Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
As WD40 was only introduced in 1953 it seems hard to imagine the average WWII Marine was a time traveler...
I could be wrong, perhaps an inferior predecessor?
Or perhaps the WD40 was applied in the 50s to the stored guns?

Let me amend this statement. Obviously I was wrong. Still, that layer of old lube turned into a sticky mess.

Last edited by OGB; 01/26/23.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Probably cosmoline, it is not easy to clean off and used by the gallon per crate.

No harm, no foul.

Last edited by Sitka deer; 01/26/23.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sea foam deep creep, anybody use this stuff to break down gunk?

Can spray the top of a piston, and wipe burnt carbon away.

Just worked over a qv-6700 fire department saw. They were used to cut vents in roofs on fire. Flywheel area was fkn covered in baked-on asphalt shingle crud, from cutting roofs

Saw seized up from scavenging flames. Flame damage to air intake too.

Sea foam deep creep softened that nasty tar oughtta the flywheel area. Enough to wipe it away with paper towel. Didn't even need to scrub with bristle brush.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 01/26/23.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Mainer, I've used it as a general penetrating oil. I'd put it right up there with Kroil for that purpose, although I think I only used one can because I never saw it again. Never used it as a cleaning agent.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use seafoam in all of my small engines with intended purpose of fuel preservative and cleaner.

Hmmm, I wonder how well it would work as a bore cleaner?

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
if your a lover of Seafoam make your own and save some cash.
https://www.instructables.com/Homemade-Seafoam-Knockoff/?amp_page=true

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
P
pete53 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JimInAK
I use seafoam in all of my small engines with intended purpose of fuel preservative and cleaner.

Hmmm, I wonder how well it would work as a bore cleaner?
that`s a good question anyone try it in there rifle bore ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
cw.... you never saw Seafoam again - is that right? It's available many places - auto supply stores, and even some convenience stores with gas.

Even Soldtona Hardware (Trusrworthy Hardware) carries it.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
ATF works as good as anything to remove corrosion, tried it on an outboard that had the throttle cables and about any moving part salt seized. After trying Kroil and other wonder products ATF worked the best. Outboard mechanic recommended that.

When I lived on Kodiak my blued rifles kept rusting, kept oiling them, what worked was cleaning them with very hot water first to remove the salt then oil or wax.

Last edited by kk alaska; 01/28/23.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kk alaska
ATF works as good as anything to remove corrosion, tried it on an outboard that had the throttle cables and about any moving part salt seized. After trying Kroil and other wonder products ATF worked the best. Outboard mechanic recommended that.

When I lived on Kodiak my blued rifles kept rusting, kept oiling them, what worked was cleaning them with very hot water first to remove the salt then oil or wax.
+1 on hot water. It works on a lot more than BP rifles...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kk alaska

ATF & Acetone works splendid too. 1st time on a rusted vice that hadn't been used for 30years and now it's my go to juice. 2/3 ATF,,,

I tend to use more than enough gun
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by las
cw.... you never saw Seafoam again - is that right?
Never saw sea foam deep creep again.

While we're at it, what's the best thing to get lead and powder reside off a rimfire suppressor?

P
pete53 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
hot water friend told me when he was in service ,they used to take apart their M-16`S put the parts and barrel in real hot water in showers for a couple hours ,told me it really cleaned those M-16`S up nice.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by AGL4now
Originally Posted by pete53
i have a very nice safe queen 98 % Winchester 71 348 special but i still prefer a Model 70 Winchester with a claw / 30-06 .

I would never take "ANY" lever action firearm into a deep hunting environment. There is basically no access to internal components. A day hunt maybe. No professionals in Africa or Alaska use a lever action firearm.

The most common problem is with-in the bolt housing. You can get into a Remington bolt with some basic tools including a penny and a way to overextend the firing pin mechanism, but it is risky in the wilderness. Especially if the penny gets knocked out. Most Mausers can be disassembled with a paper clip, sadly I rarely carry paper clips in the field.

The three-position safety is way out in front the best bolt/firing pin system. It allows for disassembly with zero tools. All of my a "Mauser" rifles and "Remington" rifles have been converted to three-position wing safety system.

Working the beach on the Alaska Peninsula, I have needed to dissemble the bolt/firing pin assembly more than once a day, on occasions. rinse in fresh water creek or puddle. A simple procedure takes two minutes with 3-position safety.
I could be misremembering but I think Phil Shoemaker's daughter carries a 99.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by AK375DGR
Originally Posted by trapperJ
Originally Posted by rost495
i would like know what rifle brand you trust to carry in the ruff tuff cold weather in bear country if your life depended on that brand rifle . maybe the cartridge too ? i
have heard its mostly Winchesters and Rugers ? thank you ,Pete53
Have yet to see a Ruger in the woods...

