Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Invite Clapton on your stage & you're going to get Clapton.

But Yee Hah! A Clapton show till nearly the end & Frampton walks over & gives him a work out, a good one. Loved it.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
To be fair, he's still trying....

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E

Yeah he sucks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everybody thinks they are qualified to be a critic... everyone has their own style and favorites and I've seen Clapton in concert twice and I would still rate him as in the top ten of all guitar players I've ever heard. Partly due to his style, which I prefer...

But then, if we put together a list of our top ten guitarists every person on this forum would have wildly different lists...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by KFWA
I've heard almost as many people say his concerts suck as I've heard about Hank Williams Jr.

I saw Clapton once back in the 70s but can't remember if that was when I was in Boston, just after college, or in the Army and I was near Seattle and saw him there...

I'm not much of a concert go'er, because I hate big crowds... but I recall the concert was excellent, and I was really estatic about it on the way back home. I was singing songs he played to myself for a week or more straight...

between 76 and 78.. somewhere in that time period.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire
I've heard almost as many people say his concerts suck as I've heard about Hank Williams Jr.

I saw Clapton once back in the 70s but can't remember if that was when I was in Boston, just after college, or in the Army and I was near Seattle and saw him there...

I'm not much of a concert go'er, because I hate big crowds... but I recall the concert was excellent, and I was really estatic about it on the way back home. I was singing songs he played to myself for a week or more straight...

between 76 and 78.. somewhere in that time period.

probably did have a killer show back then. The people I've talked to saw him later in life in the 90's, maybe early 2000's. It was always unsolicited too, so it must have been pretty bad

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Higginez
Sucks.

Here's a great example as to why. Plays schidty blues licks over one of his best friends most incredibly melodic tunes and it ends up being the only video in existence of Harrison doing "Isn't it a Pity."

I'll see your Clapton and raise you a Springsteen.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First time I saw Clapton live was 1979. Had Muddy Waters open for him. EC did 2 sets with an intermission. Set 1 was heavy on classic Blues. Crowd was getting restless since they came to hear Cocaine, After Midnight, Layla etc.

Set 2 was more of the hits. Encore saw him bring Muddy Waters onstage for a jam ending with “I got my mojo working”

I’d appreciate that more now than then. Did make me practice harder… for a while.😙

The genius of Clapton is in his phrasing- some licks are like questions and the next is the answer. He is the master of the pre bend, and double stop bend. His style is not the Uber technical stuff you see from the 90s. You don’t have to know mixolydian, Phrygian or Ionian church modes to play Clapton. You must FEEL the music come from within.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I can't figure out whether people are complaining about talent or material. Clapton is a great musician. If you want an enthusiastic workout, try that lifestyle.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
probably did have a killer show back then. The people I've talked to saw him later in life in the 90's, maybe early 2000's. It was always unsolicited too, so it must have been pretty bad

I saw him in that time frame and he was great. FWIW.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Here's the deal with Clapton and many like him....

He may not be the most technical guitar player. Hell guys on the fire may even be better.

But him and guys like him write songs that become hits.

That's the difference between playing in bar rooms and garages, and playing in sold out venues.

He's one of the best, period.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Boomer blues. The stuff he did in the 60's was important but he bores the hell out of me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
He wasnt with Foghat
So…piss on him

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been a Clapton fan since 1968.... But I have only seen Clapton when he was in BLIND FAITH.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
I saw him when he supported From the Cradle in the mid 90s

That’s a fantastic album and it was an amazing concert

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Higginez
To be fair, he's still trying....

Clapton has left a large catalog of some pretty good music listen to by 100's of millions of people daily, mostly early in his career. How many people in the world can claim that?

He turned 60 in 2005 , almost 20 years ago, and he's still performing....

I admire guys still getting out, living a full life and performing over 70

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Am certainly not an expert on rock guitarists or why some folks claim which is "best" or even "better. Opinion here is that most of those claims are based simply on what that listener/fan wants to hear and think.

So, gave a good listen to this post/example and certainly could not sensibly claim that either one gave the other a significant "workout" - that is, showed up the other. The more technically fluent licks and musical phrasing were laid down by Clapton - some more showy rock idioms characterized bends/frills/furbelows rather than developed lines came from Frampton. So, what does a judge like to hear?
Originally Posted by gunzo
Invite Clapton on your stage & you're going to get Clapton.
But Yee Hah! A Clapton show till nearly the end & Frampton walks over & gives him a work out, a good one. Loved it.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
Boomer blues. The stuff he did in the 60's was important but he bores the hell out of me.

There’s some real analysis. Clapton has been recording for nearly 60 years and you can still find any of his albums still in print. Of course that has nothing to do with his talent or genre.

The real litmus test is how much of this $hit they are making today will be able to say the same in 60 years.

Rappers are the best example, they only quit recording when they are dead and the mortality rate on them is way above their sales…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Clapton ain't no Hendrix & Jimi's been gone a long time

Still a great guitarist & songwriter though

unlike the turds popping up daily in the shi tty, fa ggy supposed modern & alternative scene

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

388 members (160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 222ND, 1lesfox, 163bc, 34 invisible), 2,414 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,329
Posts18,526,628
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.