-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have shot and handled both the new Python and the old. I prefer the older model as the trigger is superior out of the box. They look the same, to me.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mrmarklin
I have shot and handled both the new Python and the old. I prefer the older model as the trigger is superior out of the box. They look the same, to me.
The difference in price is about $1k, do you like the old one $1k more than the new one?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I missed buying the old python the first time around so I got a 3 inch barrel new one this time around. I really enjoy it and have plinked two boxes of shells through it thus far....one 38 special and one 357. Non-gun people recognize it from the zombie tv show...but I think that character carried a longer barrel (not too sure, really didn't watch the show that much).

I also have a 4 inch 686 with the covetted brazilian and waxed Hillary hole...even with that nasty gash, the 686 is my go to field carry revolver. If I found an older one, I might buy it. But I would not get rid of the one I have, it's just easy to shoot and carries well.

I think that they are both awesome, and would really try to get both. If I could only have one...that's tuff, because how long will Colt make them until they stop? Smith always seems to have a version of the 686 around...now, I didn't mention the 2.5" 686 I have....it's really wicked too. But, I guess that is a hobbit tale for another day.

-John

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a new and have owned two of the older ones. IMO the fit and finish of the new ones are on par with the old. Different, but the quality is there. To me the trigger and the sights are the let down. When I bought mine the store had a NIB "L" model and an older "J" model (the one that was prone to misfires.) IMO, the "J" model had a much better trigger but since they are prone to misfires I bought the "L" model. The trigger really isn't comparable to the older models. The new is nice if a little heavy, the older model trigger is more fluid and I don't think a trigger job on the new model is going fix that. I will definitely upgrade the sights and may or may not get some trigger work done. One thing I really like about the new one is I can shoot it without any concern of it's losing value like I did with the original. As far a comparison to the GP100. I love my GP100 but it's not in the same class as the Python . Great revolver but the fit and finish aren't in the same league. The S&W 686 is a lot closer but almost the same price. I like the Colt but I'm sure many will prefer the S&W.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by JGray
Originally Posted by Old_Crab
I have one of the new Pythons but haven't shot it enough to comment on "functionality/durability/dependability". For the shooting I have done, it's functioned fine. My only dislike is the single action trigger pull is stupid heavy though I understand that can be addressed. The double action pull is very smooth. I was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy with cast bullets, specifically the 170 Keith. That bullet has a long nose and requires 38 Special cases to fit the shorter Python cylinder. I guess that could be a gripe for some...

I have owned GP100's and 586/686's and feel the Python was worth the extra $. I like it enough, I'm considering buying a new Anaconda.

Thanks, JGray.
Glad to see that it does well with cast bullets.
Are the Keith 170's sized at .358" diameter, or are you customizing the diameter?

Sorry - just now seeing this. I use Lee push through sizers wherever possible (.358 in this case). Then I lube in a Lyman lubrisizer with same or slightly larger die.

Why not size/lube in one step?........Why do double the work for the same end process?

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Assume you are talking about the new Python?

Can't comment on the mechanics or the accuracy or the trigger, folks' opinions vary widely. I do have some first hand experience with that rear sight which is the same one they use on a Colt King Cobra Target.

That rear sight doesn't belong on anything named Python, or anything with the Colt name for that matter. It is a far cry from an Elliason or even an Accro rear sight, relying on a free turning windage screw with a tiny little set screw to hold the blade in place. It also wiggles.

Will freely admit that my objections may be more in theory than actual use, but will stick to my opinion that anything named "Colt" and especially anything with the pedigree of "Python" deserves a better rear sight.

Bill Wilson makes a nice replacement sight.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by mrmarklin
The difference in price is about $1k, do you like the old one $1k more than the new one?

Probably not. A trigger job is less than $1K.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have both a new Anaconda and Python. The quality is there. Only complaint is that the single-action trigger is a little heavy (double action is great, though, and may be better than the old guns). I've heard the single-action is an easy fix and Colt intentionally has heavy triggers to meet drop laws for certain states. Quality to me seems better than new production Ruger or S&W. Both are really accurate. I'm really happy with mine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If they ever offer the Python in something other than stainless I may pick up one of the new ones. As it is, I'm just sick of stainless revolvers and would like to see some other options.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by The Happy Kaboomer
Originally Posted by Old_Crab
I have one of the new Pythons but haven't shot it enough to comment on "functionality/durability/dependability". For the shooting I have done, it's functioned fine. My only dislike is the single action trigger pull is stupid heavy though I understand that can be addressed. The double action pull is very smooth. I was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy with cast bullets, specifically the 170 Keith. That bullet has a long nose and requires 38 Special cases to fit the shorter Python cylinder. I guess that could be a gripe for some...

I have owned GP100's and 586/686's and feel the Python was worth the extra $. I like it enough, I'm considering buying a new Anaconda.

Thanks, JGray.
Glad to see that it does well with cast bullets.
Are the Keith 170's sized at .358" diameter, or are you customizing the diameter?

Sorry - just now seeing this. I use Lee push through sizers wherever possible (.358 in this case). Then I lube in a Lyman lubrisizer with same or slightly larger die.

Why not size/lube in one step?........Why do double the work for the same end process?

I've done plenty of that and still do at times, however pushing bullets through the Lee die nose first tends to size more consistently than sizing base first in the lubrisizer and is a very quick/simple process. Does it result in a more accurate bullet? Not sure I can tell, but like to think so. Lubing in a lubrisizer is kind of a pain, especially if your switching calibers regularly and is a step I wouldn't mind eliminating. I also shoot a fair amount of of unsized cast bullets with just pan lubing. At some point, I'll probably start powder coating bullets to eliminate the whole lubing process, whether sized first or as-cast.

Last edited by JGray; 01/20/23.
IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Following

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was gifted a new 4” Python for Christmas, but haven’t shot it yet. It seems to be well put together. Just loaded up a few rounds to try. A very good looking gun to say the least.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The gun store around the corner from me has five or six of them, snubbies, four inchers, and six inchers.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I own one of the original Pythons (and a .22 Diamondback) that I got third hand. It needed a reblue, so I don't mind shooting it. I also have a 3 inch Wiley Clapp GP100.

The Python has the better trigger, but the GP100 doesn't have the "delicate" lockwork to be concerned about.

Just MHO, buy a WC GP100 if you can find one, get a trigger job, and you will have a lifelong companion that you don't have to worry about timing.

That said, my Python has never gone out of time

Pershing 1A. No city too big, no populated area too small. We even get the roaches.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1minute, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1936M71, 64 invisible), 2,344 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,708
Posts18,513,904
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.