Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Not assume room temperature until after.......

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
GB1

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by geedubya
Not assume room temperature until after.......

ya!

GWB

I hope not, but you never know. I got a friend on the lease, will need to help him get set up.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I’m changing things up quite a bit this year. For nearly the past 20 years I have hunted the same region of the Adirondacks, the High Peaks Wilderness Area. It is a huge chunk of public land that is cross crossed with numerous streams and rivers that surround mountains. The area hasn’t been logged for nearly a hundred years, resulting in a very mature, barren forest. Deer numbers are painfully low some years, but I kept going back because I love that country. Nothing beats spending a November day covering numerous miles here, rarely ever seeing another person. I just wanted some better deer numbers!
This year I joined 2 adjoining hunting clubs in the Cranberry Lake region. This is lower country, less mountains, more marshes. And it’s all timber land, the past 20 years it has been logged fairly heavy. Lots more deer, and plenty of really good bucks are taken from this area every year. One club is an established club, of 3500 acres. The other one is a brand new group this year. The 1500 acres have not been hunted for at least the past 15 years. Overall the whole area looks real promising. The fact that I’ll be one of the youngest in the club at 53 years old, is also promising! Most of the older guys go for a little “camp life” not so much hunting. That’s fine with me.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It's pretty much Wash. Rinse. Repeat for our camp. We really could use at least 2 more ground blinds, but we're finding it harder to find spots where you're not hunting the same deer or interfering with another blind. We're also running out of spots that don't guarantee you'll be schlepping the carcass out of a ravine.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by miguel
I’m changing things up quite a bit this year. For nearly the past 20 years I have hunted the same region of the Adirondacks, the High Peaks Wilderness Area. It is a huge chunk of public land that is cross crossed with numerous streams and rivers that surround mountains. The area hasn’t been logged for nearly a hundred years, resulting in a very mature, barren forest. Deer numbers are painfully low some years, but I kept going back because I love that country. Nothing beats spending a November day covering numerous miles here, rarely ever seeing another person. I just wanted some better deer numbers!
This year I joined 2 adjoining hunting clubs in the Cranberry Lake region. This is lower country, less mountains, more marshes. And it’s all timber land, the past 20 years it has been logged fairly heavy. Lots more deer, and plenty of really good bucks are taken from this area every year. One club is an established club, of 3500 acres. The other one is a brand new group this year. The 1500 acres have not been hunted for at least the past 15 years. Overall the whole area looks real promising. The fact that I’ll be one of the youngest in the club at 53 years old, is also promising! Most of the older guys go for a little “camp life” not so much hunting. That’s fine with me.

That sounds like a good deal! Good luck with it!

Semper Fi
IC B2

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by miguel

That sounds like a good deal! Good luck with it!

I can remember when I was 53. Barely

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
My plans are to shoot something using a low recoil pump rifle wearing a low power variable scope, while wearing a red or orange vest, with my hand loads and cup and core bullets...
I think I covered about 4 or 5 recent posts there.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm in the mix for a combo tag in Montana, and for a West River tag here in SD. I don't really have an exceptional whitetail, so might hold out for same. I guess I might get an East River tag as well now that I think about it. I passed on a real nice mule deer last year, kinda wish I hadn't done that. Having another tag in hand would have made the decision easier.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Well, my efforts to get a good lease closer to the house were unsuccessful. There was one club nearby that I also considered after the private ground fell through, but I declined. Seems like they are considering a 4-point per side rule which to me sounds like there aren’t many quality bucks around since they are trying to “improve” their bucks. The club I’m already in has varied habitat and some bruisers cruising around, but they’re hard to hunt in the timber where they hang out in daylight hours. Same program this year but no Colorado mule deer this season.

Good luck, all!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I'll be hunting for the 2nd year on a new lease. Its a 4500 acre Timber lease. Mostly planted pines with some oak heads some small low swamp areas. It's not world class deer hunting, but if you put in the time you'll kill a couple. Camp rules are, you can take 1 nice 6 pt Buck. Any other Bucks must be 7 pt or better. last year you could take 2 does. This year they lowered it to 1 doe. There are plenty of turkeys and pigs that are a bonus. Limit on Gobblers is 2. You can take pigs year round, no limit. Nice camp life atmosphere, There's a good group of folks there. No A Holes. That makes it nice. I have been on leases in the past where there was a lot of up all night drinking and some problems in camp. Not fun. If the cards line up properly for me, I might be able to go out to Texas for a week this year. we'll see.

Last edited by jc189; 04/15/23.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Trying to cash in a bunch of Antelope and Mule Deer points this year....fingers crossed. The areas I'm applying for didn't have as hard a winter as areas farther North. Applying for some some stuff in Southern Idaho as well. Can always hunt elk and deer close to home if the drawings don't work out.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
spend more time with young grandson hunting , shooting and teaching him outdoor skills .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
We got our lease three years ago and the first season the timber company came in and clear cut it. The only timber left on the place was hardwoods in the branch bottoms. After that, they replanted and it's filling in nicely. We take on average 8-10 deer off it every year and the odd hog or two that come and go off it.

We're going to keep improving the food plots and stands as needed. Typically, we fine tune the food plots and replace as needed older box blinds with newly built ones. With all the grand kids getting older and wanting to hunt, we're replacing single ladder stands with doubles.

Having a nice mix of box blinds and ladder stands really let's us tailor the days hunt to the weather and needs. I like a ladder, but was not able to climb one for two seasons because of illness. Last year I climbed a ladder for the first time on this lease and it was great.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ll be in the same 8 tracts/leases as last year which totals a little over 5,000 acres in Georgia. Can’t wait to get the cameras out in July. Lots to do before the season gets here.

You ain't about that life.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
We just got our lease in for Alabama. Been on that for 5/6 years. I will hunt there primarily but will hunt in Ohio with family for 5 days the week after Thanksgiving.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’m building tripod feeders for a friend, it’s a lot easier to fill them than climbing up. I have legs and the tripod piece ready

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 04/17/23.
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I’m going to the panhandle of Oklahoma this year, to hunt the Beaver River WMA. I’ve never been there before, I’ve mostly hunted in the SE part of the state, and I’m looking forward to the change of scenery.

“Only accurate rifles are interesting.”
-Townsend Whelen
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Lucked out and drew Montana deer combo with 1 point. Last year was 17% with 1 point. I'll take it! Struck out on NM elk.

Still have Montana draw for antelope in play but only have 2 points so only about 40% chance of a tag.

Rifle and bowhunt in MO. as usual.

Could hunt Illinois.....??

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
No big changes. I do want to blood a couple of new to me rifles. If I get a new knee, I will hunt more.

Last edited by LeonHitchcox; 04/22/23.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Since I didn't pull any of the NM tags I applied for, I'm thinking of doing a deer hunt on Anticosti Island in addition to 4 weeks in NY Catskills. Anybody have any recent experience and/or outfitter recommendations? Looking at going the first week in November.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

453 members (22kHornet, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 47 invisible), 1,809 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,002
Posts18,481,334
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.