Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
The movie was just wierd, IMO. Of course I had a jaundiced eye from the start when Lewyellen "eyeballs" the distance to the antelope and then twists the ele. turret! Hollywood!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do people in Texas really say "at the gettin' place." It is a line that was used in McCarthy's All the Pretty Horses also.

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know for a fact they say it in western Oklahoma.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a BIG fan of the Brothers Coen - but I didn't think this one measured up to the level of a Fargo or a Raising Arizona

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's because it wasn't a comedy. Apples and oranges Ivan.

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Who gives a [bleep] about the book, the movie kicked a$$.....

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven't read the book but did see the movie on DVD a while back. I thought it was great, even with the ending some complain about. I'm sure the book is better, which why I always like to see the movie first...grin

Nail

What about guns?When do we get guns?
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by MarlinMark
Do people in Texas really say "at the gettin' place." It is a line that was used in McCarthy's All the Pretty Horses also.

In Mississippi it was always said "At the gettin place on gotten street"

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have not read the book but just finished watching the DVD.

I enjoyed the movie even if I at first felt cheated by the ending. After a few moments I realised the intention of the ending was to make one come to the conclusion by themselves.

Way back it was posted that Shane was an excellent film interpretation of the book. I strongly disagree. I have seen the movie several times and read the book at least a dozen times. I used the book in my 7th and 8th grade classes and would conclude the study with a viewing of the movie. All the kids, several hundred over the years, had the same view as I. The book was very much superior. No one had pictured Shane as dressed in buckskins when he arrives at the ranch and when he leaves. Also a great deal of the symbolism is missing. Without knowing what the author was expressing in several scenes leaves the movie a shadow of the book. If possible find the edition which contains study notes for junior college level, read it , see the movie and note what was missing. Incidentally it took very little guidance, mainly in the form of questioning for 12 and 13 year olds to see the reason for the stump scene or the biscuit sharing etc etc .

Last edited by Murf; 06/27/08.

Murf
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It takes awhile to understand the ending of "No Country For Old Men".The point of it is,there is no happy ending.No one came away unscathed.Moss is dead.So is his wife.The head honcho of the drug dealer is dead.Chigurh gets busted up bad in a car accident.Sheriff Bell retires due to feeling "outmatched" by the new breed of criminal he is facing.

WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is no time for circumlocution.

The movie was good. The book was better. See how easy that was? grin

P.S. Not aimed at you WCB, quick reply and all.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Watched the movie,read the book,even listened to it on book tape.

This is one of the very,very few times that a movie comes close to doing justice to a good novel.The only other one I can think of immediatley is "The Shawshank Redemption".For instance,the character "Red" in the book is a red headed Irishman.In the movie,Red is played by Morgan Freeman.But there was no one else who could bring that character to life than Morgan Freeman.

Kind of the same way with Javier Bardem and Chigurh.When you read the book,Javier Bardem is about the last person you picture in your mind as Chigurh.But Bardem did it better than anyone else could have.

The scene with Bardem and the gas station attendant is without a doubt the finest acting I've ever seen.In the book,this scene doesn't really stand out.In the movie,you can't take your eyes away.

WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Originally Posted by supercrewd
Not having read the book myself, I would like to comment that does not mean I am illiterate or juvenile before being accused of such. That being said, movie making is storytelling also. I followed the story, was held in suspense as to where the story was going, did not find any gaping holes in the storyline. I found this movie very enjoyable as it certainly was not typical Hollywood fare and left me thinking when the story was told. Of course my perceptions of the movie were not clouded by my reading of the book. I could take the content as presented and enjoy it none the less.
You've made up your mind to set aside any objectivity and "like" the move because it's what happens to be popular at present.
There have been crappy movies made of good books and good movies made of crappy books. Here we have a great movie made from a great book. So they are not exactly the same in storyline. That is typically the case when a movie is made from a book. Your insinuation of intellectual superiority based on your opinion of a movie is humorous at best and annoying and blatantly wrong at worst. Let it go.

Expat
Perhaps "popup" books would more suit someone of your ilk, because literature certainly isn't your forte. Neither are movie critiques.

You might also like the new Indiana Jones flick or "The Love Guru." They share the common denominator of crap with "No Country for Old Men." Maybe you'll get the chance to watch all three at one sitting. It could be the special olympics of movie watching.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MarlinMark
That's because it wasn't a comedy. Apples and oranges Ivan.
Uh, "Blood Simple," "Miller's Crossing," "Barton Fink," "The Hudsucker Proxy," "Fargo," and "The Man Who Wasn't There" weren't comedies either.

Research. Comprehend. Engage your brain to your typing finger. In that order.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Who gives a damn? I don't recall what happens in wind-blown-nowhere-Godforsaken western Oklahoma being the subject here. Start a new thread.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit
The head honcho of the drug dealer is dead.
Perhaps you should take some time to ACTUALLY READ the book and WATCH the movie. Your recollection didn't quite happen.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bricktop
Happy to see some things never change... You are still an azz.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit
The head honcho of the drug dealer is dead.
Perhaps you should take some time to ACTUALLY READ the book and WATCH the movie. Your recollection didn't quite happen.

Oh Great One,
I am but a poor dumb ignorant redneck.Would you be as so kind to explain what I missed?

WB.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by supercrewd
Not having read the book myself, I would like to comment that does not mean I am illiterate or juvenile before being accused of such. That being said, movie making is storytelling also. I followed the story, was held in suspense as to where the story was going, did not find any gaping holes in the storyline. I found this movie very enjoyable as it certainly was not typical Hollywood fare and left me thinking when the story was told. Of course my perceptions of the movie were not clouded by my reading of the book. I could take the content as presented and enjoy it none the less.
You've made up your mind to set aside any objectivity and "like" the move because it's what happens to be popular at present.
There have been crappy movies made of good books and good movies made of crappy books. Here we have a great movie made from a great book. So they are not exactly the same in storyline. That is typically the case when a movie is made from a book. Your insinuation of intellectual superiority based on your opinion of a movie is humorous at best and annoying and blatantly wrong at worst. Let it go.

Expat
Perhaps "popup" books would more suit someone of your ilk, because literature certainly isn't your forte. Neither are movie critiques.

You might also like the new Indiana Jones flick or "The Love Guru." They share the common denominator of crap with "No Country for Old Men." Maybe you'll get the chance to watch all three at one sitting. It could be the special olympics of movie watching.

You have such an exalted view of your own intelligence! How unfortunate that it seems no one else shares the opinion.

See ya'. whistle

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Who gives a damn? I don't recall what happens in wind-blown-nowhere-Godforsaken western Oklahoma being the subject here. Start a new thread.

I reckon to you I will say what I want when I want from where ever I want and you can't do anything about it. I do however hope it annoys you.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,492 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,082
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.