Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I was thinking the same thing. Like found on military 1911s.

LHS

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will be waiting for a range test report. Since these are a delayed blow-back and do not positively lock up, I've wondered if with a longer barrel the action will open before the bullet exits causing more gas to escape in and through the action. The 45's opened a little too soon with their standard length barrel. Maybe with the .32 & .380 the torque from the bullets on the rifling was enough to slow the action to avoid this.
.forgottenweapons/savageflash
forgottenweapons/savage-45

Gene
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Good point and I'm confident Searle & Co. were conscious of these relationships from the drafting board thru product release.
Basically, the time for the projectile to exit the barrel as compared to the time for the barrel to rotate and eject a shell had better be less that 1:1.
I understand the math, but have no idea how one would measure or verify such a thing.

This video demonstrate Savage pistol operation.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[quote=Southern_WI_Savage]First acquisition of 2023 is a good one.

I would be interested in hearing from the "pistol guys".
Ever seen the anchor stamp??

Southern, you got my first partial reply in that recent e-mail. When I eventually get everything pulled together, I will share here also.

Generally for the group;

Definitely not 350 smile Folks before are correct, while there is actually a .32 slide variation that falls in between Carr's 2 and 3, frame/slide put this at 1917... providing the slide is not re-engineered to an older frame. Would need to do some side-by-side comparisons.

There are a number of long barrels, I have identified at least 5, maybe 6 with serials - trying to dig up my data and pictures I have tracked or logged over the decades. At least two showed CA Nelson signing them out, his first 43357 (Carr pg 107) and more recently shown in Bailey's book/collection. Coincidence that if you obliterate/damage the first and last numbers on Nelson's .32 43357, you'd have 335 ? Who knows?

The extensions are done by cutting another slide and attaching, that way the first slide acts as the main spring retainer. At least one uses a cut down spring similar to the .380.

NO anchors on Savage, though there is a rumor. Maybe it was this one. The only multiple anchors stamps similar I have seen are the inspector ones on the Remington 51s.

"Too often people do not recognize Opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like Work." Thomas Alva Edison
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What is the scoop on that steel grip? laugh

"Too often people do not recognize Opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like Work." Thomas Alva Edison
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info Dave.
When I finally have it in hand I'll probably re-invent the wheel, that is disassemble, inspect, etc. I'll certainly understand it better and as you say "who knows?" what may appear.

Anchor stamp? Rem 51's were produced about the same time 1917/1918. Illion is "just down the road from Utica" per Phyllis Gough who's father William H. Gough travelled that route frequently.
Possibly a connection between companies via personnel and/or stamp. ?? Did stamps travel with the inspector/person on occasion?

Steel grip? Sorry I just sniped that pic quickly from the internet. Do you collect steel grip data? I could add a few.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Saw this today..

Brower's book, page 133, under Portuguese Military Contract Pistols.
Originally Posted by Bailey
Further complicating the issue is the existence of Savage pistols bearing a tiny anchor mark on the frame and an erroneous report that these were "Portuguese Navy" pistols. Although Savage pistols with an anchor mark are a rare and interesting find, they appear to have no connection whatever to Portugal

So that clears up... well... nothing. But sounds like he saw a couple with anchors, and explains the Portugal comment on the card.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Bear in mind that Bailey had possessed this pistol for ~20 years prior to his book so he had plenty of time to consider and explore different theories regarding its origin based on the parts used and soliciting opinions from others. All good.

I did a quick dive yesterday, disassembly, compare to other pistols, etc.
Summary;
The pistol is operational. Will I fire it? Ehhh...possibly??
As 1907Savage pointed out, throw the "350" serial number out the window. Know idea where that came from, but is only a distraction.
The frame, slide and breech block all appear to be from same/similar time period (~1915-17).
The frame has ~0.010" shaved off of both sides. This would remove the fire/safe & SAVAGE stamps and not sure if other mechanical reason associated, but doesn't appear so.
The barrel/chamber is a custom part to add length.
The magazine release lever is a custom part. Not exactly like a #1 or #2 lever. Not sure why it was used as it appears a type 2 release lever would work fine.
The slide is interesting and difficult to see inside. It appears to have been weld/extended, inside milled to smooth over weld bead and a sleeve inserted to provide a spring stop.

I'll continue this investigation and post more, pics, etc. later on.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I can’t see anybody thinking this gun was a Portuguese military pistol, so I’d think he’d seen at least one other normal type with it.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
After a quick search it turns out there are a number of known "long" barrel pistols. Likely more exist so I'll keep looking.
And this is just .32 & .380. Does not include .22, .25, .38 or .45 experimental pistols.
Note: Arthur Savage was still working on pistol patients during this time in CA. Must have been a competitive time period among manufacturers.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Upon further review #350 IS NOT .32/7.65 as the slide indicates.
The barrel I.D. measures ~.280/7mm. So the notion to shoot will have to wait.
The barrel is finished with rifling, but no other markings except for an anchor stamp.
Ive "heard" that Bailey mentioned Savage experimented with other calibers for other governments.

