-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1eyedmule - great rifle. And major style points for originality in the color combo of the paint. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 1eyedmule
Outkast CLR, 7PRC. Arrived a couple days ago. Nice work, I'm tickled. Fiddling/obsessing about scope mounts at the moment. Be doing the Dyna-tek bore coat process soon then get to some shooting.

[Linked Image]

Wonder why they used two different font sizes and wildly different spacing on the barrel stamp.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Picked mine up today. I’m from WV so I stuck it out the truck window and shot a stop sign on the way home. Range report is good lol.

Attached Images
IMG_2311.jpeg (18.02 KB, 657 downloads)
IMG_2311.jpeg (18.02 KB, 644 downloads)
Last edited by longshot3631; 07/10/23.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
More

Attached Images
IMG_2312.jpeg (10.89 KB, 640 downloads)
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks guys!

Still 2 down. You can squeeze in three but the spring is bottomed out and the bolt won't ride over the third round.

The color scheme is bold! I actually sent Glenn pictures of beech trees in November up here so he could match the grey bark and rusty orange leaves. If they made it a standard color choice, I'm not sure if they'd call it "Beech Ridge" or "Andy's Folly"! But, it's just what I wanted.

I'd guess the barrel was stamped "7mm" from Douglas and then after Outkast chambered it they used letter stamps to add the "PRC".

I'll post some groups when I get that far.

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks guys!

Still 2 down. You can squeeze in three but the spring is bottomed out and the bolt won't ride over the third round.

The color scheme is bold! I actually sent Glenn pictures of beech trees in November up here so he could match the grey bark and rusty orange leaves. If they made it a standard color choice, I'm not sure if they'd call it "Beech Ridge" or "Andy's Folly"! But, it's just what I wanted.

I'd guess the barrel was stamped "7mm" from Douglas and then after Outkast chambered it they used letter stamps to add the "PRC".

I'll post some groups when I get that far.

I was only ever able to fit 2 down with my nosler chamberings. Hope it shoots well for you!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If that were the case, would happen if the rifle had been chambered in 284 Win?

Not picking on Outkast per se, as the cheap looking barrel stamp situation is a shortcoming with a whole bunch of custom rifle builders.

Neat rifle overall!

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Outkast CLR, 7PRC. Arrived a couple days ago. Nice work, I'm tickled. Fiddling/obsessing about scope mounts at the moment. Be doing the Dyna-tek bore coat process soon then get to some shooting.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What did you end up thinking of the small pic mounts they made? I’m trying to decide if I should stick with Talley or get some low weaver or pic bases made while mines in for work.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
LW's all the way to the crash. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
If that were the case, would happen if the rifle had been chambered in 284 Win?

Not picking on Outkast per se, as the cheap looking barrel stamp situation is a shortcoming with a whole bunch of custom rifle builders.

Neat rifle overall!
I can also do it this way with my cnc, But I figured the NULA crowd would stone me for not doing it Melvin's way, with Melvin's tools.
If anybody in the future would like this type of engraving, feel free to ask.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by OutKastActual; 07/11/23.

Glenn
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Doubtful. Manufacturers usually stamp the end of the blank.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Remington92

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What did you end up thinking of the small pic mounts they made? I’m trying to decide if I should stick with Talley or get some low weaver or pic bases made while mines in for work.

They are quality pieces and if I mount a big scope they will be sweet. They are high though and I'm kind of focused on a light weight, low mounted 2-7 right now. They are kind of an interrupted rail and what I really like about that is that being high and two-piece you can fit your thumb under the scope behind the front mount around the balance point of the rifle if you need to one hand it in the steep stuff and use the other hand for climbing which is way better than cupping the rifle with low mounts or a rail negating the millions of years of evolution that gave us thumbs! grin

[Linked Image]

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Remington92,

Another thing I've discovered is that the weaver bases that were available at one time are simply Weaver #46 fronts and Weaver # 72 rears. The weaver chart says the 46s fit Win 70s, large ring Mausers and small ring Mausers. The small ring Mauser is noted at 1.3 inches diameter (I actually have a small ring with a #46 on the front). The NULA 28 is 1.285 so that makes sense but they are machined for a slightly bigger diameter. I'm going to bed one with JB Weld and release agent on the action. Since the #46 fits Win 70s there are plenty around. But, the rear #72 only fits older Sakos apparently and is harder to find. I've got a few to play with.

Actually, I'm going to try the extended front base because one of the scopes I want to try is pretty short.

Just fun stuff to play with!

Peace,

Andy

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by OutKastActual
I can also do it this way with my cnc, But I figured the NULA crowd would stone me for not doing it Melvin's way, with Melvin's tools.

I like the hand-made feel of the number stamps myself.

A pleasure doing buisness with you, sir!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by longshot3631
Picked mine up today. I’m from WV so I stuck it out the truck window and shot a stop sign on the way home. Range report is good lol.

Sweet Swift, longshot3631!

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They are quality pieces and if I mount a big scope they will be sweet. They are high though and I'm kind of focused on a light weight, low mounted 2-7 right now. They are kind of an interrupted rail and what I really like about that is that being high and two-piece you can fit your thumb under the scope behind the front mount around the balance point of the rifle if you need to one hand it in the steep stuff and use the other hand for climbing which is way better than cupping the rifle with low mounts or a rail negating the millions of years of evolution that gave us thumbs! grin

[Linked Image]

Oh darn those are high, I just sent an nxs 2.5-10x42 in with mine to make sure everything fits. I’m looking for as low and light as well. Did they cut down a Talley rail to make yours or machined another way? I’ll have to ask if they can make some weavers if I go that route. Only other option is steel Talley but they’re heavy and don’t allow adjustment fore and aft to accommodate the short tube on the NXS.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Big Stick
LW's all the way to the crash. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Maybe you're right, Mr. Stick. The scopes in the running right now are light, though. The Leupold (yes, I know...) is 9.8oz and I've got a 12oz Burris FF2 2-7 and the Sig 2-7 illuminated is 15.2 oz. Guessing you broke those with big scopes. I do expect this thing to be a handful recoil-wise, however. If I break any Talleys, I'll post pics with an "I should have listened to Stick!"

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by OutKastActual

I like the hand-made feel of the number stamps myself.

A pleasure doing buisness with you, sir!

The pleasure was mine Sir. I hope you enjoy your rifle.

Glenn
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Oh darn those are high, I just sent an nxs 2.5-10x42 in with mine to make sure everything fits. I’m looking for as low and light as well. Did they cut down a Talley rail to make yours or machined another way? I’ll have to ask if they can make some weavers if I go that route. Only other option is steel Talley but they’re heavy and don’t allow adjustment fore and aft to accommodate the short tube on the NXS.

If OutKastActual would be willing to do it, a very low 2 piece pic like the Burris would be excellent. I'd be down for a couple of pairs and would be willing to mail in a Rem set for reference on how low they are.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

If OutKastActual would be willing to do it, a very low 2 piece pic like the Burris would be excellent. I'd be down for a couple of pairs and would be willing to mail in a Rem set for reference on how low they are.

Sure, send them in I'll have a look at them.

Glenn
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (264mag, 280Ackleyrized, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 17 invisible), 1,924 guests, and 920 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,536
Posts18,531,054
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.