-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Baptized an old hunter today on his 94th birthday. He killed his last deer two years ago. I'm keeping him in venison, pheasants, and rabbits and I've never seen anyone so grateful to receive wild game. I gave him a dozen vac packed, butterflied venison loin steaks today for his birthday and he just lit up. I took him one of the tenderloins out of my doe back in December. Old guy just about cried out of gratitude. I hope I can still go deer hunting when I'm 92...I've only got 50 years to go!

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
For years my good buddy would drive from Texas meet us in Colorado bringing along his dad.

His dad hunted until he was 97! the last few years we would need drive him right to his blind with heater he even got a buck that last year he hunted.

Ted
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
BTW I am 68 and hunted deer ever day this season.

Ted
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Probably my Dad's last deer at 94. For some reason he didn't want to hunt this season. I told him I'd sit with him but he said he'd just stay at camp and smoke a cigar.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Life is good live it while you can.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
will be 70 this year 2023 ,shot a big doe with x-bow last deer of year for me December 29th 2022, 2 1/2 ft. of snow below zero up by the Canadian border was alone i drug deer thru snow , i gutted deer ,skinned deer while it was still warm and weather was getting colder, next mourning quartered deer and put in my cooler, the very next day deboned and made burger in my cabin all done alone. and believe me it is getting harder every year that was the 3rd adult deer i butchered myself that fall of 2022 alone . nothing goes easy anymore , i get cold easier and all deer seem heavier too !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
65 and a jet sled keeps me solo. Bone out and backpack too.
My father in law hunted solo until 92. He built a device to load his deer into his jeep. He didn’t show up at dark on his last hunt. I went and found him. Gone to Glory.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Probably my Dad's last deer at 94. For some reason he didn't want to hunt this season. I told him I'd sit with him but he said he'd just stay at camp and smoke a cigar.

That’s a picture that should be framed and treasured.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by TrueGrit

Great picture right there!

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm 72 and have been hunting solo since high school.
Head on MVA (1991) keeps me from walking any great distance, so I built me a box blind so I can sit as comfortably as possible.
My hunting buddy has a little John Deere with a tiller. We plant food plots and set up feeders.

My grampa killed his last deer at 80. Passed away that summer or he would have been back in his box blind that fall.

Folks can laugh at box blinds all they want to. They keep kids, women, old timers and cripples out there killing deer!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll be 70 in just a few weeks.
I hunt solo for a couple of reasons.

1-I don't have to worry about what the other guy wants to do or go. I go where I want for as long as I want. I can nap, wander, glass or just go home if that suits me. Most likely I have a spot picked out to glass for a target buck I scouted and I'll stay there all day.

2-The property I hunt for both deer and elk here locally is private and I'm not allowed to bring anyone else along. Which admittedly is the biggest excuse for going solo.

I'm careful about where I hunt, as regarding game retrieval. No deep canyons anymore.
When I scout during July and August, I'm also looking for ways to get my quad into that location for game removal. I've spent some long weary days getting elk out by myself, but I can still do it...

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fury01
65 and a jet sled keeps me solo. Bone out and backpack too.
My father in law hunted solo until 92. He built a device to load his deer into his jeep. He didn’t show up at dark on his last hunt. I went and found him. Gone to Glory.

How great is that!

I've often said, the best thing that can happen to me is to head to my tree stand one morning and not come back. No better way to go to glory.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
another thing my wife is very understanding since the 1st day i met her , i have my own deer camp for 23 years , this fall i was up there for 3 weeks mostly alone during the rifle season , and 2 more weeks after Christmas alone . time still goes fast i spend a lot of time watching deer , the alone time makes a person appreciate a good wife better too, i take a book or 2 with , i have no computer or TV and that is a blessing !

Last edited by pete53; 01/20/23.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Hook
Originally Posted by Sbrown
Turned 74 last month. Hunt by myself. Ain't about to give up now!

I also turned 74 last month and still do it on my own. It appears that I will need to buy a new knee during the off season if I want to do it next year.

Shot this smallish 8 pt Friday. Fortunately could back the jeep up to him to load onto the cargo rack. Don't know if I could have pulled him very far with the bum knee. Field dressed him and went to BIL's place to hang, skin and quarter him. Put the meat into his old shop refrigerator to age out. No problems at all other than taking longer to do nowadays. Hope I have several more years before having to give it up or needing help.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Well, I’m 73 and hoping for a few more good years. For several years now I’ve made a practice of hunting uphill and had to be disciplined about not getting a Mike from the truck. Our country is too rough to be dragging any great distance. And I don’t drag up the ridges any more. That chit will kill a guy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My father will be 77 this summer. The pace may have slowed a bit in recent years but the head and heart are still mid-40's. blush

WWP53D
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Uh huh. It’s the body that tends to give us hell. And good for your dad!

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I'm 71 and mostly hunt alone here in western Washington. I typically hunt on State land within an hour of home. Most all of the roads are closed to any type of motorized use and the ground is steep. My neice and her husband purchased a large plot of ground in NE Washington and my 69 year old brother also has property on the east side. I've been able to hunt on their properties some over the last 3 or 4 years and been successful for deer and bear. Being able to utilize a quad for access and recovery is really nice! I still get out as many days during the season as possible whether East or West, I enjoy the peace and solitude and think about how I miss hunting with my dad.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by foureyes4
I'm 71 and mostly hunt alone here in western Washington. I typically hunt on State land within an hour of home. Most all of the roads are closed to any type of motorized use and the ground is steep. My neice and her husband purchased a large plot of ground in NE Washington and my 69 year old brother also has property on the east side. I've been able to hunt on their properties some over the last 3 or 4 years and been successful for deer and bear. Being able to utilize a quad for access and recovery is really nice! I still get out as many days during the season as possible whether East or West, I enjoy the peace and solitude and think about how I miss hunting with my dad.
Amen!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by StudDuck
May God bless you older guys with many more seasons.

My Dad was 72 when he died, but was still doing it all on his own. My Father-In-Law will be 79 this year and still does it alone.

I'm 52 and already use my winch and help when I can. Somewhere between the age of 45 & 50, I realized I was playing a long-term game and needed to be more careful.

Smart, very smart.

At some point, you’ll find that when you hurt yourself, it takes a long, long time to heal. In my case, that can be six months. Got a gammy leg right now that has me hopping around like Walter Brennan. Had the same deal with the other leg in 2021. No idea exactly what happened in either case.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
62nd year, still gut, drag and load meself

There's always hope as long as there's lead in the air.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 1,480 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.