Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I will shortly be getting my Pedersoli Brown Bess ready for its first turkey season. I'm looking for the best way to go about it.

I've got #6 chilled lead, and enough 3F to get me through until Friendship in June. Here are my options as I see them

1) Skychief Method-- I've got all the fixings.
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/skychiefs-shot-load-link.127394/
2) Shot Cup Method -- https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/premade-shot-cups-cartridges-how-to.113216/
3) The Corn Muffin Mix Method-- https://www.traditionalmuzzleloader.com/index.php/muffin-mix-turkey-loads
4) The Candle Load Method -- I've not found much info on this, but basically, you imbed your shot in paraffin. It's something I heard about way-way back.

Most of my shots in the past 20-some seasons are within 16 yards, so I'm not too worried about distance.

How do y'all go about it?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I used a Pedersoli 10 gauge muzzleloading SxS for years, more than just hunting too. My load consisted of 80 grains of FFg Goex powder, by volume, a lubed wonder wad over the powder (lubed with T/C's bore butter, won't harm the powder), an Alcan fiber or a BlueStreak wad, 1-1/4oz of nickle plated #5's by volume and then a thin overshot card. Never tried any corn muffin mix as a buffer, but like that idea after reading about it. This worked great in my gun and accounted for many turkey and pheasant. A change to non-toxic shot and it accounted for geese too. Also used it shooting trap, until the guys got tired of all the smoke! Lol! A couple things, when I first got it, I tried a load I wanted to, not as recommended by Pedersoli. Too much powder and too much shot got me a cracked stock at the barrel wedge pin. Some epoxy and brass pins took care of it, then reduced loads until I settled on the above. Second, I don't recommend the use of plastic wads, what a mess they made! Unless they've developed plastic wads now for use with blackpowder. Blackpowder burns hotter than smokeless and melted the wads into long thin threads of plastic, really junking everything up! Only "upgrade" I did to the Pedersoli was replace the #11 nipples with musket cap nipples.

Enjoy shaman, a lot of the fun in this is working up the load!

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 01/30/23.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will find out hopefully in April myself.

I'm having a custom flintlock fowler built right now by Ken Moors. It will be with the Colerain 20 gauge turkey choke barrel. Colerain makes the barrel taper down to a .580" choked section. It is 42" long. From what I've seen it will shoot right with a modern 20 gauge. My plan is Swiss 2F and some TSS #10s. Not sure what I will do for a cloth wad or something. A friend of a friend has the same barrel and he uses corn muffin mix as a buffer with no wad. He shoots TSS and the damage to his bore is extremely minimal.

Looking forward to getting the gun soon.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I'm back from Turkey Camp after my first trip down for the year. I spent most of Wednesday testing loads with the Brown Bess. It was a real mad scientist affair-- even brought test tubes!

Down to the farm

An interesting side note: Wednesday morning I heard some incredible gobbler action while I was drinking my coffee at the back of the house. There were 20 or more gobblers down in one holler. This is the most fired-up I've heard gobblers this early in the year.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,400
Posts18,470,126
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.