Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Gosh, where have I been?

I saw nothing incongrous in the movie, except maybe the concept of a major shootout in downtown Eagle Pass with nobody noticing.

As for them finding the adress/phone bill, I do recall Chugarsh looking for and removing the VIN plate off of LLwellyn's truck, and then finding the phone bill on the floor of their trailer.

A bit unrealistic that Llwelyn could hunt so freely on so much open land, the movie must have been set in some other Texas, the Texas I know is all fenced off.

Anyone who doubts that folks would know that Llwelyn's wife had gone to visit her mother, and that her mother lived in Amarillo, ain't spent much time in Sanderson Tx, especially Sanderson of twenty years back (not that its changed all that much).

The only improbability I saw was that computer generated crow ay night on the bridge, that don't have crows anywhere between Del Rio and Eagle Pass, just Chihuahua Ravens, which look and sound different.

A bit of a stretch, given the limited range of the transponder,that Chugarsh could find Llwelyn in Eagle Pass after coming so close at the motel in Del Rio. OTOH, there ain't very many highways out of Del Rio and Eagle Pass would be a pretty good gamble..

Also, the Rio Grande and bridge in the movie were clearly not the river and bridge in Texas, turns out the scene was prob'y shot in Albuquerque, which makes a lot more sense.

Birdwatcher
That's why you really ought to take the time and read the book. The movie is a POOR adaptation at best. Anytime everyone starts to highlight the movie as being great based on the cinematography or a particular actor's performance, rather than the content of the story, it's a pretty good sign the movie's crap.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I can't imagine a movie version of you not being better than the read....

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I can't imagine a movie version of you not being better than the read....
It would depend on getting Javier Bardem to portray me. smirk

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I haven't seen the movie.. I will wait for it on DVD. I am reading the book and already wish I had the time to sit and read it from cover to cover. It is a real page turner.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Just saw the movie, it was intense. The scenery really reminded me of where I roamed as a boy in Arizona.

Greatly enjoyed the movie but have to say I did not like the ending.

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
while i have no interest in the movie the book is a must read.... quick and a wicked page turner..... cant imagine having this stuff rolling around in your head.... must be a real hoot at a barbecue smile

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
They have brought the movie back to the theater and it will be out on DVD on Tuesday. I am tempted to go see it anyway, and if it is good as they say buy the DVD. I am now hooked on the books. I am reading "Blood Meridian" right now, and just read where Ridley Scott is making the movie. If anyone can do a book justiice it would be him. I read "The Road" before this one and it has to be the darkest page turner that I have ever read.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Road ain't a patch on Blood Meridian when it comes to "dark".

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not having read the book myself, I would like to comment that does not mean I am illiterate or juvenile before being accused of such. That being said, movie making is storytelling also. I followed the story, was held in suspense as to where the story was going, did not find any gaping holes in the storyline. I found this movie very enjoyable as it certainly was not typical Hollywood fare and left me thinking when the story was told. Of course my perceptions of the movie were not clouded by my reading of the book. I could take the content as presented and enjoy it none the less.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by supercrewd
Not having read the book myself, I would like to comment that does not mean I am illiterate or juvenile before being accused of such. That being said, movie making is storytelling also. I followed the story, was held in suspense as to where the story was going, did not find any gaping holes in the storyline. I found this movie very enjoyable as it certainly was not typical Hollywood fare and left me thinking when the story was told. Of course my perceptions of the movie were not clouded by my reading of the book. I could take the content as presented and enjoy it none the less.
You've made up your mind to set aside any objectivity and "like" the move because it's what happens to be popular at present.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Oh that was it...

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just saw the movie myself, I thought it was great! it wasn't trumped up in hollywood, it was as I could see happening at that time and by the manner of people. I found it riveting to say the least. lots of movies don't follow the books exactly, which is why I usually either only read or only watch a story. its meant for entertainment yes? it was entertaining. therefore its a success in my opinion. I'm buying it when it comes out on DVD.

I bet the book is good though too

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You only liked it because it was popular, come on...

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never was one to follow the rest of the herd smile

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The view never changes...

NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I liked it.Read the book about a year and a half ago.
Movies always leave some stuff out, nature of the beast.
Filmed around Marfa, fyi.
I would have taken the money too. Bob

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just saw this movie a couple of days ago on DVD. It was outstanding. At first I was a bit confused as I thought the nain plot line was that of Josh Brolin's character. When I realized the main plot line was that of Tommy Lee Jones' character, it all made sense. The best movie I've seen lately.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Originally Posted by supercrewd
You've made up your mind to set aside any objectivity and "like" the move because it's what happens to be popular at present.

There have been crappy movies made of good books and good movies made of crappy books. Here we have a great movie made from a great book. So they are not exactly the same in storyline. That is typically the case when a movie is made from a book. Your insinuation of intellectual superiority based on your opinion of a movie is humorous at best and annoying and blatantly wrong at worst. Let it go.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
WELL glad that's over--read the book twice--saw the movie once and I thought the brothers did a good classic comics version of another of McCarthy's broodings. I've read most of his work and while I love the stories and characters I think the guy is real gloomy--no good deed ever goes unpunished eh?

...for sure...live long enough you're gonna end up dying of something
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Great, now I know the ending thanks alot...sheesh.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 22magnut, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,797
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.