an article on hunting Axis deer in Hawaii and within in the last month in another publication was Axis hunting in Hawaii. I don't know if it's from the same author or not as I recently recycled a bunch of magazines.
Repetition is why I'm cutting back on publications.

GB1

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
We corresponded for a while before I actually met him, on our first trip to Florida in 1986. (As you no doubt know, he and Debie spent winter/spring in Florida and summer/fall in Montana.) We went bass fishing together in early April, when the water was still pretty cool, fly-fishing with poppers. He was rowing the boat while I fished, and after my first cast he said, "Good. Now work it faster, like an amateur bass-fisherman...."

[Linked Image]

Poppers on a flyrod for bass is the best of fishing. Good memories. Like some of the others I'll be subscribing to RLN - it's been in my shopping cart for a few days now with some Gun Gacks and a couple of Eileen's. As others have said, we're all glad for the "semi-" part of "semi-retired"!

Andy

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
I grew into a hunter reading Bob Milek and Ross Seigfried, Milek is partly responsible for me living in central Wyoming now. JB has always be interesting and informative, with out The old school Keith / Oconnor I am right because I said so attitude. Jb has envolved with the times and branched off in many areas of interest. If interested ,whenever it was possible I would like to share a pot of coffee and pick John's brain in person. Not something I desire to do with any of the other gun rag poets.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Looks like the Adirondacks that I grew up in. Makes me homesick.

[Linked Image]

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Yaddio
Looks like the Adirondacks that I grew up in. Makes me homesick.

[Linked Image]

It is. Winslow Homer. He's got some really amazing Adirondack stuff. He stayed at a hunting camp near Minerva in the mid-late 1800's. Looks like a great place to grow up!

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Big congrats John...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hoping you can continue with only projects you enjoy. Because that’s not work. Thanks for all the incredible information you have provided here. Prayers for health, wealth, and happiness on you and Eileen.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
shootem,

That's the plan! Though part of the reason I'll continue working for Sports Afield is not only do I enjoy it, but they pay better than the other magazines I've been writing for in the last decade. (One of the general trends in the business has been pay dropping for the past 25-30 years, which is why GSPfan, in his above post, has noticed the same photos and hunts appearing in more than one magazine. Lower pay means you have to write up the same material in various places to make ends meet.)

I also enjoy writing for Rifle Loony News. When Eileen and I started it 14 years ago, I mostly wrote articles I'd proposed to conventional magazines, and none of 'em wanted. This was because either the editor didn't get the concept, or there weren't going to be enough mentions of advertisers--and mentioning advertisers frequently in magazines has been another major trend during the same period. But RLN doesn't take advertising, and Eileen is the editor, who after living with me for 40 years "gets" even my strangest suggestions for articles!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Have always looked forward to to your articles in Rifle and Handloader and will miss them. Best wishes and enjoy your retiring years.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
<It is. Winslow Homer. He's got some really amazing Adirondack stuff. He stayed at a hunting camp near Minerva in the mid-late 1800's. Looks like a great place to grow up![/quote]

I'm gonna sign up for RLN. Congrats MD.

OneEyedMule, I know Minerva. Another one of my passions is motorcycle riding. There's a really cool family friendly biker bar/restaurant in Minerva called Sporty's Iron Duke Saloon. Yea, a great place to grow up. My dad used to take me hiking, fishing and camping once a month in the Adks. Him driving me up to the high peaks was more exciting than Christmas morning. Probably one of the best things a dad can do with a son.

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
IC B3

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN
Originally Posted by Pappy348
He ain’t in the current issue of Handloader!

He’s still writing full-time where it matters the most at RIFLE LOONY NEWS, which IMO is great since I believe John does his best work there. BTW, rumor has it that he’s working on an exposé style book with a draft working title of “My Live Around the Campfire – Insights into the Gun Industry.” Sort of cross between O’Connor’s “Confessions of a Gun Editor” and Busse’s “Gunfight”. It sounds like a best seller to me… wink

You forgot Jack O"Connor's The Last Book. My favorite quote in there being about 'the big bore boys.' Nuff said.

On appetites: "If I had to wait until I was hungry to eat, I'd never eat."
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Congrads John, won't be the same mag without you. When I was a young man I believe I took 6-7 different magazines all hunting fishing shooting it seems like after the the old rider started retiring and dying off less and less interest I currently don't take any anymore occasionally I'll buy rifle or reloader every now and then but it's got to be something that catches my eye or an article by JB enjoy retirement!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks!

It still seems a little unbelievable to me that I was a "staff writer" for Wolfe for 30 years.

When I started Dave Scovill was the editor, and after I wrote a few articles he phoned me and asked, "So what are you going to write for the next issue?" Which was my first real hint that it might be a steady gig--always important to "freelance" writers.....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's because I retired from Wolfe Publishing this fall--after I'd written my last article for the 2022 issues of Handloader and Rifle. Have been semi-retiring for about four years now, one market at a time.

That's a shame. I might have to think about my subscription. I've been subscribing to Rifle and Handloader for over 20 years but the past five years or so I only read one or two articles. The mags have changed over time and I don't really like the direction they have taken. A lot of the articles (AR15 and handguns) have limited application here in Australia. All good things must come to an end I suppose.

Good luck with the semi-retirement John. I hope it does remain only semi though. You're too good a writer to just stop.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Sad thing to hear of

I'll need to find another copy of the magazine
with the " Anything but bolts " article.
Mine started out new, but it's passed through
many hands and it getting fairly ragged

I had a couple of Al Miller's articles I used to
share around, but those got permanently loaned
without my permission

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ranger99,

I might have an extra copy with that article in it. Will check and see. When was your ragged copy published?

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
John - Ever consider asking other retired writers to occasionally contribute to RLN?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by dznnf7
John - Ever consider asking other retired writers to occasionally contribute to RLN?

No, because it doesn't make enough profit to pay anybody but me and Eileen--and we wouldn't ask professionals (even if retired) to write for free.

However, we have paid a non-retired writer a little to do something. Not long after we started RLN, we paid Phil Shoemaker to a piece on 'Ol Ugly," the self-customized .458 Winchester Magnum he's been using as his favorite brown bear back-up rifle for many years.

John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Ranger99,

. . . When was your ragged copy published?

Well sir, that's a good question.
Been looking through my stacks of different magazines,
Backwoodsman through the late 90's, some very old
Popular Mechanics, a good many years of Tactical
Knives, etc.
I still have a few G&A and Shtg. Times, and fewer O L
and F&S and Louisiana Sportsman, copies I kept for
reference for whatever reason.
The particular magazine in question is elusive.
I still have a good many to paw through when I'm
not so bleary eyed . Did find Efficient Cartridges and
the High Wall black powder testing. I'm sure the
one I'm seeking is a Rifle and not a Handloader.
It should be here somewhere

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
If you can find it and determine the date, that would certainly help. Over the decades I probably wrote over 500 articles for Rifle, since for a while I was working exclusively for Wolfe--and writing at least a technical column, a feature and the back page for each issue of the magazine.

John Steinbeck
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 01Foreman400, 63 invisible), 3,356 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,378
Posts18,469,505
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.