Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
If you could hunt elk guided with a landowner tag or voucher provided and wanted a 325 plus bull, who would you hunt with? I have no points anywhere. For the sake of argument, let's say $20,000 all in for a budget. State doesn't matter. Thanks.

GB1

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
AZ and Utah has some pigs, And records if I’m not mistaken Seen couple shows and Tejon ranch in so Cali hasSome hogs in there as well. But it’s $$ and Cali. So f it

Last edited by Dre; 01/15/23.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dre
AZ and Utah has some pigs, And records if I’m not mistaken
Seen couple shows and Tejon ranch in so Cali has
Some hogs in there as well. But it’s $$ and Cali. So f it

Now pig hunting has become the new elk hunting?

Lol

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
NM or AZ

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
White Mountain Apache Reservation or the Mescalero Apache Reservation.

I know those are not outfitters or have landowners' tags, but that is what I would choose.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
elkhunternm nailed it. The places for a bull like you say you want.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
20k opens a lot of doors,

Above, Ken mentioned the easy button,

Or, if this is an actual hunt rather than just talk,

I might also be calling Jason Carter @ epic outdoors, for 20k, WY, MT, UT, and even CO should answer your question.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Utah is probably the sleeper state for big bulls especially on private property

If you’re young enough LE draws can be an option for an impressive big bull elk here

Many big bull LE units to apply otherwise AZ reservation

Application period starts soon

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Alaska

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Northeastern New Mexico and you can do it for less than $20,000.

IC B3

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CO in unit 2 with a landowner tag. That area takes over 25 points as a resident to draw and nearly 30 points for a non-resident. They only issue about 23 either sex tags for archery, muzzleloading and rifle combined and the bulls are huge and old there. I have hunted cows in the late season there 10 or 12 times (cow tags are easy to get in unit 2) and I have seen bulls that take your breath away.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by Dre
AZ and Utah has some pigs, And records if I’m not mistaken
Seen couple shows and Tejon ranch in so Cali has
Some hogs in there as well. But it’s $$ and Cali. So f it

Now pig hunting has become the new elk hunting?

Lol

🦫
Lmao
Don’t forget about toads!

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That would be tough to do in Wyoming. Yes we have elk that big but without drawing a tag you’re looking at commissioner and governor tags. I don’t think buying one of those and paying an outfitter is likely for under 20k.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by lotech
Where? Plenty of places for 280-300 bulls. Vermejo is 19…..

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nevada with a LO tag

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
One of Utah's private ranch's

http://tavaputsranch.com/lodge.htm

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
There are several ranches in Utah that will do. The last time I hunted my favorite (a 250,000 acres), I saw more than a hundred 6pts and heard thousands of bugles the last couple days as the circus peaked the 3rd week of September. This particular ranch manages for age and tries to limit harvest to 6+ year old bulls. Accommodations/meals are 4 star. Demand for this hunt is high and it’s not uncommon to have to wait a year or two. PM me if you want more details. Health permitting, I will return.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkaddict
There are several ranches in Utah that will do. The last time I hunted my favorite (a 250,000 acres), I saw more than a hundred 6pts and heard thousands of bugles the last couple days as the circus peaked the 3rd week of September. This particular ranch manages for age and tries to limit harvest to 6+ year old bulls. Accommodations/meals are 4 star. Demand for this hunt is high and it’s not uncommon to have to wait a year or two. PM me if you want more details. Health permitting, I will return.
Deseret Land and Livestock? If not and it was still under the price ceiling of the OP, I'd be going there. Spent a whole lot of time there in graduate school and am partial to that part of the world.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Godogs57

Several places along the top of the state just below the Colorado border from Raton west to Cimarron. Then jog south at Cimarron just a short distance to the UU Bar. May be waiting lists.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
2nd on the Mescalero hunt in NM.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Don’t rule out west Texas. Some good bulls are coming off of large low fence ranches.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by JGRaider
2nd on the Mescalero hunt in NM.

Never been on the reservation, but have hunted in the area - it's a neat country to be around.

He went over yonder way
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

I know those are not outfitters or have landowners' tags, but that is what I would choose.

