L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by hanco
I keep a pistol with me when we walk, never had a problem
Me too, a 9mm to the withers ends all aggression instantly. Easy spot to hit too even with a lunging dog.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 700LH
Threatening?
I had a pit and a german shepherd attack me.
I finally grabbed the pits lower jaw and twisted until it whined then as it was dragged along I kicked the shepherd escaping
That wont happen again I keep a easy open knife clipped on my jeans pocket now so reaching into your pocket to get a folding stockman won't be necessary.

Lol. Still afraid of a cold virus?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Guy down the road got out of his car to close or close a gate when a pit knocked him down from behind that he never saw. I heard the story second hand but apparently he managed to get ahold of its front legs and pulled them apart somehow that ended the attack. Got chewed up pretty bad.

They should all be shot on sight in my opinion.

If they have ahold of a child or a pet you shouldn't try pulling them away. That's the last thing you want to do is play tug of war. You drive in the attack on them. Gut them with a blade or put a bullet down between their shoulder blades. If you're bare handed you're going to have to be a little more creative. I imagine a good solid stomp to the hips would have a decent chance of breaking or dislocating their pelvis. Ripping the back legs apart would have the same effect.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll shoot it. But agree that I'm not likely to shoot a lap dog nipping at me or something.

My heeler is with me most of the time I'm out and about. She's trained to stick by me when I want her to and even when she roams its not far. I've run into many other dogs on pack trips or just hiking. This current heeler would rather be friends with most dogs so she won't usually start a fight but she'll happily throw down if the other dog is aggressive.

Just the other day a couple had their dog on a trail I was on and told me it was aggressive towards other dogs. He was. He regretted it. It's great seeing bullies get the beat down.

A few weeks ago I was on foot on a trail and didn't have my dog. Somebody else's two dogs saw me and started for me. They were probably going to be ok, but it wasn't just going to be your normal dog come running up to sniff you. My hand went for my pistol. I wasn't sure I was going to shoot or even draw but was going to be ready. But the owner's actually called them back and they obeyed. Most people I see have close to zero control over their dog, I was pretty surprised.

Another guys dog saw us 100 yards away and came bounding up. This one was easy to tell was friendly. They sniffed noses then I went to leave hoping he'd go back. He started following us. A light kick on the nose from me and he went back.

Last edited by Ralphie; 01/11/23.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I handled my first and second dog attacks with trips to the emergency room.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Hands-on... grabbed lower jaw.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
The only time I’ve been attacked by a dog I was lucky enough to be moving a garden hose. I about beat that dog to death with the free end of the hose.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Things happen fast in a dog attack. Not as easy as you think. And try not to shoot yourself if the dog is latched on to you and thrashing around! If one jumps on you from your rear then you have problems. Learn your local/state dog shooting laws. When I was a young adult working in california i nearly got stuck with a cruelty to animals felony because of a lousy dog incident. Pet dogs are a pita. I like cats and have no need for a working/hunting dog anymore.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by stxhunter

What did the dog look like?

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Just shoot the damn thing. P

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by stxhunter

What did the dog look like?

P
Dead

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Had some yearlings in a Sandhills pasture about 5 miles from anyone and stopped to check the water and count and look them over. On the way out, I left the pickup door open while I opened the gate. Went back to get into the truck and a border collie mix lunged at my face and snapped at me…about 6” from my nose. Almost died of a heart attack right there. Nice looking dog, had a collar. I figured she ran off while someone was working cattle. I tried to talk to her and thought she’d calmed down but she nipped me on the arm when I tried to touch her. I had work to do so I grabbed the wire stretcher out of the box and used it like a shepherds hook to catch her and tossed her into the ditch. She absolutely vanished from there.
Having the damn mutt lunge at me from the pickup seat had me about as shocked as I’ve ever been.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Didn't someone here recently recommend sticking a finger up the dog's poop chute?

Black Cows Matter!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I was once pursued by a very large Rottweiler and it was meaning business. I turned to face it without staring him in the eyes. I wrapped my coat around my arm and got out my knife for my other hand. He lunged at me a few times, but I guess I did something right because he didn't follow up. I was going to offer my arm as a chew toy as I opened him up with my knife. I walked backwards for over 100 yards before he decided I wasn't worth it.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Everything/anything is a weapon. Just make sure you have one handy. Easier said than done, often.