You need to get out more rost495!

I see Rugers M77's a lot out in the bush. The 375 Ruger Alaskan has only increased these sightings.

My main gun is a Stainless Classic 375 H&H. Had he barrels lathed down, cut to 22" and dropped in a Winlite take off. Love that gun.

But like a lot of Alaskans I have used and owned a lot of different brands like Remington, Ruger, Kimber etc. Only one that has let me down was my Stainless Rem 338 Win. Went to clear the action before getting in the cub and it "fired" on closing the bolt on an empty chamber. Was a bunch of gunk and a spruce needle or two in the box trigger. So really I have to blame that on me for not taking care of my equipment. I do like the old style Winchester triggers for this reason though.

Ok, FWIW you can add this to your Rem 700..... grin
Lj cool

I’m always somewhat amused that Remington fans brag about how they can modify their rifles to resemble 70’s, 77’s, and 98’s. :-)

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
i have a very nice safe queen 98 % Winchester 71 348 special but i still prefer a Model 70 Winchester with a claw / 30-06 .

I would never take "ANY" lever action firearm into a deep hunting environment. There is basically no access to internal components. A day hunt maybe. No professionals in Africa or Alaska use a lever action firearm.

The most common problem is with-in the bolt housing. You can get into a Remington bolt with some basic tools including a penny and a way to overextend the firing pin mechanism, but it is risky in the wilderness. Especially if the penny gets knocked out. Most Mausers can be disassembled with a paper clip, sadly I rarely carry paper clips in the field.

The three-position safety is way out in front the best bolt/firing pin system. It allows for disassembly with zero tools. All of my a "Mauser" rifles and "Remington" rifles have been converted to three-position wing safety system.

Working the beach on the Alaska Peninsula, I have needed to dissemble the bolt/firing pin assembly more than once a day, on occasions. rinse in fresh water creek or puddle. A simple procedure takes two minutes with 3-position safety.
https://www.ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/tias-darcy-echols-custom-416-remington

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm

https://www.ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/tias-darcy-echols-custom-416-remington

Knew I remembered Phil mentioning the 99 to a class he talked to for me. No idea how often it comes out.

https://sportingclassicsdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Tia--800x785.jpg

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
^great pic!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VernAK
Pete,
I have a mix of pre 64 Winchesters, CZ 550s and Kimber Montanas as well as a Husqvarna 4100. It's not brand loyalty so much but it is obvious that I prefer CRF and Mauser style actions. I do not like removeable magazines. My rifles must fit and function reliably. My scopes are simple and mostly fixed power.

If I were hanging out in brown bear country, I'd probably have my 9.3x62 in hand but I'm usually more concerned about bullet than cartridge.

Of the rifles listed, none can readily be bought new off the shelf except for the Kimber Montana [perhaps].

How does the Kimber enclosed trigger hold up in AK? Have heard the harsh environment can freeze enclosed triggers up.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Originally Posted by AK375DGR
Originally Posted by trapperJ
Originally Posted by rost495
i would like know what rifle brand you trust to carry in the ruff tuff cold weather in bear country if your life depended on that brand rifle . maybe the cartridge too ? i
have heard its mostly Winchesters and Rugers ? thank you ,Pete53
Have yet to see a Ruger in the woods...

You need to get out more rost495!

I see Rugers M77's a lot out in the bush. The 375 Ruger Alaskan has only increased these sightings.

My main gun is a Stainless Classic 375 H&H. Had he barrels lathed down, cuthad aodel 30 Remington and to 22" and dropped in a Winlite take off. Love that gun.

But like a lot of Alaskans I have used and owned a lot of different brands like Remington, Ruger, Kimber etc. Only one that has let me down was my Stainless Rem 338 Win. Went to clear the action before getting in the cub and it "fired" on closing the bolt on an empty chamber. Was a bunch of gunk and a spruce needle or two in the box trigger. So really I have to blame that on me for not taking care of my equipment. I do like the old style Winchester triggers for this reason though.

Ok, FWIW you can add this to your Rem 700..... grin
Lj cool

I’m always somewhat amused that Remington fans brag about how they can modify their rifles to resemble 70’s, 77’s, and 98’s. :-)
Kinda but not really. We have to consider they made the M1917 and used the M1917 converted to their model 30. I've had an model 30 Remington and its easily the pinnacle of bolt action sporting rifle for Remington.

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,777 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,224
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.