+1

RS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Be very, very, very, very careful about buying landowner vouchers, and make sure you understand the rules about how they can be transferred legally.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Has anyone personally hunted one of the Reservations?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have not done the elk hunt but drew tags in unit 36 that borders the Rez on the North. Terrific horseback/tent guides hunts. Tons of elk and great chance for 330+ size elk. The Rez hunts out is Inn of the Mountain Gods Resort is typically booked with returning hunters several years in advance. Did a black bear hunt from the Inn on the reservation several years back and blessed with a super black bear.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I’ve guided on Acoma. I interned on the Jic and the biologist on there is a really good friend of mine. I’ve hunted around Mescalero and had a friend that guided on there, but unfortunately passed away last year. I don’t know much about the Navajo, the Zuni or Laguna Pueblo.
The three Rez hunts I know are very different. Acoma is a very nice tent camp with a shower/toilet trailer. You have to arrange your own lodging on the Jicarilla, usually the best western in Dulce. Part of the hunt cost on Mescalero is a room in the Inn of the Mountain Gods. Bringing your spouse and Playing golf during the day is one of the draws on Mescalero.
I’ll try to give a run down on each.
Jicarilla- Bull tags are first come first serve. May go to a draw. You have to book your own guide separately. Hunting for 330 type bulls unless you’re behind the fence. Bull tags run from$7k-$10kdepending on weapon and season. Lots of elk and the chance to see world famous muledeer which is what the JIC is famous for. Late season might be the best value but not typical rut hunt. Country is a mix of Ponderosa down to P-J and sagebrush.
Acoma-very limited tags that are usually spoken for from year to year. Chance at a 400+ bull is always there. Guides are supposed to only kill bulls above 350”. Tags are $13k-$18.5K depending on weapon and season. Guides are assigned. Guides are
Not always tribal members. Late season might be the only way to get your foot in the door but can produce a great bull but won’t be the typical bugle hunt every one is after. Country is desert mesas with lots of P-J and some ponderosa on top.
Mescalero- although there are big bulls running around the average is probably in the 330s from year to year. I believe that had more to do with the clientele rather than quality. Bull hunts are $14k. Guides are assigned. Only rifle rut hunts. No late season. Mostly Ponderosa getting into P-J on the east side.
Something else to think about, when you hunt on a Rez you have to deal with Indians. I do not mean that derogatory but it is a reality. I have great friends that are native and they would agree. It can be tough. Acoma being the exception, as I mentioned they hire white eyes.
You’ve got some great suggestions. $20k is a great place to be for a good hunt. There are lots of options in that price range. Availability is the question. Id also suggest calling the guys at the Draw, Epic or Huntin fool and get on their hunt lists.
FWIW Tx is a sleeper and if I could go anywhere to hunt big bulls without drawing it would be the Tejon Ranch, the Hualapai, or San Carlos. And although I love unit 12 in NM I would be leery of BMO. Good luck!

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks so much Pistolero. Great information!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did you ever run into Jim Bobb or know his whereabouts of if his son is guiding around Nogal in unit 36? I was fortunate to hunt with him twice on drawn tags and he, his wife and son were great to be with.

Last edited by muygrande1; 01/23/23.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
We took an enormous bull on land adjacent to the Jicarilla Indian Reservation in NM. Vermejo Park is another location known to produce bulls the size that you're seeking.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Bears Paw mtns Montana... Area 690

Hang on tight !
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by gunswizard
We took an enormous bull on land adjacent to the Jicarilla Indian Reservation in NM. Vermejo Park is another location known to produce bulls the size that you're seeking.

Years ago I use to hunt that little piece of Carson NF on the west side of the Jicarilla. Back then Deer permit was $20, 2nd deer $5.There were not many elk that strayed off the res then.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by muygrande1
Did you ever run into Jim Bobb or know his whereabouts of if his son is guiding around Nogal in unit 36? I was fortunate to hunt with him twice on drawn tags and he, his wife and son were great to be with.

No sir I dont know the family personally. I believe they are still operating here though.

Jared
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the info. Looked for him on the NMGF SITE for registered guides and did not find him. Been unable to find contact info for him.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I’ll ask some buddies and try to get a contact number.

Jared
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I want to see a 300+ elk I look out my door. If I want to shoot one I go about a 5-10 mile radius from home.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Your a lucky man. Great view! Need a hunting partner??? Lol...kinda.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Brother will be hunting out of Paradise Valley, MT with some outfitter. He says it's either 330+ or bust for him.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Puddle
Brother will be hunting out of Paradise Valley, MT with some outfitter. He says it's either 330+ or bust for him.

who is he hunting with and what time of the season.....what area.....bob

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Bob_mt
Originally Posted by Puddle

who is he hunting with and what time of the season.....what area.....bob

Don't know the exact area, but he said Rising Sun (or Son - dunno) Outfitters?

