Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I did two chamber casts so far now, then I got side tracked. I did find the chamber cast, and the notes I made back when it was freshly done (Cerrosafe castings need to be measured one hour after popping out of the chamber), of the M1903A1 Service rifle so thank goodness I didn't have to do a third casting today. The throat in a 1930 National Match (Star Gauged barrel) mics at .309 with the rifling starting slightly closer to the end of the chamber neck than in the 1903A1 service rifle close to it in age, which also has a .309" throat. (Although the bores are bright and crisp and they shoot sweetly I can't swear to how heavily they've been used, obviously.) Strangely enough the throat in a 1929-vintage NRA Sporter (Star Gauge barrel also*) mics .3085" and the rifling leade is the same as the Service rifle.**

* Star Gauge doesn't make a barrel special in terms of construction. It merely means that it conforms within tolerances for the .30 Springfield barrels. During production, all barrels were gauged with the device and only those that met requirements perfectly were given the Star Gauge stamp of approval on the barrel crown. Legend has it that a healthy percentage of all barrels met the standards anyway.

** NRA Sporters were intended to be hunting rifles so maybe that explains it. Although, I've read where Sporters were popular as target rifles back then too. I don't know, I wasn't there. Ask Pappy348, I think he was there. grin

Last edited by gnoahhh; 01/22/23.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have two '06s; a Parker-Ballard 98 Mauser that I bought in 1974 and a 1952 vintage M70. Both group under 1" with 58gr H4350 and 165gr Hornadys. The P-B shot 1/2=3/4" consistently with 125gr Sierras and IMR4320 when it was my only rifle and I used it for groundhogs as well as deer. Both rifles wear 4x scopes. Not match grade accuracy, bit not too shabby, either.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I can't say about inherent accuracy, but I have a Rem 760 and a stainless Win. M70 FW in a Winlite stock that are very accurate with the same load.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Carlos Hathcock could have told us.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I can hit a moose at 100 yards consistently with my 30/06

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by trapperJ
I can hit a moose at 100 yards consistently with my 30/06

You're stronger than I am. Can't throw mine near that far.....

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Exactly...I often wonder where the lowly .270 would be today if the attention to detail lavished on the wunderkind had been applied to the old .270. When tales are spun over coffee, almost everyone has an anecdote of half minute groups with tailored hunting ammo out of a sporting weight .270 boltgun.

I have 3 270 rifles and all three are easily capable of 3 shot 3/4 inch or slightly smaller groups. The only reason I have three 270's is I can't decide which to sell.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by mathman
IMO the 308 is handicapped by the sloppy SAAMI throat specs, and mass manufacturers aren't going to use reamers which start out on the minimum side of that spec either.

https://saami.org/wp-content/upload...CFR-Approved-2015-12-14-Posting-Copy.pdf

See pdf page 122/375 for the drawing. The minimum diameter of the cylindrical section of the throat is two thousandths over bullet diameter.

On pdf page 51/375 you'll see the similar spec for the 6.5 Creedmoor is one half thousandth over bullet diameter.

That's the way I see it too. The throat on the 6.5 CM is completely different than the 308 and that's what I believe contributes to it's "inherent" accuracy. And the 30 TC too (page 94 on the PDF) has a similar throat design to the 6.5CM. Everybody and their brother hacks on it like it's the worst round ever created but the one gun I had chambered for it shot exceptionally well.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I often wonder where the lowly .270 would be today if the attention to detail lavished on the wunderkind had been applied to the old .270. When tales are spun over coffee, almost everyone has an anecdote of half minute groups with tailored hunting ammo out of a sporting weight .270 boltgun.

All cartridges from those era's suffered from the same thing. Less was known, manufacturing tolerances weren't as tight, bullets weren't as consistent, that's just the way it goes. If my 1950 Chevy was made in a 2023 Porche factory it would've run a lot better too laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I also want to thank others who have posted various opinions on this thread, because I'll be writing an article on this very subject for Rifle Loony News--about exactly why the .308 tends to be more accurate than theh .30-06. I checked my loading notes this afternoon, and have handloaded for 16 .308s and 23 .30-06s, which should be a pretty good sample--and have also talked to a bunch of industry people on this subject, which also provided a bunch of information over the years. There are also small but meaningful chamber differences between the two rounds.

I'm looking forward to it, John.

Did you happen to know German Salazar by any chance or recall his experiments with the .308 vs. .30-06? He shared some interesting information from what I recall until he got out of rifle shooting.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Originally Posted by Rickshaw
I read about the inherent accuracy of cartridges like the 6.5 CM. Where does the 06 rate in that category? Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm guessing a Tikka rifle will make it more inherently accurate...ha

I had a Tikka .30-06 that was more accurate than most .30-06s (though would not shoot the load I wanted at the time--180 Partitions with one of the 4350s) I sold it in 2009 as part of a gun sell-off to start my business. After money started coming back in, bought two more Tikkas in .30-06, neither of which matched the first.

