Print Thread
Hop To
#18019100 01/16/23
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Years ago I use skunk scent as a cover scent a lot. For some odd reason I haven't seen it on the shelf anywhere for a while. So I ordered some from Moccasin Joes, anyone have any experience with this brand?

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
For coyote hunting, as a cover scent? It's a waste of money.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Have had pretty good luck with it just open the bottle and set it down. Might sound crazy bit it seemed to attract coyotes at times.I could tell they noticed it and some came my way like they were investigating. Too bad for them. The brand I used back then might have been Tinks but not sure.

Dog I rescued in January

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Who the hell bothers with a bottle?....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you bother with a bottle, make it a glass one. My favorite skunk scent story was when I ordered a glass bottle of the stuff to use as a bow hunting cover scent back when I thought such foolishness was necessary. Since like one drop is all a person ever needed, I had a lifetime supply and my buddy wanted some, so I told him to bring over a bottle. We treated that stuff like nitroglycerin going into his plastic bottle and he put it in the back seat of his car for safe keeping. He forgot it over night, but the wife was not pleased when they got into the car the next morning for church. Turns out that a plastic bottle is a semi-permeable membrane when it comes to containing skunk scent.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to trap skunks before fox season started to keep them out of my fox sets. The really good ones went into snowmobile mits. The rest got chopped up hide and all for winter fox bait, hypodermic needle to remove scent to use on late winter sets. One of my most productive sets was to dig up a 3 foot circle and pile the dirt in a mound in the center with a skunk tail with just the tip of the tail sticking up out of the center of the mound. Then dig a dirt hole in either side of the mount. Baited with skunk meat or tainted mutton.

Ardel Grawes had a great call lure with a heavy dose of skunk.

Even with a set with skunk call lure, dosed with fox/coyote pee and baited with skunk meat even a slightly tainted trap would get dug up. You can't fool there nose.

I tried cover scents, mostly earth and forest.scents and gave that up real quick...the wind is the best way to keep your scent away from predators

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by erich
I used to trap skunks before fox season started to keep them out of my fox sets. The really good ones went into snowmobile mits. The rest got chopped up hide and all for winter fox bait, hypodermic needle to remove scent to use on late winter sets. One of my most productive sets was to dig up a 3 foot circle and pile the dirt in a mound in the center with a skunk tail with just the tip of the tail sticking up out of the center of the mound. Then dig a dirt hole in either side of the mount. Baited with skunk meat or tainted mutton.

Even with a set with skunk call lure, dosed with fox/coyote pee and baited with skunk meat even a slightly tainted trap would get dug up. You can't fool there nose.

I tried cover scents, mostly earth and forest.scents and gave that up real quick...the wind is the best way to keep your scent away from predators

True but sadly the wind is not always blowing the way I want it to.

Dog I rescued in January

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Who the hell bothers with a bottle?....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

So I run the risk of that guy showing up when I open the bottle! Pew!

Dog I rescued in January

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by erich

True but sadly the wind is not always blowing the way I want it to.

Cover scent isn't going to change anything in that situation.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree the coyote is just going smell a hunter that stinks like a skunk. That’s if the wind isn’t right.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

488 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 21, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,017
Posts18,500,379
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.