Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Well, I decided to put together a long stock to fit me, on the RU77 tanger i'd modified for my wife. I have several take-off stocks on hand - so I picked the worst one, gouged out all the oiled wood and back filled with epoxy bedding.

It ain't pretty, but I don't GAS. It's a handle on a hunting rifle. I'd rather confident productive than ,,,,maybe, and pretty. smile

Don't overthink it..

Last edited by las; 01/24/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Doesn't anyone use Whiting anymore?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My response above includes whiting.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Sitka - I'm assuming you soak in acetone?
Or am I misunderstanding?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have done the acetone soak a couple if times and it worked very well for me. Left them soak for a couple of days then out in the sun to dry.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I tried the oven cleaner trick once, on a particularly greasy Garand stock. It sure did the job, but ever after it had a kind of chalky appearance in spite of thorough but judicious sanding and multiple applications of linseed oil and waxing. That soured me on oven cleaner. I bought an M2 Springfield at a show a couple years ago that obviously was treated the same way once upon a time. I can live with it because I got it for about $500 under market value.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Sitka - I'm assuming you soak in acetone?
Or am I misunderstanding?
Yes, acetone

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A good washing with hot soapy water and a bristle brush does an awful lot of good when trying to clean things up. Acetone (and any other solvent) simply dissolve the oils and some comes out.

If you ever have a chance with an oil-soaked useless stock try getting the oil out for a while and then cut it off slice by slice to see how far the oils went when driven by the acetone. It might surprise you. And months later you can still smell acetone.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
A good washing with hot soapy water and a bristle brush does an awful lot of good when trying to clean things up. Acetone (and any other solvent) simply dissolve the oils and some comes out.

If you ever have a chance with an oil-soaked useless stock try getting the oil out for a while and then cut it off slice by slice to see how far the oils went when driven by the acetone. It might surprise you. And months later you can still smell acetone.

Usually about an 1/8" is all I got out.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Usually about an 1/8" is all I got out.
Yup! About right.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks, y'all. UPDATE: this stock also needed to be bedded/floated before I started refinishing it. So before hitting it again with chemicals, I decided I would float it and see how deep the oil went. Luckily, 98% of the remaining stain went bye bye when I opened up the channel. Not sure -- and will probably never know -- if the acetone brought it up to the surface or if it just wasn't that deep in the first place. But based on the darkness of the stain, I was genuinely surprised it was deeper.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
There is a product called Super Railroad that will get it out

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I might try trisodium phosphate--real TSP--with hot water.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (358wsm, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 14 invisible), 1,535 guests, and 896 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,920
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.