Yeah, vets will stick an ice-cube up the poop chute to distract from whatever is happening elsewhere. Be sure to carry a bag of them with you...... smile

Only time I have really been attacked was as a teen, riding my bike by a neighbor's place in town, on the opposite side of the street. His dog came out of the yard, across the street, and latched unto my calf hard enough to draw blood.

Dog made the mistake a few weeks later of being down in the woods over the hill at the same time I was there coincidently (really) with my S&R JCHiggins single shot .22, which proved sufficient to deter any future attacks on anyone by that dog.

I miss that gun.

Last edited by las; 01/11/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
In Junior high I was attacked by a little piece of Crap dog and the little girl owner just laughed at me.

Latter in High School she did not remember me but I remembered her and her little puke dog.

We take our 2 little dogs to the Dog Park every Sunday Weather Permitting.
Our Park is divided up with a Large Dog side and a Small Dog side.

There is Beotch lady that has a Pit Bull and that Fing dog runs towards me and try's to get me threw the dividing fence.

I use to just stand there and let it do it's barking and let everyone at the Park see what a piece of crap the owner is.

She had her dog off the leash out side of the Dog Park section ( she never leashes her bad Dog).

We were leaving the Dog area with our 2 little Dogs and that Piece of Crap Pit Bull came a charging at me.

I stood my ground getting ready for the inevitable and Told that piece of crap lady that she had better call her dog off or I would Kill it.

So I was the bad guy and Everyone in the Large Dog side really hates me.

One day her dog is going to get me . It is only a matter of time.

I have went over and over in my head what I am going to do to that piece of crap dog when it grabs
You never know what you will do in Certain situations. Instinct will kick in and you can only hope that you do what you have to to protect your self and your Family.

I try and avoid this Lady and her Dog as much as I can but there will come a time when that piece of crap will refuse to listen to it's piece of crap Owner.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The old man raised, raced, and bred Siberian Huskies when I was a kid. Never recall a single one so much as looking at a human sideways, but when they'd bring in bitches to be bred, if the males had a chance they'd get into it big time with each other.

At any rate, when young the old man taught us to present weak arm, wait for bite, wrap strong arm around behind head, and try to break the dog's neck.

Another one was if you weren't able to present sacrificial arm, try to wrap dog up and forcefully fall on it with all your weight. That one didn't seem like a "go to" move to me, but if out of other options, would be worth a shot I suppose.

If dog attacking someone else, get up behind, grab hind legs, and make a wish.

Never had to use any of those, and hope to never have to. These days it would be rare for a dog to have a chance at me or mine and me having to go hands on. If I'm out of the house, pepper spray and a sidearm are constant companions.

One thing I am certain of, when the time comes, it is time to bring down every bit of violence you can muster on the dog until it quits and leaves or is dead. Whacking one on the back or azz with a broom stick is sure failure...

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Dad was a delivery driver for 30 years. Like a UPS driver, but before UPS became a company. He had two run-ins with dogs. One a German Shepherd that jumped through a screen door at house he was dropping a package off.

Dad saw the GS launch, and had just enough time to put the package up in front of his neck and face. The GS bit the hell out of Dad’s arm and hand. He needed stitches. The owner, a woman, came out and said “Bad Dog, get in the house”. She didn’t even ask Dad if he was ok.

Last time a dog came after Dad while working on his route and tried to bite him, it was some mixed breed the size of a Lab. Dad got ahold of the dog and strangled it to death on his trucks rear step in bumper...He left it in the street against the curb.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
By whatever means necessary until the dog is dead.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Beaver10
…Last time a dog came after Dad while working on his route and tried to bite him, it was some mixed breed the size of a Lab. Dad got ahold of the dog and strangled it to death on his trucks rear step in bumper...He left it in the street against the curb.

🦫

Good dog.

Black Cows Matter!
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (10gaugeman, 222Sako, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 257robertsimp, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,144
Posts18,523,316
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.