Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Worse comes to worse,I'll give it all to a pard,as several like the Mini Howie in 7.62x39 for Boat Guns. Sea Otters HATE it. Hint................(grin)

I figured as much. I’ve kinda half followed the Oregon Gunsmithing BM, kinda sounds like that is the way to fly to have it right. I do kinda like DBM options though for this one. The CTR is quite handy as such.

Semper Fi
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Any updates? I finally received my stock today. I dremeled it out where nothing was in a bind and may try to shoot it tomorrow. It needs bedded but I have a couple to do so I’ll get all that done at the same time.

I’m set on lever and it seems like most guys here are pleased with it. Curious if opinions have changed on bottom metal be it Wayne’s or magazines?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep. Hint................

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Having a bit of experience with both the CZ magazine conversion trigger guard and also hinged floor plates in the Howa mini, I would say that if you only run factory ammo you would be fine with the CZ magazine option.
If on the other hand you handload longer C.O.A.L. to take advantage of better bullets than you really need to run one of the floor plate options that allow the longer bullet seating depths. Fortunately there are multiple options available to suit most people's needs.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Considering the price, a feller could afford both types if it made him happy. I like the CZ mags, but $150 ain’t much of a disincentive if I decided to run something long. Not sure what bullets will spin in a 1-8” .223 that won’t fit in a 2.3-something” magazine, and what use I would have for them here in the wooded East is another question.

No 6 Arc for me, I guess. Grandpa’s winding down these days. Got a nifty new pistol though!

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Considering the price, a feller could afford both types if it made him happy. I like the CZ mags, but $150 ain’t much of a disincentive if I decided to run something long. Not sure what bullets will spin in a 1-8” .223 that won’t fit in a 2.3-something” magazine, and what use I would have for them here in the wooded East is another question.

No 6 Arc for me, I guess. Grandpa’s winding down these days. Got a nifty new pistol though!

You’d hate the 6 ARC Pappy.. 108’s at the same speed as 77’s from the 223 roughly…. I mean it would probably, barely have enough juice to pop one of them WV bucks… whistle

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs

You’d hate the 6 ARC Pappy.. 108’s at the same speed as 77’s from the 223 roughly…. I mean it would probably, barely have enough juice to pop one of them WV bucks… whistle

With a tricked out 6.5 Mini on one hand, and a Fieldcraft 6CM on the other, I kinda have it surrounded. I’m 71, and have a fair number of rifles that are still unbloodied. Little doubt that I’d like one; Hell I like it now, even without one.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

With a tricked out 6.5 Mini on one hand, and a Fieldcraft 6CM on the other, I kinda have it surrounded. I’m 71, and have a fair number of rifles that are still unbloodied. Little doubt that I’d like one; Hell I like it now, even without one.

I was just messin, I knew you had it pretty well bracketed. It is a dandy little gun though. Fun as hell to shoot.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ol’ Pappy’s a pretty easy target for joshin’, naive and literal-minded. Low-hanging fruit for certain!

I have been contemplating running some mild loads using my fearsome pile of 6mm bullets with H4895 in my Fieldcraft, 6ARC without the expense of a new rifle and easy on the barrel. The holdup, aside from laziness, is the lack of H4895. Saw a jug a few months ago and let it slip away. I have one broken jug, but am hoarding it for my .30/06.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have been contemplating running some mild loads using my fearsome pile of 6mm bullets with H4895 in my Fieldcraft, 6ARC without the expense of a new rifle and easy on the barrel. The holdup, aside from laziness, is the lack of H4895. Saw a jug a few months ago and let it slip away. I have one broken jug, but am hoarding it for my .30/06.

I've considered doing the same to see how close I can get a 6.5 CM to a 6.5 Grendel. Curiosity was my main motivator....and time was my main source of demotivation.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My CZ disdain,remains exceptionally WELL fhuqking founded. Hint.

Cheap R&D and I knowed,that I knowed the answer and it's an easy pass. Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

I've considered doing the same to see how close I can get a 6.5 CM to a 6.5 Grendel. Curiosity was my main motivator....and time was my main source of demotivation.

If you can't find any, take a look in cast bullet manuals and look at 260 Rem or 243 cast load data.

I've been doing this for years... try 4198 ( either, but I prefer IMR's ), or RL 7, or some of the faster bullets..

I shoot the Grendal, and also the 260s...I have two Creedmores, that I have never shot... picked up each one of them for $200 on close outs... hard to pass up a $200 rifle...never know when one might need a loaner, or you know someone deserving without the resources to pay for a rifle... I've given new rifles to 3 veterans over the last 24 months who fit the bill for deserving, need and not enough money...previously bought when on close out sales.

When loading a 6.5 Creedmore or 260 Remi to Grendal specs, not really much difference if at all, between loads for either caliber...
Blue Dot has also been an easily equivalent to make on either yielding Grendal velocity specs...
'

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Big Stick
My CZ disdain,remains exceptionally WELL fhuqking founded. Hint.

Cheap R&D and I knowed,that I knowed the answer and it's an easy pass. Hint.................
Like you said, you knew the answer before you clicked the order button.

Gotta admit though, it certainly looks a lot better…..

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Metal has long been more soothin' to me,than plastic. Especially on a rifle's bottom. Hint.

With a modest re-spring on the latch and a latch trim,I reckon a guy could likely retain a CZ magazine in a Howie Mini Carbon Queen,for part of a day. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Chris sent me the new, shorter release for mine. I’ll install it next time I have it down for a scope swap.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I tend to chop latches,as a default,because POSITIVE retention is rather important to me. Hint.

I would be warmer/fuzzier if Wayne's BDL latch extended farther,to increase retention. Hint.................

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Stick,
Splitting hairs I reckon but … ARC or Grendel in the mini? Caveat of factory fodder only. Kids; b tails out to 200.
Obliged.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 6ARC by light years. Hint...............

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Stick,
Splitting hairs I reckon but … ARC or Grendel in the mini? Caveat of factory fodder only. Kids; b tails out to 200.
Obliged.

Like you even had to ask AK! whistle

So far none of the Hornady factory stuff has shot anything but great in the Carbon ARC. Alot to like about that little fella.

Semper Fi
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I was curious how yours is shooting. Finally got my stock from stockys last week but I haven’t shot it yet. The weather has either been too crappy to shoot or so pretty I’d rather ride horses with the family.

Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 48 invisible), 2,286 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,095
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.