Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MAC
A couple years ago I got a 308 Win, which was a caliber I never owned. Got the reloading components and began playing with loads. Quit playing when I tried the 130 Gr Barnes TTSX over Varget powder:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Loaded up a bunch of ammo and have been hunting with that load for the last 2 seasons. All the game below fell to that load and all were one shot kills.

I see NO reason to use any other bullet. If your rifle shoots all copper bullets well, and mine does, then use them with confidence.

What velocity are you getting?

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teeder
Originally Posted by bwinters
I wouldn't be affeared with a 150 TTSX or etip.

But what if you have many hundred 168's and zero 150's? laugh

Classifieds <G>

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not the OP, but have a 130 TTSX load for my 308. H4895 gives me just shy of 3100 (3092 avg to be exact from a 22" Kimber) at MOA.

Last edited by bwinters; 01/17/23.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For another data point of the 130 TTSX in the .308 Win, I'm getting 3075 fps with TAC out of a 18" barrel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thank you fellas.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Can't say as I'm keen on mandating their use but the science is compelling. Now if Barnes would release their 30 cal/150 TTSX used in their 308 ammo as a reloading component........

Are the 30cal. 150gr. TTSX bullets loaded in factory ammo different than the component bullets I have on the shelf?

Last edited by elkcountry; 01/17/23.

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by elkcountry
Can't say as I'm keen on mandating their use but the science is compelling. Now if Barnes would release their 30 cal/150 TTSX used in their 308 ammo as a reloading component........

Are the 30cal. 150gr. TTSX bullets loaded in factory ammo different than the component bullets I have on the shelf?

The ones loaded in 308 are. I asked Barnes.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
My load is 46.2 gr Varget, WLR, PMC brass, 2950 fps from a 19" barrel

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkcountry

Yes. The 308/150 loaded ammo use a 150 TTSX but it's designed to expand at lower velocities (1500 if I recall correctly). The 150 TTSX component bullet needs 2000 ft/sec min velocity to expand.

The difference lies in the use. The 150 component bullet is uses by guys running 30 cal magnums at warp speed, while the 308 loaded ammo has a captive audience as it where and moves along at sub 3000 ft/sec.

Frankly I don't see the difference between the LRX at faster velocity and a 150 TTSX designed to open at a lower belocity. I'm sure there might be some lost petals but who cares - blunt nose bullet should operate like a LBT design hard cast.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I don’t know why Barnes doesn’t change the whole TTSX line to open at 1500. But then it would be harder to sell the lrx I guess. Lrx straight up kill.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have purchased over a few years 8 - 257 Robert rifles all different brands but mostly Rugers for the family. my thought is for deer hunting i will load either 103 gr. or 75 gr. Hammer hunters i see no reason to shoot a bigger grain bullet anymore if we use copper bullets. with respect right or wrong myself, ladies and kids with the 75 gr. bullet still will have around 3,000 FPS , less recoil ,good accuracy and decent ballistics with a smaller cartridge too.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Calvin
I don’t know why Barnes doesn’t change the whole TTSX line to open at 1500. But then it would be harder to sell the lrx I guess. Lrx straight up kill.

Barnes has painted themselves into a corner by claiming near 100% weight retention. The only way is to make the 150 tougher to stand up to magnum high velocity impacts

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It’s not as large a sample size as some members here, but I stopped counting the BG animals I have shot or witnessed being shot with Barnes bullets at about 150. Those bullets ranged from .243” to .338” and included X, TSX, TTSX, and LRX. I have not witnessed a failure to expand, that I could tell, and I was involved in the dressing/deboning/butchering of all or nearly all of those animals. I have noticed that the TTSX and LRX tend to expand a little more violently and do a little more damage than the X and TSX. Contrary to what others have observed, I also haven’t seen animals travel further or take longer to die than when shot with C&C bullets. In fact, my experience has been the opposite. Of course, there are many factors involved here, including the fact that shot placement has tended to be behind the front leg when using C&C bullets, and the shooter has typically been unconcerned with including bone in the wound channel (or even does it intentionally) when shooting monos.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
It’s not as large a sample size as some members here, but I stopped counting the BG animals I have shot or witnessed being shot with Barnes bullets at about 150. Those bullets ranged from .243” to .338” and included X, TSX, TTSX, and LRX. I have not witnessed a failure to expand, that I could tell, and I was involved in the dressing/deboning/butchering of all or nearly all of those animals. I have noticed that the TTSX and LRX tend to expand a little more violently and do a little more damage than the X and TSX. Contrary to what others have observed, I also haven’t seen animals travel further or take longer to die than when shot with C&C bullets. In fact, my experience has been the opposite. Of course, there are many factors involved here, including the fact that shot placement has tended to be behind the front leg when using C&C bullets, and the shooter has typically been unconcerned with including bone in the wound channel (or even does it intentionally) when shooting monos.

My experience and observations as well

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
My understanding was that the LRX would open at a lower velocity than the Ttsx for long range hunting? That would also lead me to believe that the LRX would open fast at close range?

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
My understanding was that the LRX would open at a lower velocity than the Ttsx for long range hunting? That would also lead me to believe that the LRX would open fast at close range?
In general, yes. But the 150 TTSX that is designed to open at 1500 fps has a lower speed threshold than most LRX and other TTSX models.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That's my understanding, but others know more than I do. The 168ttsx fits this too.
My plan is to do some testing with the 139's in a 7-08 this year. If it works out, I'll be switching over to just using monos.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M

In reality, just about ALL expanding big game bullets open up just about as "fast" as the rest, usually within the length of the bullet after it hits hide.

The big differences are not in how fast they expand, but how violently--and how much weight they lose. Again in general, the more weight lost up to around 50%, the faster they kill, due to more tissue destruction.

The LRX is indeed designed to open at lower velocities--but so far I haven't been able to tell any difference in how they perform at "normal" ranges than TTSXs of the same approximate diameter and weight. Haven't recovered any.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Both copper and lead based bullets work well nowadays, they have, are continuing to tweak them for better results.
Copper bullets are costly, and not all work well in some rifles/calibers.
Lead bullets are normally cheaper, and usually there are a several types/weights that will shoot in most rifles.
Lead bullets will leave shards of lead in some meat/bones ect , and are known to cause lead poisoning in bald eagles and other critters.
When butchering, take a couple of minutes and look around, they are there, you can, will find them.
This is becoming an issue with the eagles and throwing the deer carcass out to feed the yotes and such.
I still do this, however, I do take 5 extra minutes and cut out/chop off, any of the "wound Channel" and the 4" or so around it, and toss that in the garbage bag/can for the land fill.
I am not a bunny hugger, but I like to watch and listen to the eagles, and I do not want the dnr to MANDATE that we use copper only.
I use mostly Hornady interlocks and Sierra pro hunters, both work, no issues with either.
Getting a few copper only 358 tssx for trying out, cannot comment on those yet.
I do believe that will have copper only some time down the road, just not sure how soon.
IMO

Good luck whatever way you choose.

Let him grow, Shoot a doe !
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Cutting Edge and Hammer are newer technology copper bullets. They’re more expansive than Barnes, designed to frag.

Not sure about CEB, but Hammer offers bullets of varying degrees of expansion with different percentages remaining in the core. Pretty interesting concept. One can match velocity with critter being hunted, for optimal terminal performance. Accuracy is excellent.

Expensive but IMO, worth it.

DF

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1moredeer, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,400
Posts18,470,126
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.