Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
The
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
If you haven’t had the pleasure of paying Texas property taxes, don’t complain about prices.

Back when old Heck was a pup, south Texas scrub brush ranchers hubbed it year after year to pay taxes, etc, every year. It was a hard scrabble lifestyle....but they had a bunch of really big bucks.
When corporations figured out that clients could be wined and dined while hunting and the cost could be written off as "entertainment" on their taxes, they went all in.
When ranchers figured out that leasing hunting to big corporations, Exxon, Mobil, Dr. Pepper, Frito-Lay to mention a few, would not only pay their property taxes, but would also replace revenues from low profit years, why the hell not?

If you're a corporation wanting to lease hunting rights for entertainment, where do you go to lease 10,000 (or more!) acres of land covered with some big old bucks?
TEXAS!
Not only did those old hardscrabble ranchers finally begin to make money, those corporations would come in and set up accommodations for their high dollar clients.
They hired ranch hands that knew the area as guides.
Local laborers earned money processing game.
Cooking. Cleaning. Driving.
Land that once would barely make a living was suddenly stuffing lean bank accounts and it hardly interfered with the ranchers chose profession...raising cattle!
Win-Win.

See continued rant below.....!

That makes a lot of sense, taxes are tough.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
In before someone complains that it should be free because they're doing the landowner a favor. Lmao

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RANT Pt 2

When hogs "really" became a problem, yes, ranchers, farmers and land owners were ecstatic to have hunters come in and reduce the pig population.
When Skeeter and Bud had a hot spot to hunt hogs for free, they took Willie and Joe Bob.
Willie and Joe Bob went back next week with 4 of their pals.
First thing you know, Farmer Brown is finding toothless, snuff dipping, red neck hog slayers all over his farm.
He's finding his fences cut, crops rutted by ATV's and 4WD's. Livestock injured or killed. Gates left open. Litter. Trees cut down. Impromptu fire pits and camp sites, etc, etc, etc!
Suddenly, allowing free hunting to get rid of hogs was costing more than the hog damage! 🤯
That's not to mention the suits filed by ne'er-do-well hunters (?) 'cause a bull stepped on his best "hawg dawg" and other idiotic BS suits.

SO....if you want to complain about the cost of a pig hunt, think about what it costs the landowner!
Sure, you're responsible, but he doesn't know that. You could just be another Skeeter or Possum.
Deer leases in Ok and Tx now often come with a liability release and a property damage clause.

You don't want to pay to kill a hog?
The landowner doesn't want to have to sell his land to cover legal expenses due to your stupidity.

That gate swings both ways!

Last edited by MartinStrummer; 01/31/23.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’d have to need the money real bad to make it worth fooling with a bunch of people I do not know with guns. We have to sign a disclaimer every year on our lease. I’ve killed hundreds and hundreds of pigs through the years. It ain’t all that, trapping them is more fun to me. I’d take the money, buy some good meat from a butcher. You could buy a hell of a lot of meat for what they are charging, plus travel expenses, but what the hell do I know.

The same could be said for me even having a lease. I probably spend 4,000 with cost of lease, corn, traveling back and forth to lease, food, beer, etc. since I retired I can go for 4 or 5 days which is nice.

Last edited by hanco; 01/31/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RANT Pt 3
When I was a kid, I wandered the entire country side.
Property owners around us knew us, knew where we lived and never minded our (Jim Ed & me) presence.
We didn't cut fences, only stole the smaller melons, didn't tear up crops, didn't leave gates open, etc, etc, etc....
If we did any of that, THEY would bust our butts, but they woukd tell our parents and we got our butts handed to us again. We would have to provide unpaid labor to correct our misbehavior, and then there was the possibility of barring access.

Then the suburbs came along.
Kids that had no idea about the responsibilities of a "country lifestyle" were soon wandering the countryside, cutting fences, burning barns, injuring livestock and damaging crops. Suddenly, free access was no longer available and "NO TRESPASSING" signs went up everywhere!!

Case in point:
Our neighbor had 80 acres. Some screwball city kid, despite the signs, trespassed. He decided to show his buddies he could walk the top wire of a barbed wire fence.
The ensuing injury resulted in near castration!
His parents sued the landowner.
The landowner ended up selling half his property to help cover legal expenses!

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
RANT Pt 3
Property owners around us knew us, knew where we lived and never minded our (Jim Ed & me) presence.
We didn't cut fences, only stole the smaller melons, didn't tear up crops, didn't leave gates open, etc, etc, etc....
If we did any of that, THEY would bust our butts, but they woukd tell our parents and we got our butts handed to us again. We would have to provide unpaid labor to correct our misbehavior, and then there was the possibility of barring access.

Kids that had no idea about the responsibilities of a "country lifestyle" were soon wandering the countryside, cutting fences, burning barns, injuring livestock and damaging crops. Suddenly, free access was no longer available and "NO TRESPASSING" signs went up everywhere!!

