Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Tee that is a fine looking piece. I have debated putting a red dot in the back dovetail on one of mine...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Bought one in 1982 , it did not seem as solid as my Buddy's older model 44 . I think they went from milled steel to investment casting . He killed a boatload of bucks in NY state with his. From what I understand parts are hard to find and Ruger no longer services them.

My brother had one from that era. It didn't seem as solid as my old one. The guy he bought it from included a bunch of 180 grain loads with H-110 that shot really well in it. I almost want to say it had a "hardwood" stock rather than the walnut mine had, but I don't really remember. I don't think my brother kept it more than a couple of years.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wanted one since I was a kid. A few years ago a guy I worked with told me his Dad was getting rid of some of his guns. He told me he had a Ruger .44 carbine. He wanted $600 for it, but sold it to me for $450. Excellent condition. It was made in 1967. I’ve only shot it maybe 20 times. Cool factor is why I bought it.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
You got a buy on that one. It is all one needs for northeast woods hunting at typical distances. If PA had allowed semis Ruger would have sold a lot more.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've had a number of 44 carbines over the years, two of them broke the trigger housings internally. I eventually got rid of all of them when I landed a mint early "deerstalker" model. I know for a fact, the guy I got it from regrets his decision to let it go! grin

I collect expensive hobbies.
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I've had two of these (the orginal model); one I bought new the other used. I don't know what the attraction is. Mine are long gone. Lots of other 100 yard deer rifles out there.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by lotech
I've had two of these (the orginal model); one I bought new the other used. I don't know what the attraction is. Mine are long gone. Lots of other 100 yard deer rifles out there.
I'm just a fan of the 44 mag rifles. Aside from the Ruger carbine, I have a number of Marlin lever actions in 44 mag. One that I don't have is the Ruger 77/44. Had a stainless one and sold it. Then wished I didn't.

I collect expensive hobbies.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by lotech
I've had two of these (the orginal model); one I bought new the other used. I don't know what the attraction is. .

Why did you buy two of them?

Mathew 22: 37-39

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Palmetto State Armory should start making these since they are off patent. They would sell like hotcakes

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Reading a link that was in another link posted here I saw a list of the 5 worst rifles and the Ruger Deerstalker was right behind the Savage 340 pop metal supreme. 😀

I hunted west side Blacktail one year with a Deerstalker and it was a pleasure to carry. I wanted a buck and didn’t settle for a doe so I didn’t get a shot but based on my previous experience with it at the range I was comfortable with shots under 75 yards. In the environment I was hunting I wasn’t concerned with shots over 75 yards anyway.

Lead bullets are not recommended since the lead can “shave off” and plug the gas ports.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dont have the semi auto but just picked up a stainless 77/44

Will satisfy the goofy Michigan straight wall requirement in the southern part of the state where I recently gained permission to hunt

Has a 2-7 Leupold on it.

Hoping it will be minute of deer at 75 yards, which will be a typical shot where I have access

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916
Dont have the semi auto but just picked up a stainless 77/44

Will satisfy the goofy Michigan straight wall requirement in the southern part of the state where I recently gained permission to hunt

Has a 2-7 Leupold on it.

Hoping it will be minute of deer at 75 yards, which will be a typical shot where I have access

I would love to hear how accurately it shoots when you get to try it out.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I just got home with mine, a friend who recently passed daughter let me pick a couple out. I'll hopefully get some better pictures in daylight tomorrow.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sorry about your buddy, but nice that you got a couple of guns to remember him by.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by pullit
Sorry about your buddy, but nice that you got a couple of guns to remember him by.

Thank you.

Not really better pictures but the best I could do this morning before heading to the tire shop.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Ive shot the standard and the sporter, but never an international.

Pops had a decent sporter and a couple standards.
Sold the standards to buds way back.

Pops still had the sporter, '66 model and I took a deer with it when they first allowed PCR.

Trigger housings and stocks can crack. Wasnt gonna risk it, or mod to help reduce risk. So didnt purchase it from dads estate.

Have handled 1022 and .44s in all three configs. Sporter (fingergroove ) is the only one I like.

Last edited by hookeye; 02/07/23.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 15 invisible), 1,598 guests, and 956 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,716
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.