I bought one rifle from you back around that time. It was a 30-06. A winchester model 70 Extreme Weather. It had a bedding issue from the factory, that you told me about. I glass bedded it and all was good. I later put it in a Mcmillan hunters compact stock and it shot the same:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That rifle balanced perfectly in that stock, but my pre 64 featherweight would out shoot it every time I took them to the range. I even started a thread on the subject. I sent the EW down the road, even though it was a moa shooter. I generally expect better out of even hunting rifles.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You can build customs all you want, but sometimes you'll get lucky with an old one like some of the ones I've posted. The picture here shows how my '56 FWT shoots, and I would not trade that for anything..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A good and valid point...putting "inherent accuracy" in quotes and questioning the definition. Just for hypothetical discussion, could we go to Joe's Pawn Shop and buy, for instance 10 .30-06 bolt sporters, 10 .308 bolt sporters, a large supply of Federal Gold Medal Match for each, test them under duplicate conditions? Measure the overall aggregate group size? When the data was gathered, could we say one is better than the other...more inherently accurate? I am biased to the .308 to win, although my favorite is still the 06. Perhaps it is time for Mathman to come in and slay my hypothetical inherency test. Or perhaps I should open another Pilsner.

No we couldn't. Not until they are all glass bedded properly. Then after that, we could do your test. I'd have all 10 of those rifles glass bedded in a day too. Want to put some money on that??? ha ha.. I wouldn't trust schidt until it has a proper foundation. Just sayin.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
I’d be curious to know from those who have had them how the Serengeti reamer does - as I believe from reading that in large part this was its raison dêtre.

I took delivery on a 30-06 Serengeti recently and will be working up some loads in about a month.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I wonder how well the Remington 40X sold in 30-06 caliber

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I also want to thank others who have posted various opinions on this thread, because I'll be writing an article on this very subject for Rifle Loony News--about exactly why the .308 tends to be more accurate than theh .30-06. I checked my loading notes this afternoon, and have handloaded for 16 .308s and 23 .30-06s, which should be a pretty good sample--and have also talked to a bunch of industry people on this subject, which also provided a bunch of information over the years. There are also small but meaningful chamber differences between the two rounds.

Did you happen to know German Salazar by any chance or recall his experiments with the .308 vs. .30-06? He shared some interesting information from what I recall until he got out of rifle shooting.

Like that schidt hasn't been written about 100 times before.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 4th_point

German definitely liked his 30-06 target rifle and shot it well to say the least. He did use a custom reamer to better suit target use. A friend of mine owns several of his rifles including that Remington and the reamer. Unfortunately German passed away last year. He was constantly experimenting and always enjoyed sharing his knowledge.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for sharing that about your friend, the rifles, and reamer. Very cool, Mike.

Too bad about German. He definitely shared a lot of information.

Last edited by 4th_point; 01/23/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 1903 Spfld built by Wundhammer that shoots under 1 moa even with my 74 year old eyes and peep sights.
And a Borden Rimrock 30-06 lightweight hunting rifle that is a quarter minute gun if I do my part.

Bottom line is the 30-06 remains a viable target cartridge

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks, my buddy is a lefty like German and an exceptional shooter (US Palma Team), so the rifles have the perfect home.

An interesting thing is that the 30-06 has a 1-13" twist barrel that was a set back and re-chambering of a used .308 Palma barrel given to German by another local shooter. It stabilizes some pretty heavy target bullets.

I first met German years ago when I just had to strike up a conversation with the guy a few benches over at the Ben Avery range who was bench testing some crazy looking target rifles (Eliseo tube guns) with strain gauges epoxied to the barrel shanks!

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I did two chamber casts so far now, then I got side tracked. I did find the chamber cast, and the notes I made back when it was freshly done (Cerrosafe castings need to be measured one hour after popping out of the chamber), of the M1903A1 Service rifle so thank goodness I didn't have to do a third casting today. The throat in a 1930 National Match (Star Gauged barrel) mics at .309 with the rifling starting slightly closer to the end of the chamber neck than in the 1903A1 service rifle close to it in age, which also has a .309" throat. (Although the bores are bright and crisp and they shoot sweetly I can't swear to how heavily they've been used, obviously.) Strangely enough the throat in a 1929-vintage NRA Sporter (Star Gauge barrel also*) mics .3085" and the rifling leade is the same as the Service rifle.**

* Star Gauge doesn't make a barrel special in terms of construction. It merely means that it conforms within tolerances for the .30 Springfield barrels. During production, all barrels were gauged with the device and only those that met requirements perfectly were given the Star Gauge stamp of approval on the barrel crown. Legend has it that a healthy percentage of all barrels met the standards anyway.

** NRA Sporters were intended to be hunting rifles so maybe that explains it. Although, I've read where Sporters were popular as target rifles back then too. I don't know, I wasn't there. Ask Pappy348, I think he was there. grin

I started out my competition days in 1964 shooting an 03 Springfield I bought at Montgomery Wards for $12. After I figured out what I was doing, I was shooting right along with M1 Garand shooters, and many times better.

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/23/23.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (160user, 22250rem, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 260Remguy, 60 invisible), 2,523 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,479
Posts18,490,020
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.