Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I've seen some gun chiefs use regular coke (soda type) to clean the carbon off their muzzle breaks on their M109A3's.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Al- what is your take on the Sinclair Chamber Length Gages and potentially letting cases exceed book max lengths in? Thank you.

I use them all the time....every hand loader should have them. Finding your chambers actually length, is very important. Once you know that, the case can be trimmed accordingly. For example, I have a Savage single shot 112J in 25-06 with the factory barrel. The actual chamber length is .040 longer than the max. length per SAMMI. When I got it, there was so much hard powder in the end of the chamber....didn't think I'd ever get it all out! I just let the necks grow to fit the chamber. Even on a custom chamber, it's good to know and not trust the chamber length to the reamer specs. Jot down the length after checking it and toss it in the die box or your ammo box for reference.

I load for stuff from hunting rigs to competition guns....here's a few of the ones I use. You can also have the reamer used on a custom build put into a piece of aluminum round and mill half of it away. This gives a very good visual of where the neck is at.

Good shootin' -Al

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

When I chamber a barrel, I run the reamer into the barrel stub for an exact copy of the chanber for that reamer/barrel.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been following Speedy Gonzales' process lately:

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Someone mentioned simple green and an ultrasonic cleaner. I've found this to be an extremely effective method of cleaning components BUT I've also had it completely removed the finish from a few guns/components. A surplus CZ-75 looked like it was made from stainless steel once I pulled it out of the cleaner-- I ended up nitriding the entire gun. The aluminum cylinder on my father-in-law's .22 revolver was completely devoid of finish after 30 minutes in the solution. Be careful what you use it on!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Woodhits; 01/25/23.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I use Simple Green a lot in the ultrasonic cleaner with either a 4:1 or 5:1 water mix. Some metals and coatings do act strange, for sure. Some aluminum parts will blacken, too. I've purposely done that and clear coated afterwards.

I ran my CLR test on 4 stainless barrell stubs from 4 different barrel makers. And CLR'd a barrel with a hard carbon ring in it. Based on that, I'll stick to what I'm doing for a safe and effective way to remove hard carbon in the throat/neck area.

Normal carbon deposits in a brake, suppressor or tuner are a different matter than the hard build up being discussed. Countless cleaners will do a nice job for that.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a fan of Seafoam in an engine with carbon build-up. I've always wondered if plugging a bore and filling it up with Seafoam would help soften/remove carbon. Anyone ever given this a try?

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I use the aerosol version of seafoam for my regular carbon cleaner on patches. It works well for me.
F01

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I completely etched a stainless tuner off one of my benchrest rifles using CLR. Be careful with that stuff.

S
SWJ Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Need some help with these bore scope pics, please

First two are pre pics that I felt were hard carbon. Used your method and the last two are post.

What I felt was hard carbon is gone, but what is the rough area by the arrow in the 4 th pic?

The orientation of the images changes but use the longitudinal crack to orient.

This is a Ruger 77 MKII, 7x57 that I bought used around 25 years ago and has never been a great shooter. It had a glassed pressure point at the tip of the stock. Getting back around to it and free floated the barrel, floated the mag box, tightened it up to Ruger spec and got that carbon ring out I think. Hopefully, it will shot better!

Thanks

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SWJ; 03/10/24.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
have ruffled a lot of feathers lately with my recommendations of soaking in kroil oil and then scrubbing heartily with the bronze brush work for me.

with some people got all butt hurt about that but I also have a borescope and watch what work after I already tried many products..
yet I'm not brave or stupid enough to run CLR or other [bleep] like that through it.. a highly recommended product that I did not use or try it was Boretec eliminator.. might be worth a shot ..

IC B3

S
SWJ Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Fixed pics! Old dog, new tricks…

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That's just normal cracking that occurs...even with very low round count. That area is also prone to discoloration that can't be treated with an abrasive to look like new. No worries with either one.

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, I have seen that sort of cracking in as few as a couple hundred shots in a .223 used for prairie dog shooting.

