Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 23 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 22 23
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I sold a business in 2021. Y'all would weep at the taxes I paid for that transaction.

Probably about the same as we cry after buying the Pentagon two HellFire Missiles each year.

šŸ¦«

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
ā€œMolon Labeā€
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Good afternoon Sam, as everybody knows, I'm a semi-retired farmer. I never know how much I/we are going to make.
Sure you do.

Ever do YOY averages?

I wouldnā€™t be surprised if Wabi turned out to be another RoundOak. But, I think a few members have met him in the flesh.

Thatā€™s something RoundOak couldnā€™t do.

šŸ¦«

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
ā€œMolon Labeā€
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kinda like asking how many acres and cows you have, right Sam?

I grossed $60K last year, used to make a bunch more but I get a pension, 4 weeks vacation, 11 holidays, 3 weeks sick leave and can I walk to work.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I quit working the week obuma was elected in 2008.

I think I get $2k/month social security and the wife gets $3k/mo.
Olin aerospace sends me $85/mo.....cheapskates

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Iwe get by ..owe nothing other than power phone and fuel ... I did take OFF for a year plus back in in o6/o7 , cut fire wood for me and sold sum to ....I was hunting and fishing alot I took out so many grouse one week my kids were pizzed ..there wasn't going to be any for them to wack come the weekend !

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Iā€™m semi retired.

Or just underemployed.

šŸ˜‚

ā€œLife is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.ā€
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Youse guys would start a 'go fund me' for me if I had the balls to tell you what we live on.
If'n you folks get real hungry, I've got some taters in the well house I can send over.

I can tell these folks something you can relate to................It costs a whole lot more to live in this fudged up State than a good number of other places we've lived. Vehicle registration, fuel costs, TAXES, etc etc etc

Only good thing is Prop 13 and the restrictions it put on property taxes. They've figured out plenty of other ways to get it out of our wallets.

Sam,

of the top of my head figuring, no pencil or nothin, wife and I probably together bringing in $50k - $60k from our retirements, I don't keep track.. Low mortgage payment on the 7Acre RANCH! and it's only got another 5 years to pay on it. Both vehicles paid for, I posted our whopping $70 electric bill the other day, no nat gas or propane bill, heat is with wood at $170 or so per cord, usually 3 cords a year heating between Sept and June.

We ain't doing bad, wish we had a bit more so we could consider moving, but this place is cheap compared to about anything on the market, even in scheidthole towns. And we even manage to save a bit into a joint account for the house fund.

Glad you and the wife are getting along too.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Youse guys would start a 'go fund me' for me if I had the balls to tell you what we live on.

Haha! Oh, go on.

Its kinda liberating.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rooster7
At my old job, I was making $88,500 plus bonus (IF we got it. Depended on the year)

Myself and 49 others were let go in April of 2020 (covid hysteria) when corporate sharpened their pencils. 27 years of loyalty down the drain. I did get a nice severance package. That helped.

Now I work 6 rural miles from home at a job with 150% less stress, making just over $54k and happier than I have been in my adult life.

Money isn't everything.
Cock A Doodle Do!

Rooster, that means congratulations I think. At least that's what El Feo the rooster was trying to tell me when he was in the Gulag if I understood him correctly.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by high_country_
This was a good year for me. I had a unique situation where I was fired for calling out a bad confined space entry 4 years ago. I filed with special Councel and was awarded 4 years of backpay plus interest. My typical salary is 120k.....but this year was considerably better.

Turning wrenches in the biggest powerhouse in America....I am a blessed sob to be where I am.
Glad to hear that worked out for you!

In it is contentment

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Are you farming with the Ford Maverick still, Dutch?

Lol, you think I broke it in two months, eh? Not so far, 5K miles and I enjoy driving it. Itā€™s comfortable and zippy, but Iā€™d love to trade the back seat for a longer bed. Not enough room for much of anything with some length, and fuel economy while towing is abysmal. On the other hand, itā€™s been much better in the deep snow weā€™ve had than I thought it would be. The AWD is pretty flawless.
I think in your other post you forgot to mention all the "farm product" you can eat? wink

In it is contentment

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have never fooled myself about where I am at on the socio/economic scale...but this thread has been a pretty harsh reality check. Many men here pay way more tax than I have ever grossed in my life. But on the other hand, I live where people dream of coming for outdoor vacations, we eat way too well, no debt since 1990, decent reliable transportation, medical covered...I don't know what we would do with it if our income tripled.
A few years back I shared a story here of a truly good hearted woman who worked at the local grocery for 30 yrs that won a lottery ticket, I forget but it was darn near 3 mill. I ran into her before Christmas at the PO, all is well, but of all things, she talked like she and her husband were still a bit bewildered about how to enjoy the money. They paid all their blood family's debts and mortgages, they are not big travelers, and they have a very nice house is about all. So all the stories of disaster when folks get windfall money are not true in every case.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by JGray
Low - 6 figures before 99.99% retirement last October. Transportation engineer - private sector/consulting. My company gave me a $10/hr increase to be available on-call a couple hours a week over the next year which is essentially paying our medical insurance.

