Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by pete53
i have owned i 6PPC and yes it shot excellent and i should have kept that rifle , now i have 6 BR`s , 222 and 22 BR , i even have a 22 mag 40x custom , but i got question . > yes the 6PPC wins plenty at 100-200 yards but after that the 6 BR does much better at 600 yards and 1000 yards why ?

PPC's don't have quite enough umph to push the heavy high BC bullets fast enough for long range

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This thread has included some interesting posts and a few gems of insight/info.

When first noting the thread title, a wry smile popped up along with a dose of caution. If "inherent" in this thread carries the most common meaning for the term: " an essential constituent or characteristic", how could any cartridge, in and of itself, meet such a criterion?
Probably why, in addition to the 30:06, so many others were touted. So, which are actually inherently accurate.

Still wearing a wry smile.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They maybe accurate but there is no such thing as inherently accurate.

Man and man's best friend still looking at the green side of sod.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by brydan
i have owned i 6PPC and yes it shot excellent and i should have kept that rifle , now i have 6 BR`s , 222 and 22 BR , i even have a 22 mag 40x custom , but i got question . > yes the 6PPC wins plenty at 100-200 yards but after that the 6 BR does much better at 600 yards and 1000 yards why ?

PPC's don't have quite enough umph to push the heavy high BC bullets fast enough for long range

i do question that some yet there are a lot of cartridges with more umph that a 6 BR . so shouldn`t a 6 PPC at least do well at 600 yards ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M

Or, usually, the rifling twist.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
ok that i can believe that about rifle twist , so no one tries a 6 PPC at 600 yards with a different barrel twist ? or is also that fire forming Lapua 220 Russian case to make a 6 PPC is a pain too ?

Last edited by pete53; 01/24/23.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by scratcherky
They maybe accurate but there is no such thing as inherently accurate.

Hmm. Please let us know how you would define "inherently."

I have asked a lot of pressure-lab ballisticians whether "inherently" accurate rifle cartridges exist, in powder, bullet and ammunition factories, where everything's shot on indoor ranges. Have been doing this for over 25 years, and so far their answer has always been "yes"--followed by examples.

Would love to hear why you don't believe they're wrong.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have friends that test ammo all day long for their jobs in a indoor 100 yard tunnel and they say and use the term inherently more accurate when i ask them questions on cartridges they test.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Still nothing specific, just other people say so without going into details about chambers, reamers, types of bullets, etc.

Hmmm

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
What's accuracy?

I bought a 760 because it was $150.
A 30-06.

A gun I disliked, a round I had no use for.

I like 308 and 300WM.

Looking around, I found a partial box of 180gr Pro Hunters.
Looked at the Lee Dipper set and manuals.
H4831 lined up as a choice from the shelf.

Mounted a 3x9x50 Tasco. (The effort involved is embarrassing)

And the M)*^$#@$^*!!!&%#×$%;!!!! shoots just under an inch, 3 shot groups.
Only a few, this rig is not much loved.
The Tasco left its elevation turret loose one year when it needed adjusted, now
there is a vari x 3x9 on it.

Still don't live 760s.
Respect them though.

Do kinda want a gun I like in 30-06.

Better send that old 760 to a good home! Let someone appreciate that old 06 grin

Can't it's previous owner was a friend.
Gotta bunch of them. That one was Joe's.

It hunts on occasion.
Another frustrating habit is it never loses zero enough to matter for most of our
hunting. I check. Only time I remember needing to adjust was when the turret screwed
out of the Tasco.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by drop_point
Can you link to where aggregates were demonstrably lower across the board with those shooting 22 PPC or 6 PPC during the same time period when the switch happened? Or was it a case of "follow the leader"? I've looked fairly deeply into this subject and cannot find anything to support any real difference. From what I've read, people made the switches looking for easier shooting in the wind.

