Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 32 1 2 3 4 31 32
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Too much in religion is all about what to do, when it should be all about how to think.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by BC30cal
but it's tougher for me to rein in the noncharitable thoughts I have towards many of my fellow humans.

Dwayne

With the exception of maybe a handful or Trappist Monks, I think that's true of everyone.

Sometimes I think the Messiah put that whole, "love your enemy" requirement in there just so people would develop an understanding of how difficult, if not impossible it is to conduct yourself as a "perfect" human being.

I also believe that there's a form of connectivity between everyone that people aren't aware of. It's too much to truly understand, so the Messiah didn't attempt to explain it. He just gave instructions to be decent to each other so that our behavior doesn't damage that fabric that all of humanity makes up,......maybe?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I didn't read the OP's post as being about church.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
APDDSN0864;
Top of the morning to you Ed, it's been much too long since I've said hello to you. I trust all is as well as can be what with all the strange days we're finding ourselves in.

I believe you might know I have a few members of my immediate family who are ordained ministers or have been involved in overseas missions, so I was at least able to observe the plusses and minuses first - second?? - hand.

IF church is done right, I believe that it should have a greater impact on the community around it than it might could do as individuals.

I've been involved with churches which in my opinion did that and some which didn't seem to.

We're told not to stop meeting with our fellow believers as well, so I'd say that's likely a good goal as well, should we decide to opt out of formal church attendance.

None of this should be taken that I've got any of this figured out Ed, it's merely where I'm at in the journey and nothing more.

All the best to you all this year.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
When a person is down, and out, do they go to a bar for help?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by wabigoon
When a person is down, and out, do they go to a bar for help?

Hookers and blow.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bristoe;
Morning to you sir, I trust your section of Kentucky is having a decent winter and you're all well.

Thanks for your thoughts, I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

As I say, I'm really, REALLY poor at understanding other humans, but I do believe I'm called to make an effort to be a better person/servant today than I was yesterday. I like the way you put it - to be decent to each other.

Whether I am inclined towards making an effort to do that or not is another matter entirely isn't it? wink

Thanks again and all the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Can only speak for myself,

I was raised Baptist, not the southern fun kind, the northern, no-denominational, if you're having fun, you're sinning kind. Basically, the Christian Taliban.

Upon much reflection over the years, I just can't get over the nepotism, hypocrisy and fear mongering that went on. My mother once commented about a particular pastor that "when he gets to heaven, he sure is going to be surprised at how many people are there."

To keep this short, I'll say that I've lost my religion. I have no faith in man but have not lost my faith in God.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Christianity worldwide is growing.
https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/cwn/20...heists-charismatic-churches-lead-the-way

That it is declining in meriKa can be attributed to
1: like all “great” nations, we turned our back on GOD and are just the next Babylon

2: people realized that organized religion is NOT the church. The church is within us.

3: most love the dark. We love sin.

To those that want GOD out of the nation, you’re going to get what you want, we’ll see if you want what you get.

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BC30cal
APDDSN0864;
Top of the morning to you Ed, it's been much too long since I've said hello to you. I trust all is as well as can be what with all the strange days we're finding ourselves in.

I believe you might know I have a few members of my immediate family who are ordained ministers or have been involved in overseas missions, so I was at least able to observe the plusses and minuses first - second?? - hand.

IF church is done right, I believe that it should have a greater impact on the community around it than it might could do as individuals.

I've been involved with churches which in my opinion did that and some which didn't seem to.

We're told not to stop meeting with our fellow believers as well, so I'd say that's likely a good goal as well, should we decide to opt out of formal church attendance.

None of this should be taken that I've got any of this figured out Ed, it's merely where I'm at in the journey and nothing more.

All the best to you all this year.

Dwayne

Dwayne,

Good day to you, sir! It's always a pleasure to read your posts and get your perspective. This "communication" medium is fairly good at passing on information, but it leaves a lot to be desired!

Too many people see Christianity and believe it to mean the same thing as "religion" and/or "church". They can contain elements of each other, but they carry their own separate meanings and it does make a difference!

My points, and problems, are with religion, not the "church". I will agree, there are many churches and churchgoers who walk the talk as it is intended. We are, indeed to NOT forsake the gathering of believers. We are the "ekklesia" aka "The Body of Christ" and as such are called to be a blessing to others through fellowship. Included in that "others" are believers and non-believers.

