Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by kwg020
Just checked the Accuracy Systems site. Looks like my trigger group will be taking a trip…….
All 3 of mine have had the basic trigger job done. It makes for a nice 2 stage trigger pull of around 4 lbs give or take a few ounces.

kwg

That’ll work. Mine’s 6lbs, and not so nice.

Thanks.
My other 2 triggers were a bit gritty after the ASI work but it didn't take long and the gritty went away. The one that just came back is just a tad bit gritty but if it's like the other 2 that won't last long. I could of spent another $50 and maybe gotten another lb. off of the trigger weight and zero grit but based on my 2 previous triggers I didn't see the advantage of spending the extra money.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine went out today.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine went out today.
Let us know what you think when it comes back.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anyone interested in a mint 187 series from 1989 I got when working part time at an LGS back then? It's a SS Rancher with about 10 extra magazines, maybe more if I dig. It has these Ruger OEM mags: 2ea 5 round, 1ea 20 round, and 1ea 30 round and about 6-8 aftermarket 20 or 30 round mags. Also included is a synthetic Advance Technologies folding stock kit...never installed.

It's 223, stainless, wood stock and has std height and high SS rings.

Like my one AR, it has almost no rounds through it here in Fuddville. wink

I have nothing against either gun. I just enjoy shooting slower and more deliberately, and working bolts and levers. My old walnut stock 10/22 gets pulled out when I want to play and burn ammo faster. I'm cheap.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is it is signed by the A Team?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Anyone interested in a mint 187 series from 1989 I got when working part time at an LGS back then? It's a SS Rancher with about 10 extra magazines, maybe more if I dig. It has these Ruger OEM mags: 2ea 5 round, 1ea 20 round, and 1ea 30 round and about 6-8 aftermarket 20 or 30 round mags. Also included is a synthetic Advance Technologies folding stock kit...never installed.

It's 223, stainless, wood stock and has std height and high SS rings.

Like my one AR, it has almost no rounds through it here in Fuddville. wink

I have nothing against either gun. I just enjoy shooting slower and more deliberately, and working bolts and levers. My old walnut stock 10/22 gets pulled out when I want to play and burn ammo faster. I'm cheap.

I'll put a link to this post at Perfect Union. I already have 3 Mini's and a number of magazines.
kwg

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Just bought a new stainless Ranch Rifle. Hope its at least minute of wolf.

The older ones I've been around were barely minute of barn door...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by trapperJ
Just bought a new stainless Ranch Rifle. Hope its at least minute of wolf.

The older ones I've been around were barely minute of barn door...

I owned three of the older ones. Accuracy was just awful. Sold them 20 years ago and bought an AR. Never looked back.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I bought a 188 series Ranch Rifle back in the early nineties. A muzzle brake and a trigger job are the extent of any modifications. Mine shoots well, and has accounted for several hogs. Shoots best with regular M193. but does ok with the 64 grain Winchester SP handloads. Recently I added a period correct AimPoint red dot sight.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sam......

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by MOGC
Is it is signed by the A Team?

LOL

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thousands of high-power/service rifle shooters who use M1A rifles (dying breed now) figured out how to get the best accuracy from this type of stock/barreled action interface:

a) bed the receiver so it mates with the stock, like you'd do on your bolt action rifle. Most of these rifles are very sloppy at the back end.

b) consider bedding it so the barrel band (gas block on the Mini-14) exerts consistent upward pressure on the stock when you lock the trigger group in.

I've done this or had it done on a half dozen M1As. Unbedded M1As tend to shoot 3-4 MOA, just like a mini. But even with a skinny barrel, a bedded M1A is a 1.5 moa rifle. With a heavy barrel they're sub MOA.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I bought a 188 series Ranch Rifle back in the early nineties. A muzzle brake and a trigger job are the extent of any modifications. Mine shoots well, and has accounted for several hogs. Shoots best with regular M193. but does ok with the 64 grain Winchester SP handloads. Recently I added a period correct AimPoint red dot sight.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Hard to fathom that ball ammo would be more accurate than handholds. The projectiles just are not that consistent typically. IS what it is though.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I recently had a skinny barrel removed and one of the improved fatter barrels installed by Accuracy Systems on an early 580 series Mini. It's my 3rd Mini they have done for me. I have not had a chance to shoot it yet. I am not a fan of Ruger factory mini barrels. I hope it doesn't come back to bite me in the butt accuracy wise.

My favorite Mini is a 184 series that had the skinny .562 diameter barrel on it. I had Accuracy systems put on one of their .625 barrels. It looks a lot like a standard skinny barrel Mini but the .625" barrel is more accurate and it takes longer to heat up. It's the heat that really causes accuracy issues, especially with the skinny Ruger factory barrels.

