Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
N
Nessmuk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
I live in southern Virginia. At the Tennessee and Kentucky corner. How much should I expect to pay for a hog hunt if I ever get to?

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
In Texas, $500 per day for a night vision hunt which includes guns, thermals, ammo, room & meals.

In Georgia, $500 per day without meals and lodging

Last edited by Charlie-NY; 01/17/23.
N
Nessmuk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Not my gun, and only at night? Blech.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Nessmuk

They would be happy if you used your own rifle and ammo but many hunters aren't set up with quality night vision. As far as hunting in the daylight; my experience is that it isn't very productive, and it is nowhere near as much fun as opening up on an entire sounder.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Charlie-NY
Originally Posted by Nessmuk

They would be happy if you used your own rifle and ammo but many hunters aren't set up with quality night vision. As far as hunting in the daylight; my experience is that it isn't very productive, and it is nowhere near as much fun as opening up on an entire sounder.
yep in Army at Ft Stewart Ga. when in the field on field exerzises . Never saw hogs during the day . During the night sounders would run all around our fox holes ,and us only with blank rounds ,I was not a happy camper

NRA Life Member
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Did you ever see the REAL hogs at Graf?
Watched a big sow push around a garbage bin on wheels like a NFL lineman.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Most of these hog hunting places have prices that are ridiculously and obscenely high! Big offenders are places located In Tennessee. Others are in Texas despite the fact that all of these landowners are crying that the hogs are overrunning their land. Remember, it’s all about the money. My rant!

Last edited by bgcatty; 01/21/23. Reason: Typos

If you do what you've always done, then you will get what you've always got.
Carpe Diem,
bgcatty
NRA Patriot Life Benefactor Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Field and Stream has an article that states that the northern states may be getting hogs that can stand the winters, they may be coming down from Canada.

I was on a hog hunt south of San Antonio where the rancher fed us and put us up for the weekend. He cooked the hogs, but he screwed that up. the meat was way way overdone. We didn't bitch much because it was all free.

Last edited by Bugger; 01/21/23.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I did a hog hunt with "S.C. Trophy Hunters", which was supposed to be a free-range hog hunt. It was a total scam like many of them are. On the first day they took you out to a stand in the early morning hours (dark). It wasn't apparent that you were in a large low fence enclosure. You were told that you could only take 1 pig per stand. Within a few hours I saw a large group of pigs and shot one. My buddy got one nearby too. Eventually they picked us up in a 4x4 and you could see fencing in a few areas on the way back to the lodge.

The next 5 sits on stand(s) were NOT in any enclosure and we never saw any hogs (either one of us). The stands were clearly whitetail stands and there were no hogs, or even hog prints, anywhere around. Other hunters came into the lodge and each one was put on the "honey hole" for one sitting. It became apparent that the outfitter's goal was to get everyone one pig in the enclosure and then put hunters on stands that they knew you had no chance of seeing any pigs. It was all about the money, and the pigs that were shot were part of their "put & take" operation. We left a day early even though we were fully paid for our hunt.

On the bright side, they had a superb cook. The lady made the best ribs and smoked butt that I've ever had.

Last edited by Charlie-NY; 01/21/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I understand that more and more of the hog hunt places are turning into put and take operations. Somebody traps the hogs and then turns them loose into the hog hunting area before the shooters arrive so they have something to kill. Is this pretty prevalent now?

Rolly
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Rolly
I understand that more and more of the hog hunt places are turning into put and take operations. Somebody traps the hogs and then turns them loose into the hog hunting area before the shooters arrive so they have something to kill. Is this pretty prevalent now?

It certainly seems so. Where can you go and KNOW that this isn't the case?

I just booked another hog hunt, but this time I'm going to TX. A guy in my NC whitetail camp highly recommended the place. We'll see.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
My son went on a hog hunt last year with friends. He said they all got hogs on the first day and seen several more. When returning to the lodge, trucks were bumper to bumper in a line with cages in the back. All were selling hogs to the outfit, that they had trapped the night before. You had to look real hard to see, but it was a high fenced in area. They were disappointed it was not a free range hunt. He said he would never go back there again. If you got a huge hog they charged you a trophy fee. All the locals trapped hogs to sell to the outfitter for money. It was a racket.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant

Most are like that

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Charlie-NY

It certainly seems so. Where can you go and KNOW that this isn't the case?

I just booked another hog hunt, but this time I'm going to TX. A guy in my NC whitetail camp highly recommended the place. We'll see.

Ive hunted hogs in Texas a LOT and seen all kinds of things. What to watch for down there is if all the hogs pictured are the same size and smallish...thats a put and take operation.Other thing to avoid is places offering 'unlimited ' hogs...which generally means you aren't going to see any, or somebody is trying to make a buck while you are helping clear his land of hogs ( and usually in those cases theres very few)

I hope your hunt down there is a good one...Ive run into a couple good operations for sure.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I'm going hog hunting, I'll be looking for the better table fare.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you haven’t had the pleasure of paying Texas property taxes, don’t complain about prices.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
In FL looks like the going rate is around 250 for a meat hog, 500 for a trophy. Plus 40-50 bux to hack it up and toss in yer cooler. That is excluding room and board. I'm fixing to do this, and have been researching.

For one thing, aside from getting a meat hog for the table, I plan to use a larger caliber that will work well for Alaska and bear or moose. 2 birds with one stone sort of approach.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Illegal in Texas and Oklahoma. Trap 'em all you want. Sell them to buyers.....
DO NOT relocate them! ....even if it is on private property!
South Texas is famous for it's "high fence" exotic game ranches. Over the years, it has been proven time and time again, even high fence can't contain animals. They WILL find a way over, under, around or through.
There are fallow deer, blackbuck antelope and nilgai all over central and south Texas.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have hunted hogs in GA and in TX. The TX hunts were at night using night vision and green lights on the feeders. I shot 6 hogs during a 3 day hunt. Everything was low fence (which means nothing to pigs, BTW).
In GA I was on a combo hog/deer hunt along a river in middle GA. The hunting was from deer stand over fields and feeders. Was able to shoot 4 hogs and 2 does the first time out and a pig and three deer the second time with them.
The place in GA does hog only hunts too, but they have limited them recently due to flooding of the river putting a big dent in the pig population on the property.
Both places had great accommodations. The food wasn't included at either place, but both had great kitchens and grills/Green Eggs available for guests to use. I like to cook, so it wasn't bad for me at all.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
If you haven’t had the pleasure of paying Texas property taxes, don’t complain about prices.

Back when old Heck was a pup, south Texas scrub brush ranchers hubbed it year after year to pay taxes, etc, every year. It was a hard scrabble lifestyle....but they had a bunch of really big bucks.
When corporations figured out that clients could be wined and dined while hunting and the cost could be written off as "entertainment" on their taxes, they went all in.
When ranchers figured out that leasing hunting to big corporations, Exxon, Mobil, Dr. Pepper, Frito-Lay to mention a few, would not only pay their property taxes, but would also replace revenues from low profit years, why the hell not?

If you're a corporation wanting to lease hunting rights for entertainment, where do you go to lease 10,000 (or more!) acres of land covered with some big old bucks?
TEXAS!
Not only did those old hardscrabble ranchers finally begin to make money, those corporations would come in and set up accommodations for their high dollar clients.
They hired ranch hands that knew the area as guides.
Local laborers earned money processing game.
Cooking. Cleaning. Driving.
Land that once would barely make a living was suddenly stuffing lean bank accounts and it hardly interfered with the ranchers chose profession...raising cattle!
Win-Win.

See continued rant below.....!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,896
Posts18,479,248
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.