We endanger our own relationship with our Creator when we engage in "religion" for then it becomes all about us and our righteousness. We are called on to focus on our own relationship with God through Christ, not submit to "legalism".

I'm with you, Dwayne, it's a journey! For me, it just keep getting better and better!

Take care and let's stay in touch!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JeffP

1: like all “great” nations, we turned our back on GOD and are just the next Babylon

2: people realized that organized religion is NOT the church. The church is within us.

To those that want GOD out of the nation, you’re going to get what you want, we’ll see if you want what you get.

We had Bishop Tudor Bismarck at our church this year. He made it clear that Christianity is growing in his homeland of Africa, because it is all the people have.
People in that land are praying for miracles to cure a headache because there is no Rite-aid or CVS to run to and grab some Tylenol.
People in America are mainly complaining that the french fries at McDonald's are not ready in time.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
2 Timothy 3:1-5 ESV
But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power.
This.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
It is true that there is a lot of hypocrisy in the professing church as well as a lot of false shepherds that are fleecing the sheep which turns a lot of people off, but I believe people simply refuse to abide by the word of God because it constrains them from doing as they please. They feel that God's word is too strict and narrow so they chose to go the way of the world , the broad way which ultimately leads to destruction. I can understand being turned off by all the hypocrisy found in the professing church today but instead of judging Christianity by Scripturally inconsistent people, judge the people by the consistent word of God. People change, visible churches change but God never changes and neither will His word. At the judgment people will not be judged by other people or by ever changing human and worldly standard, but by eternal God and His unchanging word.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
As far as the leadership of churches being horrible, I can only agree.

But it's like being American. Joe Biden is arguably our worst president ever. But I'm still as American as ever.

Politics is War by Other Means
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Simplepeddler

We had Bishop Tudor Bismarck at our church this year. He made it clear that Christianity is growing in his homeland of Africa, because it is all the people have.
People in that land are praying for miracles to cure a headache because there is no Rite-aid or CVS to run to and grab some Tylenol.
People in America are mainly complaining that the french fries at McDonald's are not ready in time.

GOD isn’t the genie in a bottle.....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Christianity is becoming more and more associated with politics and allot of people don't like it.

2 Kings 2:23-24
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by BubbaG
Christianity is becoming more and more associated with politics and allot of people don't like it.

“We hold these truths to be self evident “....

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
GOD isn’t the genie in a bottle.....

Absolutely correct!

However...We have covenants with God and those covenants include healing.
The folks in Africa understand what a covenant is and what it means. Most in this country and most of Europe have lost the concept of covenants and therefore lose out on the benefits of them.

Add in the faith and belief that we are called to exercise in with the promises of the covenants and you get blessed with healing. It really is as simple as that.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BubbaG

If Christians do not get involved in politics, do you think we even have any chance of making a difference, or are we just supposed to sit back, suck our thumbs and cry a lot?

This nation was founded on Judeo-Christian beliefs and it is those same beliefs that have been neglected and diminished, leading us to where we are now. We need to get involved at even the lowest levels of politics and start making changes.

Again...do NOT mistake religion with relationships with God! A Theocracy, which is government based on religion, is just another form of tyranny. It is the principles of Christianity that we must uphold.

Ed

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by antlers
Why do you men think people are leaving it nowadays…? What are some of the reasons that you men think people simply don’t believe it anymore, or no longer find it attractive…?

I see more and more folks who are Christians leaving religion, not their individual relationships with God. There is a huge difference.

Even Jesus decried religion and He was a Jewish Theologian!

As is continually pointed out (and rightly so) by the atheists and agnostics here, religion has caused more human suffering and death than even Communism, and that's saying a lot!

Having a personal relationship with God, minus the religious laws, is the way God intended it to be. It's all right there in the Bible, which has been twisted for centuries by those who would obtain and maintain power and control.

Ed

I think you're on it, Ed.

You can hand human beings the most perfectly configured institutions, such as our Constitution or the Gospel, and in short order they will corrupt it, pervert it, or mutilate it in some way. Subtly, at first, so as to fabricate an advantage or power over others, and then full force and without a care that others see through their facade.

There is nothing wrong with Christianity. There is great misunderstanding of what it essentially is. When you see Olsteen on the tube you're not seeing Christianity, you're seeing unbridled avarice...antichristianity.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Page 2 of 32 1 2 3 4 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 62 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,492
Posts18,509,073
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.