-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got one niece set up this year in a ladder stand with the wind perfect for a trail to a bedding area with some scrapes and rubs around, and she got a nice buck opening morning.

I spent more time trying to make sure she was set up than I usually do for myself, and next year it's the same thing, but for her sister.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by pete53
I’m always cutting brush, no end to that

use more round - up

Rancher will not allow that, runs cows.
Not sure how/why he has that rule...

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Going to build a box stand for my wife to hunt out of and plant some green food by it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been in the same deer camp here at home since 76. When I got in we had 3000 acres to hunt but only 350 owned. 40 deer down for the group opening week was common back then. 30 years ago my father and I kept telling them that we needed to buy land around us as it comes up. Log it to help the ground and to help pay for it in a ten year rotational plan. They all laughed at us and elected to keep costs down. FF to today. Those same 35 guys are all hunting on the 350. I haven't hunted on camp property in 20 years . The 35 of them shot 4 deer for the entire season (a month long). It's a joke. Dad and I have been hunting a small 119ac farm. We leave it alone until gun season. We both sit in the same 2 seats every year and are usually back at camp by lunchtime most years. My area does not produce good deer but we have a bunch of them. Its a meat hunt at best. My plan for next year is to try and find a lease to join out of state or another campout of state. Going to be putting in for Iowa, we'll see what the draw brings. Times changed and I can't swing the trips I used to do anymore.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by pete53
I’m always cutting brush, no end to that

use more round - up

Rancher will not allow that, runs cows.
Not sure how/why he has that rule...

That place is so overgrazed the cows eat the bushes, cactus, anything. He is afraid they would eat some of brush killer. He calls those bushes persimmons, gives the cows projectile cshits when they eat them. In the pic below you can see his fence line, lots of dead juniper on his place because it died during a big drought about 12 years ago. His entire place is like that. There is grass across the fence, ours is mostly bare ground.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 02/01/23.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
hanco and pete53 are hunting together in MN & TX!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
I ain’t goin to Minnesota

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

C'mon man - it might do you some good to experience deer hunting beyond guarding a corn flinger. smile
And you'd get to hunt with a MN legend.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by SKane

C'mon man - it might do you some good to experience deer hunting beyond guarding a corn flinger. smile
And you'd get to hunt with a MN legend.

I hunted a place for 15 yrs in Ozona Texas that I could walk and hunt, ease up on deer if the wind was right. I liked walking rims of canyons to see what jumps up. I tire of guarding corn feeders for sure, butt no desire to go to Minnesota.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Same as every year, hunt the Crown( public) land on the river and in the river valley proper for 90% of the season fir my mule deer and white tails . Possibly go down to a friend's place and huntvsome private farm land.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We'll be back at our camp. I'll hopefully will still be Patriarch. Wash Rinse Repeat.

We really are behind in a couple of general tasks due to my Chemo. We need to start developing a couple more hunting venues (stand or blinds). Moose's back injury makes it hard for him to climb ladders, and it'd help if we could get a couple more ground blinds established, especially ones closer to the cabin. On 200 acres, there's all kinds of potential, but finding a new spot that does not encroach on an existing spot is getting harder. Also nobody wants to go where there's a guaranteed 100-200 ft of altitude difference schlepping the deer out. Right now, 80 % of our deer are taken where we can just roll right out with the truck.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by shaman
We'll be back at our camp. I'll hopefully will still be Patriarch. Wash Rinse Repeat.

We really are behind in a couple of general tasks due to my Chemo. We need to start developing a couple more hunting venues (stand or blinds). Moose's back injury makes it hard for him to climb ladders, and it'd help if we could get a couple more ground blinds established, especially ones closer to the cabin. On 200 acres, there's all kinds of potential, but finding a new spot that does not encroach on an existing spot is getting harder. Also nobody wants to go where there's a guaranteed 100-200 ft of altitude difference schlepping the deer out. Right now, 80 % of our deer are taken where we can just roll right out with the truck.

Glad you are taking care of the older hunters

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Pretty much the same plan for me as in the last 20 years. Only better. Most of the spring and early summer will be opening trails and improving habitat.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
I need to go towards the end of March, check things, spring Turkey season be soon after that. I’d like to get a couple of cameras that send pics to my phone. I haven’t fooled with cameras in years, mostly because of pigs. I grew tired of pig pics.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Definitely different. Last year was a transition from deer rich North Georgia (where we used to live until last summer) to the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont for deer hunting, and in the first couple days of the season there was a nice snowfall resulting in "tracking snow". I dug out my old woolens that had seen only occasional use for the last 40 years, and set about doing some "Benoit style" deer hunting as well as sitting in the evenings over fields. All told, I got longish shots off at 2 bucks, but no blood or hair. Anyway the whole experience was awesome.

So for this year the plan is to go big:

1) Prepare for tracking. There is a nearby state forest with plenty of room.
2) Set up ground blinds and tree stands for non snowy days, and for when it makes sense to hunker down.
3) Mebbe dig out the bow and get reacquainted with that.
4) Maybe try muzzleloader.

I got the tags for all variations, and excitement for all of it, so ...... going big!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
I might be helping a guy I’m getting on our lease. He got me on one years ago.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got off the lease that I was on in east Texas. I had people hunting my stand, blowing holes through the front gate of the property, and they were knocking down our feeders as well. I have had my fill of hunting east Texas. I plan to be on a lease in the future but I wonder if it will ever happen due to the increase in prices. Things have gotten insanely expensive. If you can find a place for under three thousand dollars you've hit the jackpot.

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 18 preference points for CO. May cash them in on a high end hunt. Or maybe do one on my bucket list: Anticosti Island. Turning 60 in May so I may decide to gift myself.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
I got off the lease that I was on in east Texas. I had people hunting my stand, blowing holes through the front gate of the property, and they were knocking down our feeders as well. I have had my fill of hunting east Texas. I plan to be on a lease in the future but I wonder if it will ever happen due to the increase in prices. Things have gotten insanely expensive. If you can find a place for under three thousand dollars you've hit the jackpot.

That is the bad thing about east Texas. It’s the locals doing that. I hunted by the Indian Rez. We had feeders stolen, campers broken into. I hunted way in the back, didn’t have my things damaged.

Leases are expensive, paying 2500.00 plus 200.00 for electricity in Burnet county

Last edited by hanco; 02/17/23.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Every place in the state I've ever hunted has
had poaching and some vandalism.
It's not noticed in the west and far south for
whatever reason, but it happens. If you're not
there all the time to catch em, they'll be trespassing
and doing whatever they want when you leave.
In east Texas, it's almost always the neighbors
and/or their kids. They watch you come and go
and know if you're coming back right away or not.
A good many have an entitlement attitude that
comes from the early statehood days when
people could go wherever they wanted and do
whatever they wanted to whenever they wanted
to. There's really no way to stop it if you're not
on site full time. Hunting the south is more scary
to me with all the border jumpers and possible
zetas running willy nilly all over the place.
One of the places around freer had a tall razor
wire topped security fence enclosure for the
"campsite " where the RV'S and vehicles were
parked that was locked every night to prevent any
robbery or worse. When you went to your blind,
you had to do a semi tactical entry in case there
were any border jumpers asleep inside. It
wasn't nothing to see some trying to slip by
during the day while sitting in the blind. The
La Migra trucks and agents were a common sight

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 69 invisible), 2,620 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,476
Posts18,471,571
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.