Word on the street is I could have doubled my income by leaving Montana to live in some chithole big City. Likely a good career move but huge quality of life trade-off. I'd rather flip burgers here than be miserable chasing $ in my field.

Yeah....but Helena??

Lol - good point! I'm no longer tied to Helena job-wise but with kids and grandkids here, it'd be hard to move too far away (we have discussed the idea). I'm sitting in a motel in Shelby at the moment and will be ice fishing on Tiber tomorrow. I spent most of hunting season around Choteau. This part of the state could start to grow on me, but it's too fuggin windy!

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Been a commercial fisherman for 40+ years, so no retirement pension. I make less than a $100k including SS. We live redneck and don't owe anyone anything. But I look at the news and realize we're rich. Our kids haven't been in jail and are normal, one's a teacher, one's a radiologist and the other has taken over the commercial fishing operation. Work hard, stay out of trouble and don't get divorced, even a dummy can do good in the US of A.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dollar fity cent worth of cocain...

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been retired since mid 40ā€™s. Did good on a few things along the way and now just play the rental game. I volunteer a lot in my community now which is cool.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Are you farming with the Ford Maverick still, Dutch?

Lol, you think I broke it in two months, eh? Not so far, 5K miles and I enjoy driving it. Itā€™s comfortable and zippy, but Iā€™d love to trade the back seat for a longer bed. Not enough room for much of anything with some length, and fuel economy while towing is abysmal. On the other hand, itā€™s been much better in the deep snow weā€™ve had than I thought it would be. The AWD is pretty flawless.
I think in your other post you forgot to mention all the "farm product" you can eat? wink

Itā€™s hard to admit publicly to being reduced to eating fish three or four times a weekā€¦.. wink.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Good afternoon Sam, as everybody knows, I'm a semi-retired farmer. I never know how much I/we are going to make.
Sure you do.

Ever do YOY averages?

I wouldnā€™t be surprised if Wabi turned out to be another RoundOak. But, I think a few members have met him in the flesh.

Thatā€™s something RoundOak couldnā€™t do.

šŸ¦«

There are many ROundoaks on this board. I am quite sure Wabbi is not one of them. Stop and think if Roundoak got away for 10,000 posts , and 10 yrs of bs before he was really caught , how many here are full of BS when they post their wages. I have so many times caught guys here posting picks of their wives , smoking hot ,, just to remember a pick of their wife 5 yrs ago , and the other woman was nothing like the smoking hot one. How many times have we all heard they dated smoking hot babes,, ,, but dumped them cause they were nuts??? Truth, you got dumped!! How many guys here go on the girly page and post " I would tap her in a heartbeat, " when that woman would snub them faster than they can slap a tick. LOTS of BS , not just here but on some other boards. How ROundoak got away with it, I am not sure. His bucks were plausible if he really did live in Grant co. Wis. Bucks are huge there. Had me fooled. Only one time did I think he was BSing, when he shot a REAL dandy in Dickinson co. Upper Mich. They just dont grow them that big in that sand country up there. As for me, I posted I make about $55,000 a yr. I'm self employed carpenter. I cant imagine making what many say they make here. I am likely avr. american wage. My wife makes less than me . Because of my low wages I am very frugal , cause my last day of work is one accident away. I drive 09 Impala I bought for $9700 with tax 14 months ago , 44,700 miles on it. The Truck is an 06 GMC diesel, 301,000 on it. Boat is 32 yrs old and bought it new for $2,400 for new boat , older 25 horse Merc. and trailer. I hunt just a few miles from home 95% of the time on public . I have a cabin up north on 7 ac. on the Flambeau River in NW WIs . My dad gave me 7 ac. in central wi. on a river too. We have had some inheritance that is invested. $450K? house is payed 13 yrs ago. Kids dont need me for anything. They make more than me too. It is amazing how I have to be frugal to get to $1,000,000 in a retirement account just to get $30,000 in divies and the retirement plan keeps me poor. In all honesty, I feel left out when all the relatives run off to Arizona, , California, Ireland , and wife went to Egypt to visit out daughter. I stay home . I do hunt deer a lot cause its 5 miles away. I fish close by too. Many may say I'm whining. I'm not, strangely enough, I am quite happy. I tithe 10% to my local church, pay bills and still save 30% of my gross. However, I am eyeing up a Starcraft Freedom180T / 90 horse Yammi for $30,000 after tax. ... I am sure , I could always sell it for what I payed for it so I consider it part of my portfolio, snicker.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
If anyone wants to talk, send me a personal message, and I'll give you my number.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
As much as I want...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Page 9 of 23 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

495 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1OntarioJim, 49 invisible), 1,600 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,991
Posts18,520,194
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.