I swapped out the wood stock for a gray laminated stock which added close to 1 lb to the total weight. I also clamped on a short rail to act as a heat sink in front of the gas block. For another $200 I can have Accuracy Systems pillar bed the rifle to the stock. I may do that at some point but it's not something that needs to be done anytime soon.

I have a heavy barrel Mini that shoots the best but it is just too heavy to pack around. I had them put a 21-inch, .820 diameter 1/8 twist barrel on with the intentions of making it a pig sniper. But, carrying it around just isn't any fun. In retrospect I don't know what I was thinking. I guess I didn't realize just how heavy it was going to be.
kwg

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

They did one for me years ago. It turned out to be a little heavier than I had planned for but it was a great shooter. They put an adjustable gas system on it that was a huge help when running a can. IMO, great company.
[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My trigger is already on its way home. Pretty impressive turnaround.

What fresh Hell is this?
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
It’s going to be interesting if the trigger job has a positive effect on the accuracy. I’ve also figured it the barrel harmonics. Ruger did make a model that you could adjust the harmonics. If I recall that was .223 only and not 5.56.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TC1
I recently had a skinny barrel removed and one of the improved fatter barrels installed by Accuracy Systems on an early 580 series Mini. It's my 3rd Mini they have done for me. I have not had a chance to shoot it yet. I am not a fan of Ruger factory mini barrels. I hope it doesn't come back to bite me in the butt accuracy wise.

My favorite Mini is a 184 series that had the skinny .562 diameter barrel on it. I had Accuracy systems put on one of their .625 barrels. It looks a lot like a standard skinny barrel Mini but the .625" barrel is more accurate and it takes longer to heat up. It's the heat that really causes accuracy issues, especially with the skinny Ruger factory barrels.

I swapped out the wood stock for a gray laminated stock which added close to 1 lb to the total weight. I also clamped on a short rail to act as a heat sink in front of the gas block. For another $200 I can have Accuracy Systems pillar bed the rifle to the stock. I may do that at some point but it's not something that needs to be done anytime soon.

I have a heavy barrel Mini that shoots the best but it is just too heavy to pack around. I had them put a 21-inch, .820 diameter 1/8 twist barrel on with the intentions of making it a pig sniper. But, carrying it around just isn't any fun. In retrospect I don't know what I was thinking. I guess I didn't realize just how heavy it was going to be.
kwg

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

They did one for me years ago. It turned out to be a little heavier than I had planned for but it was a great shooter. They put an adjustable gas system on it that was a huge help when running a can. IMO, great company.
[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

What diameter and how long is your barrel TC1 ?
kwg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by viking
It’s going to be interesting if the trigger job has a positive effect on the accuracy. I’ve also figured it the barrel harmonics. Ruger did make a model that you could adjust the harmonics. If I recall that was .223 only and not 5.56.

It certainly ought to make it easier to shoot well. They also make a lightweight strut system to support the barrel and one version has an adjustable gas port. Not sure I want to go down that rabbit hole as the accuracy is already “service grade” and up to what I want it for. My Howa Mini can handle the pinpoint stuff.

Ruger did make two models with a moveable weight on the muzzle; one with an oogly laminate stock and the other synthetic. You’re correct, those were .223s. The synthetic one was okay, but the laminate model was really heavy and really goofy-looking.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by viking

It certainly ought to make it easier to shoot well. They also make a lightweight strut system to support the barrel and one version has an adjustable gas port. Not sure I want to go down that rabbit hole as the accuracy is already “service grade” and up to what I want it for. My Howa Mini can handle the pinpoint stuff.

Ruger did make two models with a moveable weight on the muzzle; one with an oogly laminate stock and the other synthetic. You’re correct, those were .223s. The synthetic one was okay, but the laminate model was really heavy and really goofy-looking.

Glad you're going down the rabbit hole before me! I don't need a tack driver for my application for my new mini but a 6 inch average group will be a bummer.

I'll get the trigger done for sure and hopefully that will be good enough

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What diameter and how long is your barrel TC1 ?
kwg

The barrel is .750 and 20" long.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TX35W
Thousands of high-power/service rifle shooters who use M1A rifles (dying breed now) figured out how to get the best accuracy from this type of stock/barreled action interface:

a) bed the receiver so it mates with the stock, like you'd do on your bolt action rifle. Most of these rifles are very sloppy at the back end.

b) consider bedding it so the barrel band (gas block on the Mini-14) exerts consistent upward pressure on the stock when you lock the trigger group in.

I've done this or had it done on a half dozen M1As. Unbedded M1As tend to shoot 3-4 MOA, just like a mini. But even with a skinny barrel, a bedded M1A is a 1.5 moa rifle. With a heavy barrel they're sub MOA.
Different gas systems. The Mini uses a M1 Carbine gas system.

Politics is War by Other Means
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

335 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 16penny, 260Remguy, 51 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,686
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.