Print Thread
Hop To
D
Dazzler Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I have a Henry x model in .357/.38. Finally got it to the woods with my new skinner sight. It’s shooting 5” high at 25yds. I guess my gun is on the losing 50% of guns skinner claims works with factory front sights.

Has anyone had luck with factory fronts on this model?

Options now are to throw down another $45 for a taller front sight, return product or ??? Looks like there is math involved for a possible filing down to the correct height as well.

Any suggestions? I was trying to keep it simple and scope free.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Get a taller front sight, this isn't rocket science. Skinner doesn't make the claim, Skinner only states what customers have reported. If I read 50% from customers, I would immediately know that it doesn't work with the front sight.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Agreed. I've never had a peep shoot with a factory height front sight... ever. It's just a working assumption anytime I throw a peep on a rifle, I'm going to be replacing the front sight as well.

I certainly wouldn't return the Skinner over it, swapping out a front sight isn't difficult.

D
Dazzler Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn
Get a taller front sight, this isn't rocket science. Skinner doesn't make the claim, Skinner only states what customers have reported. If I read 50% from customers, I would immediately know that it doesn't work with the front sight.

Is there that much variance in Henry manufacturing that it would be an unknown as to whether it would work? I know its not rocket science, but I'm kinda new at this. Was hoping there was a shim to raise the stock front or a lower profile base for the peep.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Dazzler

Is there that much variance in Henry manufacturing that it would be an unknown as to whether it would work? I know its not rocket science, but I'm kinda new at this. Was hoping there was a shim to raise the stock front or a lower profile base for the peep.

He only provides what customers say, and since many likely have your level of experience, the 50% doesn't mean much.

It's not manufacturing, they are sights for rifles that come in a variety of cartridges, shooting a wide range of bullets weights at a wide range of velocity.

IC B2

D
Dazzler Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by zcm82
Agreed. I've never had a peep shoot with a factory height front sight... ever. It's just a working assumption anytime I throw a peep on a rifle, I'm going to be replacing the front sight as well.

I certainly wouldn't return the Skinner over it, swapping out a front sight isn't difficult.

Roger. Appreciate the insight. The website makes it seem like a crapshoot on what factory front will work and which one will not. I guess I'll be shopping for a taller front now.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
How tall is your current front sight?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
5” at 25 yards is roughly 20MOA. Or 1/3 of a degree. Measure the distance from sight to sight.
You want to have a front sight that’s a little more than what 20MOA would calculate to be. Time to get your old trig book out. Say the distance is 20” (use actual distance)
Take the tangent of the 20MOA or 1/3 degree. Your answer to the increased height is “x”/20”. Or 20” x tan of 20MOA equals height increase.
Tangent of 1/3 of a degree is 0058. (20x.0058 = .116”)
The increased height required is .116” to get the shot on target with the skinner sight set at the lowest setting if the distance is 20”. You probably want the next higher sight, perhaps .12 to .125”
Higher than the one you have now, if my math is correct.

You will need to measure the distance between the sights to get a more accurate number.

Last edited by Bugger; 01/17/23.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Dazzler Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D

.460"

Last edited by Dazzler; 01/17/23. Reason: found my caliper
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yep, a .570'ish should do it.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

.460"

On Skinner's website, right below your 50%

"If we are asked, we will "suggest" our 1/2"x.650" front (and trim to exact height as needed) or our .570" tall Fiber Optic front sight. These are just suggestions. Please see our FAQ page for more information. It is our understanding that some of the Henry Big Boy Steel frame models have a .570" factory front sight.
For those rifles, if a taller sight is needed our .650" tall Patridge blade
would be our "suggestion".

D
Dazzler Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D

.460"

"If we are asked, we will "suggest" our 1/2"x.650" front (and trim to exact height as needed) or our .570" tall Fiber Optic front sight. These are just suggestions. Please see our FAQ page for more information. It is our understanding that some of the Henry Big Boy Steel frame models have a .570" factory front sight.

I picked “shoot it first” which was the wrong “suggestion” to follow.

Also just saw their lo pro sight for the first time and emailed about the fit for my rifle.

Last edited by Dazzler; 01/17/23.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

.460"

Also just saw their lo pro sight for the first time and emailed about the fit for my rifle.

I would have followed the above quote. Good luck.

D
Dazzler Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D

.460"

I would have followed the above quote. Good luck.
Thanks. One day I hope to not learn the hard way about such things.

D
Dazzler Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Update:
So I’ve done quite a bit of shooting with various loads and have got it down to a decent grouping. Also have enough data to work the math for the front sight.

Only thing is in all the shooting the groups are consistently left. All greater than 1 1/4” and none exceeding 2”. I can’t seem to figure out how to adjust the windage. There is a set screw, but it seems to exist for a dovetail which mine does not have. Front sight is a single screw. Skinner directions that came with only reference receivers with rear sight dovetail. Is the answer Kentucky windage or is there an adjustment I can’t figure out?

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Does it have a screw on each side holding it in place?
If so, loosen one, tighten the other.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 204guy, 1badf350, 65 invisible), 2,998 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,196
Posts18,503,582
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.