Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by deflave
You have a lot to learn about handgunning.

And yet another thing you're an expert at!!

I wouldn’t say I am an expert but I do understand the basic principles.

If you ever wanna learn, just ask.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Glock 43, 10 yards rested, 100 grain hardcast, loaded on the light side with 4.5 grains of Bullseye. Probably about 1100 fps. It's not a target pistol. But it seems to hit close enough to where you point it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Your ballistics are almost identical to the Hornady Critical Defense Lite. That is a 100gr Flex Tip at 1125 fps.

Yeah. I was considering the 43 to be a .380 +P+ when I bought it. I've found that it works very well at that power level.

For a small pistol that's not bad. A real step up from 380 power level, but still pleasant to shoot.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Glock 43, 10 yards rested, 100 grain hardcast, loaded on the light side with 4.5 grains of Bullseye. Probably about 1100 fps. It's not a target pistol. But it seems to hit close enough to where you point it.

Your ballistics are almost identical to the Hornady Critical Defense Lite. That is a 100gr Flex Tip at 1125 fps.

Yeah. I was considering the 43 to be a .380 +P+ when I bought it. I've found that it works very well at that power level.

For a small pistol that's not bad. A real step up from 380 power level, but still pleasant to shoot.

I'm sure the pistol is capable of better. My eyes aren't particularly good these days. I can see the sights well enough. But the circle on the target is fairly blurry when my focus is on the front sight.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

I'm sure the pistol is capable of better. My eyes aren't particularly good these days. I can see the sights well enough. But the circle on the target is fairly blurry when my focus is on the front sight.

I hear you on the eyes. No way I can get the front sight in focus anymore. Embrace the blur.

I did set up a pistol with a RDS recently. That does seem to help out some, but there is a learning curve. Only one thing to center on the target though, blurry or clear.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't have a 43 anymore, but it is a solid gun in its size range. Considering that a 100 grain hard cast flat point starting at 940 fps out of my .380 slightly outpenetrated a 9mm 124 grain Gold Dot fired out my 9mm with the same barrel length, I am curious to know what a 100 grain hard cast starting at 1100 will do. You probably could dial it back a little and lessen the recoil with no appreciable loss of damage to the target.

As far as Critical Defense is concerned, I wouldn't trust it against barriers.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
As far as Critical Defense is concerned, I wouldn't trust it against barriers.

I tend to agree there. Going with the lighter weight bullets like sub-115gr, and at sub-9mm standard velocity, penetration has to be there. Expanding bullets in that range of weight/speed give up too much penetration for my liking.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
With the 9mm dropping into 380+P territory, cycling issues could start to appear. That is something to be aware of and keep an eye on.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
With the 9mm dropping into 380+P territory, cycling issues could start to appear. That is something to be aware of and keep an eye on.

Yeah. I was wondering how it would cycle with a load as light as what I was putting through it. I chose Bullseye because it's a fast powder and I thought it would generate a quicker impulse on the slide. I don't know if it does or not. But the brass was getting tossed pretty good and the slide locks open when the magazine is empty. It doesn't appear that cycling is going to be an issue with this load.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Flatnose bullet?

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
This is the bullet I'm going to load in the 9mm. I use them in my .380s also. This is 926 fps. Maybe 8"? Another 175-200 fps should be just about right. Any more and I'm thinking they might start breaking apart.

IC B3

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn
Flatnose bullet?

Yeah. 100 grain 22 bnh cast flatnose. They're okay to play around with. But cast bullets in the 9mm have some drawbacks. The grease groove on this particular bullet is positioned fairly high so you have to seat the bullet deep to have it contained in the case. The 9mm is already a high pressure cartridge and seating the bullet deeper than normal will push pressure up quick.

It's a variable that's impossible to gauge.

But, as mentioned, I was loading them light to check for functioning. So I wasn't concerned. I wouldn't use them if I was chasing velocity, though.

These. I originally bought them to load in .380 cartridges.

https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/tsh-380-9mm-100-gr-fp-per-300.html

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
This is the bullet I'm going to load in the 9mm. I use them in my .380s also. This is 926 fps. Maybe 8"? Another 175-200 fps should be just about right. Any more and I'm thinking they might start breaking apart.

I've read some seriously bad things about those. Sure they expand, but no penetration. From what I've seen they'd be the last bullet I'd load.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yeah. I was wondering how it would cycle with a load as light as what I was putting through it. I chose Bullseye because it's a fast powder and I thought it would generate a quicker impulse on the slide. I don't know if it does or not. But the brass was getting tossed pretty good and the slide locks open when the magazine is empty. It doesn't appear that cycling is going to be an issue with this load.

I share those same concerns with ammo that is outside the usual norm for the caliber. It sounds like that contingency has been handled.

If you are talking about a carry load, I wouldn't rely on that one holding up against any kind of barrier. Once I get into the realm of duty calibers, I just stick with the stuff the cops carry because it has been highly vetted. Stuff like 124 and 147 Gold Dots and HSTs can be purchased online under $50 per 50 round box, and you only need a couple of boxes to start and a box a year for replacement. Then you can make up a practice load with Berry's to mimick the recoil characteristics. If you are talking woods walking and such, I would up the hard cast bullet to a 148 Rim Rock Outdoorsman. The Buffalo Bore +P ammo using the same bullet functioned fine in my 43.

YMMV

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I would up the hard cast bullet to a 148 Rim Rock Outdoorsman. The Buffalo Bore +P ammo using the same bullet functioned fine in my 43.

YMMV

Rim Rock makes the 100 grain 22 bnh flat point bullets that Buffalo Bore uses in their .380 +P loads, also.

That's the bullet I was using to test function in my 43. People (including Glock) say not to shoot cast bullets in their polygonal barrels. But I didn't figure a 22 bnh bullet at 1100 would leave any lead behind,..and they didn't. They seem fairly accurate, also.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I felt the G43x was a little snappy compared to a G26. I've always smoothed and polished the feed ramps on Glocks. If not you stand a good chance of smashing the plastic shot shells.

Life is good live it while you can.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
No way I'd carry that Berry Bullets bullet. Look at the next 300 pound black dude you see while getting some fried gizzards and say 'Yeah, I think 8 inches of penetration will suffice.'

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
No way I'd carry that Berry Bullets bullet. Look at the next 300 pound black dude you see while getting some fried gizzards and say 'Yeah, I think 8 inches of penetration will suffice.'

You're Maser,....right?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

You're Maser,....right?

No, I don't run to hotels when the news says there might be a 1/4" of ice.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

You're Maser,....right?

Tell me what was wrong about what I posted. I'll tell you want, PM Ted (Mackeysagebush) and ask him if I'm Maser.

You old fuggs are funny

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B

You're Maser,....right?

Tell me what was wrong about what I posted. I'll tell you want, PM Ted (Mackeysagebush) and ask him if I'm Maser.

I don't know if you're right or not. Tell me about all the 300 pound black dudes you've shot with that bullet and what the results were.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (270cowboy, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1234, 1_deuce, 61 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,522
Posts18,491,050
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.