Case in point:
Our neighbor had 80 acres. Some screwball city kid, despite the signs, trespassed. He decided to show his buddies he could walk the top wire of a barbed wire fence.

How could an owner be liable for that?? If a car leaves the road, hits a tree in your yard, kills driver, family can sue you cause your tree killed driver??

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
You may not be.held responsible in court ,But .... They hire a Lawyer , you hire a Lawyer. Lawyers figure out pretty quickly what you have , and bingo they get it....

Hang on tight !
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Check out these guys. https://jagerpro.com/ It's been quit a few years ago since I hunted with them. But They are a first class operation. No fences, no tricks. Hunting free range hogs at night with top notch equipment. Hunting agg fields in Georgia. It was a blast. I went with 2 good friends. we killed 18 pigs between the 3 of us in one night.

Last edited by jc189; 01/31/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco
RANT Pt 3

Case in point:

How could an owner be liable for that?? If a car leaves the road, hits a tree in your yard, kills driver, family can sue you cause your tree killed driver??

Well, it was the late 70's when "litigation happy" became a "thing" and "city" people started moving to suburbia and home/property insurance wasn't such a big deal, etc, etc...
I do remember the landowner eventually had to sell part of his property to keep from losing ALL his property.
One of them "out of court" settlements.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RANT Pt 3

Case in point:

Well, it was the late 70's when "litigation happy" became a "thing" and "city" people started moving to suburbia and home/property insurance wasn't such a big deal, etc, etc...
I do remember the landowner eventually had to sell part of his property to keep from losing ALL his property.
One of them "out of court" settlements.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I’d have to need the money real bad to make it worth fooling with a bunch of people I do not know with guns. We have to sign a disclaimer every year on our lease. I’ve killed hundreds and hundreds of pigs through the years. It ain’t all that, trapping them is more fun to me. I’d take the money, buy some good meat from a butcher. You could buy a hell of a lot of meat for what they are charging, plus travel expenses, but what the hell do I know.

The same could be said for me even having a lease. I probably spend 4,000 with cost of lease, corn, traveling back and forth to lease, food, beer, etc. since I retired I can go for 4 or 5 days which is nice.

Per trip.......

Annual trespass fee..........$2K

640 miles round trip @ 12MPG ..........Say $160

20 gal gas for Generator.........$60

Food, Say ...$75

Ice........ $30

Adult Beverage & Stogies ....$75

Corn/Protein..... $150

total: +/- $715 per trip

Usually go about 12-15 times per year.

Did I mention I luv perforatin' hoglets!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I could do a hell of a elk or mule deer hunt for what I spend annually,

but then I'd have to have a guide and march to the beat of a different drummer

Nada!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
GWB,

I gotcha beat. I live on my lease.......own it even. smile The pigs are gone for now but will be back in force come March or April. I love pig hunting more than any other type of hunting. The last two years they have destroyed most of my crops but I have killed a bunch of them. I plan on building a big pig trap this year. I used to trap them and sell them. Prices went way down so I just started shooting them in the cage, dragging them to an open area where I could see them, and hunt coyotes over them. Keep up the good work Sir. smile

Jim

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by texasbatman
GWB,

I gotcha beat. I live on my lease.......own it even. smile The pigs are gone for now but will be back in force come March or April. I love pig hunting more than any other type of hunting. The last two years they have destroyed most of my crops but I have killed a bunch of them. I plan on building a big pig trap this year. I used to trap them and sell them. Prices went way down so I just started shooting them in the cage, dragging them to an open area where I could see them, and hunt coyotes over them. Keep up the good work Sir. smile

Jim

I love rolling up on a big pen full of pigs, then shoot cshit out of them. I have four round pens and a cage trap, caught 30 or more some weekends

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
What general area you huntin in Geedubya ? Looks alot like my lease in Comfort.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
It is easy to build a hog trap pen in east Texas with drive posts, better to prefab fence sections in Rocky country. You can set it up in ten minutes, move to different locations quickly.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by geedubya

Per trip.......

Annual trespass fee..........$2K

640 miles round trip @ 12MPG ..........Say $160

20 gal gas for Generator.........$60

Food, Say ...$75

Ice........ $30

Adult Beverage & Stogies ....$75

Corn/Protein..... $150

total: +/- $715 per trip

Usually go about 12-15 times per year.

Did I mention I luv perforatin' hoglets!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I could do a hell of a elk or mule deer hunt for what I spend annually,

but then I'd have to have a guide and march to the beat of a different drummer

Nada!

GWB

Do you have traps GWB ????

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Built several traps out of those 16 foot cattle panels. They work.
Built several making an angle iron frame and cover it with cattle panels.
Yeppers! A loaded pig trap does my heart good!

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Built several traps out of those 16 foot cattle panels. They work.
Built several making an angle iron frame and cover it with cattle panels.
Yeppers! A loaded pig trap does my heart good!

It has to be the 4”x4” or small pigs will go through, even hog panels at the top where holes are 6”x6”

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 1234, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,239 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,926
Posts18,479,807
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.