If the .222 were more accurate Short Range BR guys would still be using it. It is always follow the leader. Nobody follows the looser. Same as in every other sport, otherwise people would be still racing formula 1 cars with carburators and bias ply tires. One day maybe the 6PPC will be usurped like the 222 when someone stumbles on another case design that for whatever reason proves to win more in that discipline. There have been thousands of case designes used in short range BR, so far the 6ppc is king.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bushrat
Originally Posted by drop_point
Can you link to where aggregates were demonstrably lower across the board with those shooting 22 PPC or 6 PPC during the same time period when the switch happened? Or was it a case of "follow the leader"? I've looked fairly deeply into this subject and cannot find anything to support any real difference. From what I've read, people made the switches looking for easier shooting in the wind.

If the .222 were more accurate Short Range BR guys would still be using it. It is always follow the leader. Nobody follows the looser. Same as in every other sport, otherwise people would be still racing cars with carburators and bias ply tires. One day maybe the 6PPC will be usurped like the 222 was when someone stumbles on another case design that for whatever reason proves to win more. There have been thousands of case designes used in BR, so far the 6ppc is the king.

Care to share the statistics for this? How much better did the 6mm PPC agg out the gate? Any idea of how much improvement the top shooters improved from the switch?

Right now 6.5 PRC wildcats necked to 7mm are gaining steam in F-Open. How much of that has to do with Alex Wheeler toting the merits and YouTube personalities promoting it or are scores demonstrably better?

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Why not just go out and show how it's done then with a 222?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Seems to me, considering what happens inside a case when the powder ignites, that the shape of the combustion chamber, it's size, etc. could definitely be optimized for consistency. Given that we need these things to chamber and extract, we can't fool with spherical cases or inverted cone shapes or multiple primers, but the short, fat case design providing more consistent combustion and expansion and therefore accuracy makes sense to me. I'm curious if the steep shoulder thing helps with consistent combustion or more precise headspacing?

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman
Why not just go out and show how it's done then with a 222?

It doesn’t have to be a .222 Rem. You can make damn near any cartridge work with good tuning, a good chamber, and good components. You can give the best shooters anything within reason and they will still manage to win. At the end of the day, you cannot provide any empirical evidence one way or the other.

There is more to cartridge selection than “inherent accuracy”.

Last edited by drop_point; 01/24/23.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by 1eyedmule
Seems to me, considering what happens inside a case when the powder ignites, that the shape of the combustion chamber, it's size, etc. could definitely be optimized for consistency. Given that we need these things to chamber and extract, we can't fool with spherical cases or inverted cone shapes or multiple primers, but the short, fat case design providing more consistent combustion and expansion and therefore accuracy makes sense to me. I'm curious if the steep shoulder thing helps with consistent combustion or more precise headspacing?

It may help with both--but 30 degrees isn't a really "steep" shoulder. Several factory rifle rounds have shoulder angles of more than 30.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
i do question that some yet there are a lot of cartridges with more umph that a 6 BR . so shouldn`t a 6 PPC at least do well at 600 yards ?

People have tried it, it didn't work as well as other cartridges. I don't know what else to tell ya. Build one and go compete with it if you're convinced it's better laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

People have tried it, it didn't work as well as other cartridges. I don't know what else to tell ya. Build one and go compete with it if you're convinced it's better laugh

Then we have to consider fatigue on the shooter. Many don’t shoot magnums because a weekend of recoil is taxing despite the ability to “cheat” the wind before the fatigue sets in.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If they didn't shoot well, we wouldn't be talking about them 117 years later.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Inherent accuracy is an ethereal confluence of heavenly elements that cannot be explained. It is incorruptible. It is spiritual. It is pursued by those of unshakable faith and limitless devotion. The result will be a oneness that no one can attain in this life.

- Stephen Redgwell, 1984

It is funny when people quote themselves, even Canadians.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

309 members (1lesfox, 1936M71, 257 mag, 160user, 2500HD, 21, 26 invisible), 12,536 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,232
Posts18,544,173
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.