Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I’m only recently looking into the 380 as a defensive round. I usually carry in a front pocket. Last month I picked up a Ruger LCP. The verdict; probably the best at what it does, effortless pocket carry/backup carry but…. poor sights, awful trigger and almost too small to shoot consistently.

So I picked up the LCP Max…

Almost double the rounds, much better sights (tritium front sight), fatter slightly longer grip, much better trigger. A pocket gun you can actually aim and shoot while offering a more secure and consistent grip. Slide locks back on empty. Rides easily in most any pocket. For me a 15 yard gun, maybe a 25 with practice.

Downsides: The triggers has a short reset and breaks clean but the trigger pull on mine is heavy, maybe 10-12 lbs, maybe not a bad thing in a pocket gun but heavy enough to detract in aimed fire.

The slide fits loosely on the slide rails, you can rattle it, looser than any semiauto I recall. I dunno what effect this has on accuracy.

150 rounds of Winchester and Remington 95 grain FMJ downrange, one failure to go fully into battery but that was one-hand shooting with the weak hand.

The last thing is no reflection on the pistol; I need glasses anymore to pick up even pistol sights clearly at arm’s length. For me this is a fifteen yard gun.

This group at eight yards.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have one ordered. Waiting for it to come in.

My first.380

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
How is the recoil on the LCP Max?

A lot of the 380’s have nasty recoil.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
How is the recoil on the LCP Max?

A lot of the 380’s have nasty recoil.

Manageable recoil, recovery is fast.

150 rounds no problem. Much better than the LCP which was snappy.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I load 100 grain bullets over 5 grains of AA #5 for mine,...which is a maximum load per several manuals. It's just a bit warmer than most typical commercial loads that I've shot.

The LCP Max doesn't hurt my hand, but it's rough on the trigger finger.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The LCP Max is a pretty tough to beat pocket pistol. I find it considerably better than the original LCP. Grip is a big improvement for my hands, and I love the sights. Trigger is serviceable, that’s about all I can say…it will get the job done. I hit much easier with this. My one complaint is ejecting live rounds, they frequently hang up on the ejection port (not all rounds, but many). I’m using only the extended magazines because even with the extended magazine the gun pocket carries just fine. In fact, it seems to fit my pocket better with the longer mag, keeps it from twisting in my pocket.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
got 1 in my pocket right now. 300+ rounds through it. No hiccups at all with a mixed bag of ammo (various hollows and fmj).

I shoot low with mine and recoil is not a factor at all.

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I tried one and got rid of it. I loved the sights, the size, the light weight, and the way it fit in a pocket. But, I would get some trigger pinch that started a blister on my trigger finger after about 2 magazines. I couldn’t get used to the trigger. I couldn’t shoot it as fast as my Glock 42, and my accuracy sucked. I am happy for all of you that can manage to get accuracy and rapid fire out of it. Y’all are better than me.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I tried one and got rid of it. I loved the sights, the size, the light weight, and the way it fit in a pocket. But, I would get some trigger pinch that started a blister on my trigger finger after about 2 magazines. I couldn’t get used to the trigger. I couldn’t shoot it as fast as my Glock 42, and my accuracy sucked. I am happy for all of you that can manage to get accuracy and rapid fire out of it. Y’all are better than me.
Not every gun fits every person, that's why we have so many to choose from.

I have been avoiding the Sig 365 because every one I shoot, I inadvertently drop the magazine. Something about that grip makes me bump the mag catch. Now I could re-train myself, but there are other pistols that do the same job, so I'll just try them out.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Y'all have me excited to get mine.

I need to call that shop today and see what's up he thought he'd have it Friday.
-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After going through the original Kel-Tec P3AT and the original LCP, the LCP Max is much more shootable and only marginally larger. There is a Max and a spare 12rnd magazine on me nearly every day in a pocket holster. I often wear it ankle carry also when carrying a larger handgun on my belt. Barely know it is there.

I view these little guns as "Get away from me OR let me get away from this unexpected situation" guns, not offensive weapons. What troublemaker wants to dodge 10 or 12 rounds of .380JHP and stick around for a second dose?

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I load 100 grain bullets over 5 grains of AA #5 for mine,...which is a maximum load per several manuals. It's just a bit warmer than most typical commercial loads that I've shot.

I recall you saying you had inadvertently fired some 40,000psi loads through your LCP Max and it shot loose.

If it’s anything like mine, it was prob’ly pretty loose when you bought it. I can rattle mine on the slide rails.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
What kind of pocket holsters are you LCP Max guys using?

Recommendations?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use a DeSantis Nemesis. Fairly inexpensive pocket holster that I was using for the LCP and it also fits the Max.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Recommendations?

Ruger gives you one in the box.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by K1500

Recommendations?

Ruger gives you one in the box.

Indeed, I have two, identical in both the original LCP and the Max. The soft fabric quickly loosens up on the one hand, failing to position the pistol and sometimes comes out of the pocket still with the pistol on the other

I have a Remora for my j-frame I really like; rigid enough to hold its shape/ obscure the gun but rough on the outside so as to stay in the pocket when the gun is drawn.

Didn’t see any pocket holsters listed on Remora’s current website.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JPro
I use a DeSantis Nemesis. Fairly inexpensive pocket holster that I was using for the LCP and it also fits the Max.

Tks, looks good.

https://www.desantisholster.com/the-nemesis/

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I dumped the .380 years ago. Every time I carried my little Colt Pony, I felt I did not have enough gun.

Sam......

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have not shot the LCP max
But I had the original LCP

Just my option but I do like the S&W bodyguard quite a bit more

It feels good in the hand and shoots very well and feels smooth

It also goes well in the front pocket
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Bristoe

I recall you saying you had inadvertently fired some 40,000psi loads through your LCP Max and it shot loose.

If it’s anything like mine, it was prob’ly pretty loose when you bought it. I can rattle mine on the slide rails.

Yeah. I've shot it since then after giving it a good inspection. I'm sure that my brain fart at the powder scale shortened its lifespan. But it didn't destroy it.

Amazing, actually.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (16penny, 007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 60 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,437
Posts18,470,834
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.