My brother is a serious head hunter, will go anywhere, to improve on what he already has.

Me? I'm all about dinner...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
they are good.. ranch and fs should be mill crk area. big elk can be anywhere in the valley....his best shot at a big one would be late season tag and hunt the park line.....bob

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Bob_mt
they are good.. ranch and fs should be mill crk area. big elk can be anywhere in the valley....his best shot at a big one would be late season tag and hunt the park line.....bob

That make sense.

He pulled his best 300 elk out of Alpine, Wy with some outfitter. Dunno exactly where, but he said they were right close to the park line.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by scottf270
Your a lucky man. Great view! Need a hunting partner??? Lol...kinda.

I've guided a few folks on hunts but usually stick to helping my sons, daughter-in-laws, and soon Gkids will be old enough. This year I've already committed to a relative if he is lucky enough to draw a non-resident tag. But if you ever put in for AZ unit 27 and get drawn I will definitely show you where to go and help out as much as I can.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Got my best with Swift Creek Outfitters in Wyoming hunting close to the Yellowstone border.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Every year, I see some magnificent bulls in the same general area! 😉👍

Unfortunately, the military has a tendency to get testy when you get caught hunting on the Ft. Sill, OK polo grounds! 😖

Not unusual to see anywhere from a couple to six or eight big bulls grazing on the polo grounds in the fall.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks for the Information guys

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
The Apaches in Dulce NM offer guided hunts on their land. Expensive but huge bulls come off the Jicarilla.

My g8-g8 uncle was Barney Riggs. Google and read about him. He roamed around the southwest, mainly west Tx and Az and NM territory. History credits him with from 9 - 12 men he killed, not counting Mexicans and Indians. Family lore has it at 18.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Several places along the top of the state just below the Colorado border from Raton west to Cimarron. Then jog south at Cimarron just a short distance to the UU Bar. May be waiting lists.

Raton west to Cimarron along the Colorado border……that’s Vermejo.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The weather we are getting now is probably gonna change a lot of elk hunting plans for this fall and a few more. At least in Utah and parts of neighboring states.

Black Cows Matter!
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L

I think the CS is in the vicinity along with the NRA Whittington Center. I don't know anything about the CS, but hunted the Whittington twice thirty or so years ago when it was free to NRA members who were drawn. I wasn't successful, but that was my fault. I don't know anyone who has hunted there in recent times.

Last edited by lotech; 04/04/23.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

I think the CS is in the vicinity along with the NRA Whittington Center. I don't know anything about the CS, but hunted the Whittington twice thirty or so years ago when it was free to NRA members who were drawn. I wasn't successful, but that was my fault. I don't know anyone who has hunted there in recent times.
CS is around Cimarron, down the road from the Whittington center. Not in the high country from what I can tell. But there are elk in the prairie down that way for sure.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Hunting animals is a lot of fun. Any price above $2500 is not what I would choose to spend my lunch money on.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
You will be VERY hard pressed to find a 325 bull here or near here.....

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The Campfire usually has a big load of bull without ever leaving the house.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Alaska

Our state record is under 300.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
[uote=NMpistolero]
Something else to think about, when you hunt on a Rez you have to deal with Indians. I do not mean that derogatory but it is a reality. I have great friends that are native and they would agree. It can be tough. Acoma being the exception, as I mentioned they hire white eyes.
![/quote]

Please elaborate in what way is it tough?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Utah winter kill is gonna be badd

Think tag app's are over too

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Wife took this 7x8 from, I think, Unit 15A in the Gila NF, in southern NM in 2015. One other guy in our camp got a 330 bull. We were hunting on public ground with an outfitter/guide.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dre
AZ and Utah has some pigs, And records if I’m not mistaken Seen couple shows and Tejon ranch in so Cali hasSome hogs in there as well. But it’s $$ and Cali. So f it

You aren't touching a 330 plus bull on Tejon for for 20k.... I know for a fact the guided trophy hunts were 60k last year and heard they were raising the price again this year to almost 80k..... it's ridiculous but they do grow some giants there.... hell, it's over a grand just to shoot a stupid pig there lol.

I haven't kept up on it but I would look into a landowner tag in north eastern NV.... The area around Ely is beautiful and they have some giants in that area as well.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Yep. Or the Jicarilla Apache Reservation in NM also.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1moredeer, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,315 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,400
Posts18,470,126
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.