Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Post op, maybe a week after cutting, doc comes in to exam room and I hop up and shake his hand.

He was stunned.

Asked me if it hurt, told him hell yeah, but less than before surgery so no big deal AFAIC.

My hernia repair was due to a prev surgeon going exploratory and ripping me. THAT was brutal.

Any surgery, for me, takes 3 days before the guts get moving again. Only take Tylenol.

Going in a week for gallbladder. See how that messes me up.

Last edited by hookeye; 01/28/23.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No idea, I got the cheap stuff and used them as directed. Maybe a little more than directed at first because of what you are experiencing.

I also drink V8 frequently. Before and in lieu of a meal sometimes. Lots of nutrients and minerals etc. Get the low sodium if you need to. I still drink it and think it helps in a lot of ways.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by dpd
I had it 12 years ago at 49. My surgery was laparoscopic. I was really sore the first week. It was hard to straighten up completely for a couple days . Complete recovery was 6 weeks before my doc. cleared me to return to work. My job was very physical though. For almost 10 years after my surgery I could feel a pinch from the mesh if I turned a certain way . Do everything you can not to cough !!! Good luck with your recovery.
I had that done 10 years ago. You will understand how much you use your core. Very painful couple of days.😂

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Prior to my surgery in the prep room...a young guy going in for the same surgery as me says.....I dont see the big deal, mine doesn't bother me, but doc says I needed to get it fixed, what does yours feel like?

I says...you ever get kicked in the nuts, then have someone stand on them?

Post surgery in the recovery room, kid says to me...now I know what you mean LOL.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Had both sides done in 2007 at age 55. Six weeks before I was allowed to go back to work as a carpenter. First week or so post-op was a little touchy. I'd say for a year or so if I stretched a little bit farther than I had before I would get a twinge till I got things back to a full range of motion. Rarely feel anything now fifteen years later.

With any surgery I don't see how incisions can be made without cutting nerves and causing problems at least short term. I've had several surgeries here and there for different things and all of them so far have worked out pretty good.

If you're having trouble with stairs or uphill grades, try going up backwards, it puts much less stress on the incisions and mesh till it gets bonded and healed.

Be patient and let it heal. Eager beavers have more problems. Good Luck!

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Had a double done back around 93-94 ish
back to work in 3 days I think,light duty and walked with a cane.
I too could feel mesh or staples every so often,nothing now

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Had R side done in 99. I pushed things a little too hard and ended up tearing the stitches out and getting an infection. Got the L side done four years ago. Had a hiatal hernia fixed at the same time. This time I took it easy. Healed up fairly quickly. Lesson - don’t overdo it.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Had Hernia surgery in March of 2021, on St. Patricks day, which was a Wednesday. Checked in at the surgery center at 6:45am, they started at about 7:30am. I was back home before 12:00pm, up walking immediately. Went to the drugstore about 2:00 pm, took it easy for the rest of the day, no problems with movement at all really, took pain medication that day. Got up the next morning (Thursday) got dressed was going to go to work, my wife got up and nixed that idea. I think I took a short walk outside that day. Went to work on Friday. I was on pain meds for a few days then just Tylenol. It was not a walk in the park, but not that bad, I'm not a hero when it comes to that stuff either. Found out I had the Hernia in 1997, it wasn't bothering me until about 2020, a year or so before I had it repaired.

Last edited by softailrider; 01/28/23.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have had one on the left side for 6 years, iam 56, doesn't bother me, I can pretty much do anything I want except lift brutally heavy objects so I quit working out when made it's appearance 6 years ago. Have heard a lot of horrible stories about the mesh or just the general recovery from surgery. Going to have mine repaired this winter by a surgeon that uses what he calls a Modified Shouldice Technique. Spoke with the surgeon myself a few months ago and he said he uses a twilight sedation, I will be in and out in a a few hours and back to work in a week. Still not looking forward to the whole thing. https://herniasurgeries.com/hernia-doctor-cleveland-ohio/

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I don’t know shat about hernias except that I have a ventral hernia and I’m having surgery on Friday. The surgeon said it will be a robotic procedure and mesh will be used. He also said he was going to use some special type of iv painkiller that will wear off after three days but it should knock out the absolute worst part of the pain. Idk but I’m not too excited.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Had it done on the left side back 1993. I remember the surgeon telling me he would install a gor-tex patch. I assume it was a mesh. I remember being sore as hell for about a week. Was off work for 4 weeks. Good advise on the stool softener. You don't want to strain any more than you have to.

3825 24336
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Had the right side done about 15 years ago I guess. Double mesh. About a 5-in incision.. My doc was old school.
Absolutely bulletproof repair.
Try not to sneeze for the first few days...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Couple years back. Looked like Mike Tyson went to work on my ball bag. Not bad compared to joint surgeries.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
If any of you guys are up near the Detroit area, my surgeon was a guy named Scott Laker MD in Farmington Hills, MI. This guy is about 50 years old, and he is absolute aces. Can't say enough good things about him.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LBP
. He also said he was going to use some special type of iv painkiller that will wear off after three days but it should knock out the absolute worst part of the pain.

Could be as simple as CNS opioid but a synergised Multimodal (MMA)
would give max effect by targeting multiple mech. of action pathways.

Other benefit of S/MMA is that it provides the required clinical analgesic
effect avoiding side effect of high dosage single opioid.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My son is your age and had it done awhile back. Painful, but worked out OK in the long run. No problems AFIK.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My balls swelled up so big after mine I thought my sack was gonna explode. Looked like I had a big red party balloon where my nuts used to be. Literally couldn't put my pants on for weeks cuz my balls wouldn't fit. Was a bitch just to walk. Called the doc, said WTF ? Said he had to "manipulate" my nut cords during surgery. I said WTF did you manipulate them with, the heel of your boot ? That was 6 years ago now. I've got a 5" scar, It still hurts when I lift something heavy and it's still numb in pubic area below the scar. Thank God my pecker still works and I still have my balls, though I can throw them over my shoulder like a gunny sack now.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Had one side done by slicing, had it redone by lapro couple years later, then a double done 8 years ago by lapro. No pain, no problems, still splitting wood with a maul, and dragging deer. Be 71 end of Feb.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Wound up with 2 after some meds they gave me after getting gutted.

I did not lift anything and had a right and my belly button looked like it was going to pop any minute.

They did warn me about my junk turning black and purple and swelling up but said it won't fall off.

The nurses gave me several ice packs and told me to buy 2 bags of frozen peas or corn.

Put 1 on the area then when it gets warmer put it back and use the other.

I had to get cut because when my guts dropped halfway between my hip and knee it became hard to put them back in.

Did not hurt much and everything has been good,only thing that happens pain wise is if on my feet a long time i get a pain where the work was done.

Sit down or lay down and it goes away.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
2 inguinal and 1 umbilical - in one shot.
Was hobbling up and down the driveway the next day - against Dr's orders, but couldn't stand the house anymore. (He wanted me to stay down for ~5 days)
At the six week check-up, the nurse asked how I thought I was doing.
Answered "Just fine". She asked "Why do you say that?"
I told her that the day before, I'd moved a loader bucket from my little trailer onto my flatbed pickup - by myself.
Her response - "If you didn't hurt yourself, you're doing fine. Get out of here - but take it a little easier for a while!"

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

166 members (257 mag, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 44mc, 35, 300_savage, 16 invisible), 1,784 guests, and 1,031 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,558
Posts18,510,458
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.