That said, when groups start to open up in a PD rifle that's been cleaned, I have semi-restored 'em by firing a few bore-lapping bullets to smooth the surface of the cracks. Which is another place where a bore-scope comes in handy: You only want to fire just enough shots to smooth the cracks, no more....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yep, I have seen that sort of cracking in as few as a couple hundred shots in a .223 used for prairie dog shooting.

That said, when groups start to open up in a PD rifle that's been cleaned, I have semi-restored 'em by firing a few bore-lapping bullets to smooth the surface of the cracks. Which is another place where a bore-scope comes in handy: You only want to fire just enough shots to smooth the cracks, no more....

John, there's a NECO lapping kit here I've used in the past in that same situation. A Ruger 77 in 25-06 really benefitted from it.

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
S
SWJ Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks, wasn’t sure what I was seeing.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
John, there's a NECO lapping kit here I've used in the past in that same situation. A Ruger 77 in 25-06 really benefitted from it.

Good shootin' smile -Al

Yep, the NECO kit is what I've used for quite a while. David Tubbs' Final Finish bullets also work, but are more expensive--and with the NECO and a bore-scope you only have to make enough bullets to get the job done.

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A note on hard carbon rings in the throats of some barrels:

Briefly, if you have a deposit of carbon and if you subject it to sufficiently high temperatures and pressures, you can wind up with diamond, which is pretty hard.

Google says the required temperature to create diamond is 900 to 1300C, which is less than the temperature of burning smokeless powder in a cartridge (about 1550-1850C). Required pressure to form diamonds is 650,000 - 850,000 psi. This is about 10 times greater than the pressures rifles develop as the bullet passes through the chamber throat.

So, while the hard carbon ring in a barrel throat is far from diamond, under some throat pressures and temperatures it can become really hard compared to other carbon deposits on the rifle.

I recall reports in Precision Shooting magazine in the early 1990s about the results of firing Shilen's 6mm Sabre cartridge. Along with really high velocities, there were descriptions of the formation of hard carbon deposits in the throat. In the 1993(?) report in Guns & Ammo of development of his 6mm Mach IV, Ross Seyfried told of the formation of the hard carbon ring, and of using regular cleaning with J-B abrasive cleaner to minimize it. (Note: J-B's abrasive is synthetic sapphire.)

--Bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ldholton
have ruffled a lot of feathers lately with my recommendations of soaking in kroil oil and then scrubbing heartily with the bronze brush work for me.

Doesn;t bother me none. I've got two long neglected bores hanging up soaking in Kroil overnight.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Al, being i the high performance auto business, have you seen or used the original GM TEC? I bought several cans when it was discontinued for possible cancer concerns. It was designed as a combustion chamber carbon cleaner. I mix it with white ammonia and Kroil for my barrel cleaning solvent. A fellow did an exhaustive test of several cleaners and found it to be best.
PM if you want a can.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BullShooter
A note on hard carbon rings in the throats of some barrels:

Briefly, if you have a deposit of carbon and if you subject it to sufficiently high temperatures and pressures, you can wind up with diamond, which is pretty hard.

Google says the required temperature to create diamond is 900 to 1300C, which is less than the temperature of burning smokeless powder in a cartridge (about 1550-1850C). Required pressure to form diamonds is 650,000 - 850,000 psi. This is about 10 times greater than the pressures rifles develop as the bullet passes through the chamber throat.

So, while the hard carbon ring in a barrel throat is far from diamond, under some throat pressures and temperatures it can become really hard compared to other carbon deposits on the rifle.

I recall reports in Precision Shooting magazine in the early 1990s about the results of firing Shilen's 6mm Sabre cartridge. Along with really high velocities, there were descriptions of the formation of hard carbon deposits in the throat. In the 1993(?) report in Guns & Ammo of development of his 6mm Mach IV, Ross Seyfried told of the formation of the hard carbon ring, and of using regular cleaning with J-B abrasive cleaner to minimize it. (Note: J-B's abrasive is synthetic sapphire.)

--Bob

Not true. JB uses Almadine and Pyrope Garnet sand. Commonly used in sand blasting.

Swifty
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12savage, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,206 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,914
Posts18,479,587
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.