Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I know this has been covered a few times. but has anyone ever actually personally had an issue with tumbling live ammo?
personally if somebody asked me I would recommend against it but I've got to situation where I'm kind of curious..

and I mean tumbling in Walnut or corn cob in a vibrating tumbler...

my live ammo I mean primed powdered bullet seated everything..

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
No, it's not a good idea. But thanks for bringing up this thread. It reminded me I needed to buy some more Tufnut media..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I would be afraid of turning the power, into taclum power consistency. Thus changing the burn rate. That said I have never attempted !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Prolly wont hurt a F-ing thing... But, Like Elvis... I'd leave the building... Oh, And one more thing... Didn't Curiosity Kill the Cat?...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Live ammo is tumbled during the manufacturing process.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve done it without issue. I wouldn’t tumble it too much but if you don’t get obsessive you should be fine.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use a Lyman turbo vibrating tumbler and vibrate all my ammunition after I load it to clean the case lube off. There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing that.

However, I did miss a prairie dog a couple weeks ago, so there may be some truth to the powder degradation from tumbling…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I’ve done it without issue. I wouldn’t tumble it too much but if you don’t get obsessive you should be fine.
what's too much ?

L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I use a Lyman turbo vibrating tumbler and vibrate all my ammunition after I load it to clean the case lube off. There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing that.

However, I did miss a prairie dog a couple weeks ago, so there may be some truth to the powder degradation from tumbling…
i bet it was a swift anyway with a leupold ... 😁

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Always wondered that myself...but admittedly too much of a chicken$hit to try. I’m the poor ba$tard that something would just have to go wrong during the process!

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
There was a test done on another forum that involved quite a period of time spent tumbling live ammo. Periodic disassembly showed no deterioration.

I've done it for a ½ hour to remove lubricant from the cases, chronographing indicated no change.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Wonder if 1/2 hour in a vibratory cleaner would be worse for it than riding in a truck from a factory in Arkansas or Missouri? Or a ship from Korea or Europe?

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm lucky but I have always done it to clean lube off and make my ammo pretty. Never had a round go off, get damaged or have different velocity/pressure from it. Like was mentioned above the factory does it although I don't know for how long. A couple hours in the vibrator polishes them up nice.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ldholton
what's too much ?

I dunno, you tell me. I haven’t gotten obsessive with it so I don’t know where the outer limits are. 😀

I’d imagine you could tumble them until you get to the point that when you squeeze the trigger it sounds like a fart and back off from there. When I’ve “needed” to tumble loaded brass I tumble for several hours and that accomplishes my goal.

How long do you need to tumble your brass for?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Might be a way to explain a major fire at your home to an arson investigator.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Is that anything like driving down a rough ass road with the ammo rattling around in a box for 2 years?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
All of my ammo that comes from my progressive gets tumbled after loading. I tumble them about an hour'ish in order to get the Hornady 1 shot off of them.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Did you forget the smiley emoji, shrap? smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
For the guys tumbling to get the lube off. Why not just wipe it with a rag with some mineral spirits or such on it?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by ldholton
what's too much ?
Enough to mess with the coating they use to control burn rate.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 153, 67 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,536
Posts18,472,786
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.