Does anyone have any ideas for center fire cartridges, circa 1915, police or otherwise?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Time for a chamber cast, I'm thinking... anything else will just be guesswork.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Time for a chamber cast
Agreed.
Just looking for input from others with cartridge knowledge that may be beneficial and interesting.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
The only thing Google could find is the 7mm Penna?

Good luck!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It's probably in here somewhere. eek

pistol cartridges

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only auto round I see with a .280" bullet is the 7mm Nambu. The next bullet dia. range is .307".

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I made wax casts of #350 (L) & @180154 (R) (equivalent variation)

The numbers;

The casts.
Each has 6 grooves although #350 is lighter.
What does a necked down .32acp give you?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mesa
I wonder if this was an R&D gun representing a Savage interest in a foreign market beyond the military handguns they made for France and Portugal.

There was a sort of trend after WWI among European (mainly Spanish) manufacturers to try to replace the French "Ruby" demand for secondary military pistols, mainly 7,65 Browning caliber, with sales to Asia. This resulted in all kinds of variants of the basic "Ruby" blowback auto they had cribbed from John Browning.

I've seen all kinds of odd "thirty-two autos" from this period. Some had longer-than-pocket-sized barrels, like this Savage. Some had greatly extended butts holding greatly extended magazines. Some had folding bayonets. If you look in any of the big gun dealers' (like Alfa) catalogs of the early '20s you will see some.

Don't know if any of these variants were ever actually adopted by any country as military arms, but they were certainly offered to military officers as personal purchases--I've seen photos of Japanese officers in the '20s carrying these "stretched Rubies" and also seen them in piles so captured Japanese arms.

Wonder if Savage R&D looked at some of those catalogs and thought that maybe they could get rid of any spares from their French contract by "looking East!"

(In this period the Spanish capitalized on the Asian taste for "broomhandles" and produced some modifications of the Mauser '96 pistol that were actually capable military arms. But 7.63mm is little different from 7.65mm in this case).
Mike,
Due to the fact that this barrel appears very deliberate your theory is plausible.
So far I have not been able to locate a potential match, but I'm not much of a ballistic expert either.
It seems that if Savage was targeting a foreign market they would utilize an existing cartridge vs. create something new that was not currently being produced.
With that in mind, are there any possibilities that rise to the surface that you are aware of?

Granted, my wax cast and measurement technique is close but not perfect.
What I measure for what I'm calling an experimental round is;
Case O.D. - 0.33 (same as .32)
Shoulder O.D. - 0.30
barrel I.D. - 0.275

Case O.A.L. - 0.80
Case to shoulder - 0.63 (same as .32)

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Southern,

Have been jumping in and out on this thread. Very interesting about the wax results.

Rick makes an interesting statement about the Nambu. The 7x22mm for the Baby Nambu manufactured 1907 to 1923.
https://www.rccbrass.com/7mm-baby-nambu/;

Case type Bottleneck rimless
Bullet diameter 7.08 mm (0.279 in)
Neck diameter 7.64 mm (0.301 in)
Shoulder diameter 8.62 mm (0.339 in)
Base diameter 8.91 mm (0.351 in)
Rim diameter 9.11 mm (0.359 in)
Rim thickness 0.98 mm (0.039 in)
Case length 19.80 mm (0.780 in)
Overall length 26.80 mm (1.055 in)

In pursuing more data on the A-Suffix "Experimentals", I too looked to see what other standard cartridge was out there and available in WWI outside the German influence. It was not a time the engaged countries were wanting lengthy R&D, particularly France. I keep coming back to 7.65mm for France. By the time Savage arrived France was well on its way into the orders for eventually 500,000 to 700,000? 7.65 Ruby pistols . Portuguese were cutoff from their traditional Lugers and Mausers and identified the 7.65mm as a readily available cartridge. I am pretty convinced now (and working on the documentation) that the A pistols had nothing to do with the French for a number of reasons. The prevalent published theory for France wanting 50 as a prototype for lanyards makes no sense. The French were already putting the "hourglass" lanyards on the first two shipments. Every "A" pistol to date has a lanyard ring or hole for one, even the frames.

By the time the Portuguese and Savage came together, earlier than what is believed, the M1907-13-3 with lanyard was a done deal. Wanting a different caliber does make sense if they were looking for something like their 1908 Lugers in 7.65 Parabellum, but too big for your measurements. I would see some serious rework on magazines as well. Documentation shows a large number of the A pistols/frames were bought as surplus from Portugal when they decided in early 1960s the cost to refurbish their Savage pistols was too much.

Keep digging ! Looks like I will be wax-casting my two A pistols, I may need some tips. smile

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Savage1907
Rick makes an interesting statement about the Nambu. The 7x22mm for the Baby Nambu manufactured 1907 to 1923.
Agree.
The 7mm Nambu looks like the dimensions are correct for this pistol. Nothing else I've seen is even close.

Savage1907, appreciate the context information. That's important in order to rule in, or rule out other metrics/factors potentially involved.

I'll either get some snap caps, brass or both, take a closer look and see what happens.

So today,... it appears this is the only known Savage Model 1907 7mm Nambu. smile

I know of at least 2 guys now who should probably consider a wax cast of their pistols. whistle

When I measured ~.275 barrel I.D. expecting .318, that was the first flag.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,189
Posts18,484,895
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.